Maiden

Default Recipe: Banana Cake/Bars (with barley malt & stevia)

Hi, I'm not really a regular, but since I couldn't find any e.z.
(basic) recipe online for use of barley malt syrup in a cake recipe, I
devised one, and it isn't all that bad for someone who prefers
"not-too-sweet".

The texture is lite, a bit like honey cake - and when I eat it I feel
as if its nutritive/filling properties should "stick in there" &
recharge me for awhile.

Anyway, I decided to post it, for the record. Just don't murder me if
ya don't like it! Not everyone has a not-too-sweet-tooth...

Recipe:
"Not-too-sweet" Banana Cake/Bars (with barley malt & stevia):

1/3 c. oil (a bit more)
1/3 c. barley malt syrup (a bit more)
4 [one-gram] packets stevia
4 small ripe bananas mashed (hey, would this work w/applesauce too??
2 large eggs
3 c. flour (of which approx. 1/4 c. is whole wheat flour)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (can be less to suit you)

Mix.
Spread batter in 9 x 13 pan.
Stick 42 chocolate bits inside.
Place the choco bits evenly in array of:
6 choco-bits width / 7 choco-bits length

This small amount of choco-bits seems to work the trick to add the
"missing" flavoring, while keeping it pretty healthy & not too
irritating.

Bake in 375 degree oven - 20 min.
N. Thornton

(Maiden) wrote in message . com>...

> Recipe:
> "Not-too-sweet" Banana Cake/Bars (with barley malt & stevia):
>
> 1/3 c. oil (a bit more)
> 1/3 c. barley malt syrup (a bit more)
> 4 [one-gram] packets stevia
> 4 small ripe bananas mashed (hey, would this work w/applesauce too??
> 2 large eggs
> 3 c. flour (of which approx. 1/4 c. is whole wheat flour)
> 2 tsp. baking soda
> 1 tsp. salt (can be less to suit you)
>
> Mix.
> Spread batter in 9 x 13 pan.
> Stick 42 chocolate bits inside.
> Place the choco bits evenly in array of:
> 6 choco-bits width / 7 choco-bits length
>
> This small amount of choco-bits seems to work the trick to add the
> "missing" flavoring, while keeping it pretty healthy & not too
> irritating.
>
> Bake in 375 degree oven - 20 min.

An unusual recipe there. I'd definitely try it if it wasnt for the
malt.

If the applesauce is just cooked apple then yes it works from a
structure POV. I have used apples in place of bananas, and the cakes
tend to be denser and the flavour not as good, but it works. For best
flavour though I find banana cake recipes too heavily flavoured for
apple, better I think to use a very light flavoured cake, with apple
as almost the only flavour.

One can also use fruit in cake rather than sugar or concentrated
sweeteners - currants work fairly well with banana cake, they make it
darker and heavier in taste. Mixed fruit works too. I've never
understood why people pour such huge amounts of sugar into cakes.

Regards, NT
Maiden

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com>...

> An unusual recipe there. I'd definitely try it if it wasnt for the
> malt.
>
> If the applesauce is just cooked apple then yes it works from a
> structure POV. I have used apples in place of bananas, and the cakes
> tend to be denser and the flavour not as good, but it works. For best
> flavour though I find banana cake recipes too heavily flavoured for
> apple, better I think to use a very light flavoured cake, with apple
> as almost the only flavour.
>
> One can also use fruit in cake rather than sugar or concentrated
> sweeteners - currants work fairly well with banana cake, they make it
> darker and heavier in taste. Mixed fruit works too. I've never
> understood why people pour such huge amounts of sugar into cakes.
>

> Regards, NT

Thanks for your comments, NT! I'm eating the stuff, and I'm finding it
quite OK & filling. Yet even this leaves a bit of an acidic aftertaste
if ya know what I mean, though if I take it together with mild tea, it
may be a bit better.

Then again, I get these aftertastes from many cakes I eat - could be
that it's caused by whole-grain flours. Maybe I should have eliminated
the whole wheat in the above recipe, who knows.. I know that oats and
whole wheat tested bad for me kineseologically, and I bet that's
because of them triggering acid reaction in my already overly-acidic
body. Molasses tested good for me, and I bet barley malt & rice syrup
would also test good.

BTW, concentrated starches, such as too-dense potatoes, cause me bad
joint pains. Cherries have the opposite effect - they're really great,
even heal internal bleeding when taken on empty stomach.

I know people consider chocolate cake unhealthy, but believe it or
not, some deliciously moist chocolate cake recipes which call for
loads of sugar PLUS lots of eggs PLUS regular white flour, leave me
feeling pretty good, with no acidic aftertaste.

So sometimes I wonder - should I listen to all the "health food hype"?
Or, should I listen to what my body is telling me?
Maiden

(Maiden) wrote in message . com>...

> > So sometimes I wonder - should I listen to all the "health food hype"?
> > Or, should I listen to what my body is telling me?

> Our bodies can only tell us short term things, not what the incidence
> of heart attacks and cancer is going to be later on. But they will
> tell us if something isnt working right short term.
>

> Regards, NT

I hear what you're saying NT, but nevertheless, from my real-life
experience I find there's such a thing as food properties
counteracting each others' ill effects - to cause a good reaction.
I.E. it's just a matter of food combining. For example, granola or
orange juice in & of themselves may be too irritating, but when
accompanied with milk/cream, they become more tolerable.

And in the case of chocolate cake, my hunch tells me that the white
flour & eggs within chocolate cake may NOT build up in the body,
because the sugar & cocoa (also within choco cake) have the properties
of triggering digestion and thus propelling & expelling any potential
sticky build-up. And vice versa, any irritating (acid-reacting)
properties of the cake's sugar & cocoa are counterbalanced by the
lysine/mucuous properties of the eggs - toward a synergistic effect.

P.S. Back to the subject of barley malt, for anyone interested in some
more barley malt (& other) ideas, here are some healthy & filling
instant-snacks which can serve as either snacks or meals:

Rice cakes slathered with coconut oil & barley malt

Rice cakes slathered with coconut oil & rice syrup

Rice cakes slathered with sesame butter & barley malt (cheaper than
coconut oil

Rice cakes slathered with sesame butter & rice syrup (ditto)

(Molasses too, if you go for the stronger flavor. And molasses
provides iron.

And wash down the above snack with warm water or super-green powder
dissolved in water, or mullein tea, or decaf spearmint tea.

N. Thornton

(Maiden) wrote in message . com>...

> > > So sometimes I wonder - should I listen to all the "health food hype"?
> > > Or, should I listen to what my body is telling me?

> > Our bodies can only tell us short term things, not what the incidence
> > of heart attacks and cancer is going to be later on. But they will
> > tell us if something isnt working right short term.
> >

> > Regards, NT

> I hear what you're saying NT, but nevertheless, from my real-life
> experience I find there's such a thing as food properties
> counteracting each others' ill effects - to cause a good reaction.
> I.E. it's just a matter of food combining. For example, granola or
> orange juice in & of themselves may be too irritating, but when
> accompanied with milk/cream, they become more tolerable.

Yes Ive come across that too, though thats entirely different to whats above.

> And in the case of chocolate cake, my hunch tells me that the white
> flour & eggs within chocolate cake may NOT build up in the body,
> because the sugar & cocoa (also within choco cake) have the properties
> of triggering digestion and thus propelling & expelling any potential
> sticky build-up. And vice versa, any irritating (acid-reacting)
> properties of the cake's sugar & cocoa are counterbalanced by the
> lysine/mucuous properties of the eggs - toward a synergistic effect.

Anything to back that guess up?

Regards, NT
Maiden

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com>...

> > I hear what you're saying NT, but nevertheless, from my real-life
> > experience I find there's such a thing as food properties
> > counteracting each others' ill effects - to cause a good reaction.
> > I.E. it's just a matter of food combining. For example, granola or
> > orange juice in & of themselves may be too irritating, but when
> > accompanied with milk/cream, they become more tolerable.

> Yes Ive come across that too, though thats entirely different to whats above.
>

> > And in the case of chocolate cake, my hunch tells me that the white
> > flour & eggs within chocolate cake may NOT build up in the body,
> > because the sugar & cocoa (also within choco cake) have the properties
> > of triggering digestion and thus propelling & expelling any potential
> > sticky build-up. And vice versa, any irritating (acid-reacting)
> > properties of the cake's sugar & cocoa are counterbalanced by the
> > lysine/mucuous properties of the eggs - toward a synergistic effect.

> Anything to back that guess up?
>

> Regards, NT

Nah ;-)

it's based on my personal experience with combining various foods, &
if there's one thing I learned - it's that even the "professionals"
(both mainstream & alternative) are full of hype themselves, and they
all basically mimic each other with perhaps a few variations here &
there. For example, the latest "they" claim is that canola oil is
unhealthy. Well, my *body* tells me canola is good for me, and that I
get adverse reactions when I sautee in olive oil, especially virgin
olive oil, and *especially* if I fry onions in olive oil. I do *not*
get those reactions from canola! "They" are also claiming that
microwaved food is unhealthy, but my body doesn't agree with that. And
so much more... So who should I believe? The "professionals" over my
own body? No thank you, I trust my body more.
;-)
Roy Basan

(Maiden) wrote in message . com>...

> > > So sometimes I wonder - should I listen to all the "health food hype"?
> > > Or, should I listen to what my body is telling me?

> > Our bodies can only tell us short term things, not what the incidence
> > of heart attacks and cancer is going to be later on. But they will
> > tell us if something isnt working right short term.
> >

> > Regards, NT

> I hear what you're saying NT, but nevertheless, from my real-life
> experience I find there's such a thing as food properties
> counteracting each others' ill effects - to cause a good reaction.
> I.E. it's just a matter of food combining. For example, granola or
> orange juice in & of themselves may be too irritating, but when
> accompanied with milk/cream, they become more tolerable.

How can that be that granola bars and orange juice be irritating....
The digestive system cannot discriminate that if compared to eating
muesli with orange juice.
Milk and cream when mixed in the bowl with acidic substance may have a
tendency to clot....we are not sure that it goes the same way down our
stomach.
When we consume milk and cream successively it is just broken down by
our digestive system by enzymatic means to digestible products.
> And in the case of chocolate cake, my hunch tells me that the white
> flour & eggs within chocolate cake may NOT build up in the body,
> because the sugar & cocoa (also within choco cake) have the properties
> of triggering digestion and thus propelling & expelling any potential
> sticky build-up. And vice versa, any irritating (acid-reacting)
> properties of the cake's sugar & cocoa are counterbalanced by the
> lysine/mucuous properties of the eggs - toward a synergistic effect.

Sounds like Taoist type of food combining….. and other related
naturopathic claim by practitioner of alternative medicine.
Unfortunately there is not a reliable scientific evidence to back up
such claim.
IIRC there is also a version in ayurvedic medicine

Biochemicaly flour contains carbohydrates and eggs contains fats and
even cholesterol that can be accumulated later in the arteries in
later life and can lead to cardiovascular problems.

I do not understand either how chemically sugar and cocoa had such
‘trigger happy attitude' to digestion. Both of these materials
contains carbohydrates and even fat.They just pass through our
alimentary system like other foods with ho spectacular effect on our
body.
These will build up first when the starches are converted to sugars by
the amylolytic enzyme ptyalin in the saliva to sugar ( likely
glucose ) and the other parts by the instestinal amylases.
This sugar can encourage the bacteria in mouth called streptococcus
mutans to produce plaque build up by biochemically converting them to
acids which can promote the build up of dextran polymer created by the
same microbe which is that accumulate in the nooks and cranies in the
gums and teeth location.
Cocoa can contain the alkaloid theobromine which has stimulating
effect like caffeine to the nervous system and indeed may trigger the
neurotransmitters to dictate the body that the appetite needs to be
whetted.oe otherwise. Indeed it is true that sugar and cocoa will
finally form acids and cocoa( if its natural is slightly acidic).
Now regarding the lysine/mucous properties.
It is not lysine and amino acid but possibly an enzyme(IIRC lyase that
dissolves some cell wall components that can disrupt pathogen cell
walls and led to its destruction. This particular enzyme( protein) is
present in egg white and saliva.
Now mucus is just part of body fluids a complex mixture usually a
polymeric complex of carbohydrates, proteins and fats dispersed in
water which controls its visocosity..
If the poster says that due to the mucilaginous properties of mucus
it can neutralize the bad effect in consuming offensive items. I do
not see that there is enough scientific evidence to support that……
maybe that is a plausible explanation from naturopathic or any new
age alternative medicine description. But what ever it is was not
concretely proven by pragmatic and exacting techniques of modern
science.

> P.S. Back to the subject of barley malt, for anyone interested in some
> more barley malt (& other) ideas, here are some healthy & filling
> instant-snacks which can serve as either snacks or meals:
>
> Rice cakes slathered with coconut oil & barley malt

that will increase you saturated fat in your body as well as your
blood sugar and also calories totally.
> Rice cakes slathered with coconut oil & rice syrup

the same also with here....
> Rice cakes slathered with sesame butter & barley malt (cheaper than
> coconut oil

WEell sesame oil may contain more polyunsaturates than coconut oil but
its still fat. and that offer more of calory per gram compared to
sugars and starches.

> And wash down the above snack with warm water or super-green powder
> dissolved in water, or mullein tea, or decaf spearmint tea.

Now washing tbose things with herbal tea will not make you more
healthy either.
Such unique tea can introduce other factors that have questionable
health benefits..... There are phytochemicals that even cause allergy
in many people;Only those people who follow alternative healthstyle
which they believe will make them healthy without the benefit of
scientific proof...

It is better just to eat piece of banana cake/bars and drink a
wholesome fruit juice or just plain mineral water and you will feel
satiated and still healthy as long as you do not overindulge in such
high sugar foodstuff.
Roy