JOAT

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make caramel or Dulce De Leche?
And tips on how to store it in jars or cans?
Vox Humana

"JOAT" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make caramel or Dulce De Leche?
> And tips on how to store it in jars or cans?

The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of sweetened
condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4 the way
up the can. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Let cool
completely before opening. You can turn the can over after 30 minutes.
Store in a jar or plastic container. It should keep for a couple of weeks
in the refrigerator, maybe more

A quicker method is to use a pressure cooker. Cook at pressure for 30
minutes -- 45 minutes if you want it darker.

Brian Mailman

Vox Humana wrote:

> The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of sweetened
> condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4 the way
> up the can.

That's an easy way to make an explosion.

Add water to completely cover the can AT ALL TIMES by at least 2". Do
not answer the phone while this is going on. Do not answer the door.
Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Making this is safe, but it does need to be watched, do not allow the
can to 'surface' in the water at any time.

B/
Dimitri

"JOAT" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make caramel or Dulce De Leche?
> And tips on how to store it in jars or cans?

Here is what the company says:

http://www.eaglebrand.com/detail.asp?rid=825

Ingredients
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)

Instructions
OVEN METHOD: Pour 1 can Eagle Brand into 9-inch pie plate. Cover with
aluminum foil; place in larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with hot water.
Bake at 425º for 1 hour or until thick and caramel-colored. Beat until
smooth.

STOVETOP METHOD: Pour 1 can Eagle Brand into top of double boiler; place
over boiling water. Over low heat, simmer 1 to 1/2 hours or until thick and
caramel-colored, stirring occasionally. Beat until smooth.

MICROWAVE METHOD: Pour 1 can Eagle Brand into 2-quart glass measuring cup.
Cook on 50% power (medium) 4 minutes, stirring briskly every 2 minutes until
smooth. Cook on 30% power (medium-low) 20 to 25 minutes or until very thick
and caramel-colored, stirring briskly every 4 minutes during the first 16
minutes and every 2 minutes during the last 4 to 10 minutes.

Dimitri

jacqui{JB}

[non-food groups removed -- to the OP, please don't cross-post into
unrelated groups and, indeed, try to keep cross-posting to a minimum]

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> > Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make
> > caramel or Dulce De Leche? And tips on how
> > to store it in jars or cans?

> The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put
> an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk into
> a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4 the
> way up the can. Bring to a boil and simmer for about
> an hour. Let cool completely before opening. You
> can turn the can over after 30 minutes. Store in a jar
> or plastic container. It should keep for a couple of
> weeks in the refrigerator, maybe more

I have to say that boiling unopened cans is way past my personal risk
threshold. No criticism of those who do it; just a different point of
view.

You can also take the long way around and make dulce de leche from
scratch. Following are a couple of recipes that entered my collection
in 2001, from rec.food.recipes, posted by linda/tennessee.
-j

***
Dulce de Leche
Makes 1.75 pounds
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
"This is a typical sweet from Argentina. You can eat it alone, use it
to fill cakes, or serve over bananas, ice-cream or any other dessert!"

1 gallon milk
1 vanilla bean
4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda

In a large saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium-high heat.
Remove from heat and strain through cheesecloth. Return to pan. Cut
vanilla bean in half and pour the seeds in the milk. Stir in the sugar
and replace the pan on medium heat, stirring constantly until the
sugar is dissolved. Just as the milk mixture begins to boil, stir in
the baking soda. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring
frequently, until mixture thickens. When a wooden spoon drawn through
the mixture leaves the bottom of the pan visible, and the mixture is
light brown in color, remove the pan from the heat. Place the pan in
an ice bath and stir constantly until dulce de leche is cold. Store
in airtight container in refrigerator.
Makes 1.75 pounds

Dulce de Leche
This recipe is adapted from an article which appeared in the daily New
York Times. Dulce de leche (pronounced DOOL-say duh LAY-chay) meaning
"sweet from milk." Is an Hispanic term for a caramel sauce, which is a
traditional flavoring "south of the border" and has been adopted
recently as an ice-cream flavoring in America. The flavoring is made
by simmering sweetened milk until it turns thick and amber. Reprinted
here are a recipe for the basic sauce as well as two recipes using
this flavoring.

1 quart whole milk
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch cinnamon.

Combine ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Place over medium heat
and cook without stirring until mixture boils, 15 to 20 minutes.
Briefly remove from heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring
frequently with a wooden spoon,
45 minutes to one hour. When mixture becomes a caramel color and is
thick enough that you can see the bottom of the pan as you stir,
remove it from heat. Use at room temperature or cover and refrigerate.
Yield: 2 cups.

Bill

jacqui{JB} wrote:

> I have to say that boiling unopened cans is way past my personal risk
> threshold. No criticism of those who do it; just a different point of
> view.

This was a hot topic of discussion amongst a group of avid cooks that
included several engineers. The consensus was that as long as it was
allowed to cook completely before opening the pressure cooker method was
completely safe and that if care is taken the water bath method is safe.

The water bath method was deemed safe as long as the cans were kept
completely covered with water and the cooking held to a simmer. The
condensed milk inside the cans has a higher boiling point than the water
around them and as such will never reach boiling point. As such the worst
that could happen is that a rare can might burst but would never explode.
I have done this several times and not seen a hint of a problem. If you
forget about it and the water boils away that is a whole 'nother story.

Vox Humana

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of

sweetened
> > condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4 the

way
> > up the can.

> That's an easy way to make an explosion.
>
> Add water to completely cover the can AT ALL TIMES by at least 2". Do
> not answer the phone while this is going on. Do not answer the door.
> Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
>
> Making this is safe, but it does need to be watched, do not allow the
> can to 'surface' in the water at any time.
>
> B/

Why does covering the can make it safer?

Betty Sue Stein

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message >.. .
> "JOAT" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make caramel or Dulce De Leche?
> > And tips on how to store it in jars or cans?

> The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of sweetened
> condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4 the way
> up the can. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Let cool
> completely before opening. You can turn the can over after 30 minutes.
> Store in a jar or plastic container. It should keep for a couple of weeks
> in the refrigerator, maybe more
>
> A quicker method is to use a pressure cooker. Cook at pressure for 30
> minutes -- 45 minutes if you want it darker.

An even quicker way is to buy it by the can, already made. You can
find it in your supermarket next to the condensed sweetened milk.
Taste the same as if you boil it yourself.

Here is what it looks like in this pictu

http://www.clubbizarre.com/layout/oma.jpg
Dimitri

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
news

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Vox Humana wrote:
> >
> > > The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of

> sweetened
> > > condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4

the
> way
> > > up the can.

> > That's an easy way to make an explosion.
> >
> > Add water to completely cover the can AT ALL TIMES by at least 2". Do
> > not answer the phone while this is going on. Do not answer the door.
> > Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
> >
> > Making this is safe, but it does need to be watched, do not allow the
> > can to 'surface' in the water at any time.
> >
> > B/

> Why does covering the can make it safer?

Dimitri

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
news

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Vox Humana wrote:
> >
> > > The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of

> sweetened
> > > condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4

the
> way
> > > up the can.

> > That's an easy way to make an explosion.
> >
> > Add water to completely cover the can AT ALL TIMES by at least 2". Do
> > not answer the phone while this is going on. Do not answer the door.
> > Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
> >
> > Making this is safe, but it does need to be watched, do not allow the
> > can to 'surface' in the water at any time.
> >
> > B/

> Why does covering the can make it safer?

Water under normal pressure conditions will not exceed 212 degrees (the
boiling point). The water prevents the contents from getting too hot and
exploding the can.

Dimitri

Vox Humana

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> news

> > sweetened

> the
> > way
> > >
> > > That's an easy way to make an explosion.
> > >
> > > Add water to completely cover the can AT ALL TIMES by at least 2". Do
> > > not answer the phone while this is going on. Do not answer the door.
> > > Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
> > >
> > > Making this is safe, but it does need to be watched, do not allow the
> > > can to 'surface' in the water at any time.
> > >
> > > B/

> > Why does covering the can make it safer?

> Water under normal pressure conditions will not exceed 212 degrees (the
> boiling point). The water prevents the contents from getting too hot and
> exploding the can.
>
> Dimitri

I understand that part. I just question why Brian claims that the can has
to be completely submerged.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > > Why does covering the can make it safer?

> > Water under normal pressure conditions will not exceed 212 degrees (the
> > boiling point). The water prevents the contents from getting too hot and
> > exploding the can.
> >
> > Dimitri

> I understand that part. I just question why Brian claims that the can has
> to be completely submerged.

Much cross posting snipped
Only thing I can think of is even cooking of the contents. If the can is
out of the water, it will be exposed to steam at 212, but no higher. I
don't see how else the contents would be affected. Am I missing something?
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Vox Humana

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> > > Water under normal pressure conditions will not exceed 212 degrees

(the
> > > boiling point). The water prevents the contents from getting too hot

and
> > > exploding the can.
> > >
> > > Dimitri

> > I understand that part. I just question why Brian claims that the can

has
> > to be completely submerged.

> Much cross posting snipped
> Only thing I can think of is even cooking of the contents. If the can is
> out of the water, it will be exposed to steam at 212, but no higher. I
> don't see how else the contents would be affected. Am I missing

something?

I don't think so. The post that I quested said that the can would explode
if it wasn't completely submerged. It seems to me that having part of the
can exposed would actually reduce the internal temperature and the pressure.
The can would act like a radiator. Since PV=NRT, the pressure would have to
be lower in a cooler can since the rest of the parameters (V,N, and R) would
be constant.

Brian Mailman

*non food groups snecked*

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > news

> > > sweetened

> > the
> > > way

> > > Why does covering the can make it safer?

> > Water under normal pressure conditions will not exceed 212 degrees (the
> > boiling point). The water prevents the contents from getting too hot and
> > exploding the can.
> >
> > Dimitri

> I understand that part. I just question why Brian claims that the can has
> to be completely submerged.

So it doesn't explode because the contents overheat, just like Dimitri
explained. A can by its nature is a sealed container--i.e., it will
become a pressure cooker.

Surrounding it with water that _cannot_, under normal pressure, ever
exceed the boiling point at that pressure alleviates that concern.

Of course, there are some people who wish to demonstrate evolution in
action....

B/
Vox Humana

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> *non food groups snecked*
>
> Vox Humana wrote:
> >
> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > >
> > > "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > > news > > > >

3/4
> > > the

> > > Water under normal pressure conditions will not exceed 212 degrees

(the
> > > boiling point). The water prevents the contents from getting too hot

and
> > > exploding the can.
> > >
> > > Dimitri

> > I understand that part. I just question why Brian claims that the can

has
> > to be completely submerged.

> So it doesn't explode because the contents overheat, just like Dimitri
> explained. A can by its nature is a sealed container--i.e., it will
> become a pressure cooker.
>
> Surrounding it with water that _cannot_, under normal pressure, ever
> exceed the boiling point at that pressure alleviates that concern.
>
> Of course, there are some people who wish to demonstrate evolution in
> action....

The procedure that I posted said to bring the water up 3/4 of the way on the
can. I don't see how leaving the TOP 1/4 of the can exposed to the
atmosphere which is going to be far cooler than 212F will cause the can to
overheat. I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I can't think of any
reason why you would be right. I can see how the contents of the can might
not cook evenly if isn't fully covered, but that is the opposite of having
the can explode.

zxcvbob

Vox Humana wrote:
> I can see how the contents of the can might
> not cook evenly if isn't fully covered, but that is the opposite of having
> the can explode.

Making sure the can is fully submerged doesn't do anything except give you
more water in the pot so it takes longer to boil dry while you're not
watching it.

It's a harmless but needless precaution. Just like sterilizing your jars
before you fill them when you're gonna pressure-can them anyway.

I think pressure cooking several unopened cans at once for an hour at 15
pounds makes sense; the extra cans can be stored on the shelf ready-to-use.

Best regards,
Bob

William Graham

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
news

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> > Vox Humana wrote:
> >
> > > The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of

> sweetened
> > > condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4

the
> way
> > > up the can.

> > That's an easy way to make an explosion.
> >
> > Add water to completely cover the can AT ALL TIMES by at least 2". Do
> > not answer the phone while this is going on. Do not answer the door.
> > Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
> >
> > Making this is safe, but it does need to be watched, do not allow the
> > can to 'surface' in the water at any time.
> >
> > B/

> Why does covering the can make it safer?

I don't think covering the can is necessary....But you don't want to run out
of water, so put the can in a large pot with lots of water, and watch it so
you don't forget it....If you run out of water it will explode....As long as
there's plenty of water, the contents of the can won't boil because they are
under slightly higher pressure, and the water in your pot won't go over
boiling at normal atmospheric pressure, so it's safe.....

Vox Humana

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
> > I can see how the contents of the can might
> > not cook evenly if isn't fully covered, but that is the opposite of

having
> > the can explode.
> >

> Making sure the can is fully submerged doesn't do anything except give you
> more water in the pot so it takes longer to boil dry while you're not
> watching it.
>
> It's a harmless but needless precaution. Just like sterilizing your jars
> before you fill them when you're gonna pressure-can them anyway.
>
> I think pressure cooking several unopened cans at once for an hour at 15
> pounds makes sense; the extra cans can be stored on the shelf

ready-to-use.

> Best regards,
> Bob

That all makes sense to me.

Vox Humana

"William Graham" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> news

> > sweetened

> the
> > way
> > >
> > > That's an easy way to make an explosion.
> > >
> > > Add water to completely cover the can AT ALL TIMES by at least 2". Do
> > > not answer the phone while this is going on. Do not answer the door.
> > > Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
> > >
> > > Making this is safe, but it does need to be watched, do not allow the
> > > can to 'surface' in the water at any time.
> > >
> > > B/

> > Why does covering the can make it safer?
> >

> I don't think covering the can is necessary....But you don't want to run
out
> of water, so put the can in a large pot with lots of water, and watch it

so
> you don't forget it....If you run out of water it will explode....As long

as
> there's plenty of water, the contents of the can won't boil because they

are
> under slightly higher pressure, and the water in your pot won't go over
> boiling at normal atmospheric pressure, so it's safe.....

The reason then is to have more water as insurance against boiling the pan
dry. That makes sense, but is a different matter than "the can will explode
if it isn't fully submerged."

Julia Altshuler

Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
thread. I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
milk in the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea. One of the brands
has even started printing warnings on the label.

And while I'm at admonitions, why the unrelated cross posts? (I erased
them.)

--Lia

Vox Humana wrote:

> The easy way to make Dulce De Leche is to put an unopened can of sweetened
> condensed milk into a small pan. Add water to bring it to about 3/4 the way
> up the can. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Let cool
> completely before opening. You can turn the can over after 30 minutes.
> Store in a jar or plastic container. It should keep for a couple of weeks
> in the refrigerator, maybe more
>
> A quicker method is to use a pressure cooker. Cook at pressure for 30
> minutes -- 45 minutes if you want it darker.

LIMEYNO1

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: Dulce De Leche
Recipe By:
Category: Dairy
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 4 Serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
1 qt Whole milk*
2 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Baking soda
pinch Cinnamon

[Preparation]
This recipe is adapted from an article which appeared in the
daily New York Times. Dulce de leche (pronounced DOOL-say duh
LAY-chay) meaning "sweet from milk." Is an Hispanic term for a
caramel sauce, which is a traditional flavoring "south of the
border" and has been adopted recently as an ice-cream flavoring
in America. The flavoring is made by simmering sweetened milk
until it turns thick and amber. Reprinted here are a recipe for
the basic sauce as well as two recipes using this flavoring. A
note at the bottom of the page explains alternate methods for
creating or purchasing dulce de leche should you choose to sprint
to the final desists, skipping the creation of dulce de leche
from scratch.

From: "Jacqui{jb}" <shining_one_wh@nospdate: Wed, 27 Feb 2002
13:06:49 +0000 ( MM by H Peagram

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/205/145
"JOAT" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make caramel or Dulce De Leche?
> And tips on how to store it in jars or cans?

zxcvbob

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
> thread.

You've heard too many apocryphal stories about exploding cans of beans in
the campfire and think it's an apt analogy (it's not).

> I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed milk in
> the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea.

Why is it a bad idea?

> One of the brands has even started printing warnings on the label.

Which brand is that?

Best regards,
Bob

Vox Humana

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
> thread. I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
> milk in the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea. One of the brands
> has even started printing warnings on the label.

People have gotten the idea from all the thousands of other people who do
this. I can assure you that it does make Dulce De Leche. There is a new
book out that lists a lot of ridiculous warnings that are printed on labels.
The danger in heating a can in simmering water is in letting the pan boil
dry. That is a danger if you are boiling peas or rice, not just a can of
sweetened condensed milk. There is some danger in cooking. You can get
burnt or cut. You can start a fire or get electrocuted. People who can't
supervise the pan shouldn't use this technique. If you want to induce panic
among the uninitiated, just tell someone that you intend to use a pressure
cooker!!! I suppose the idea of putting a can inside the pressure cooker is
way too much for most people to deal with.

Brian Mailman

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> ...I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
> milk in the can makes caramel,

Because it does. With proper precautions, it's spectularly easy.

B/

Brian Mailman

Vox Humana wrote:

(snip)

Please tell us how it works out.

B/
BOB

zxcvbob typed:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
>> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
>> thread.

> You've heard too many apocryphal stories about exploding cans of beans in
> the campfire and think it's an apt analogy (it's not).
>
>> I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed milk in
>> the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea.

> Why is it a bad idea?
>
>> One of the brands has even started printing warnings on the label.

> Which brand is that?

I don't remember, but I read it recently. I removed the label and threw it
away before anyone else read it. It didn't stop me from putting 3 cans in
the pot.

I think it's a CYA just in case someone lets the pan boil dry. Corporate
lawyers and all that.

BOB

> Best regards,
> Bob

Vox Humana

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> zxcvbob typed:
> > Julia Altshuler wrote:
> >> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
> >> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen

myths
> >> thread.

> > You've heard too many apocryphal stories about exploding cans of beans

in
> > the campfire and think it's an apt analogy (it's not).
> >
> >> I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed milk in
> >> the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea.

> > Why is it a bad idea?
> >
> >> One of the brands has even started printing warnings on the label.

> > Which brand is that?

> I don't remember, but I read it recently. I removed the label and threw

it
> away before anyone else read it. It didn't stop me from putting 3 cans in
> the pot.
>
> I think it's a CYA just in case someone lets the pan boil dry. Corporate
> lawyers and all that.
>
> BOB

Yes, just like the CYA label on superhero Halloween costumes that say
something like "wearing this garment doesn't enable you to fly."

BOB

zxcvbob typed:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
>> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
>> thread.

> You've heard too many apocryphal stories about exploding cans of beans in
> the campfire and think it's an apt analogy (it's not).
>
>> I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed milk in
>> the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea.

> Why is it a bad idea?
>
>> One of the brands has even started printing warnings on the label.

> Which brand is that?

I just checked...it's "Magnolia" by Borden. I'll bet Eagle has the warning
"Caution-Never heat unopened can." I'm still not going to stop something my
Great Aunt taught me when I was knee-high to a grasshopper just 'cause some
corporate lawyer can't watch it when he tries without letting the pan boil
dry.

BOB
Never knew it had such a fancy sounding name, though

BOB

Vox Humana typed:
> " BOB" wrote...
>> zxcvbob typed:
>>>
>>> You've heard too many apocryphal stories about exploding cans of beans in
>>> the campfire and think it's an apt analogy (it's not).

>>> Why is it a bad idea?

>>> Which brand is that?

>> I don't remember, but I read it recently. I removed the label and threw

it
>> away before anyone else read it. It didn't stop me from putting 3 cans in
>> the pot.
>>
>> I think it's a CYA just in case someone lets the pan boil dry. Corporate
>> lawyers and all that.
>>
>> BOB

> Yes, just like the CYA label on superhero Halloween costumes that say
> something like "wearing this garment doesn't enable you to fly."

You have *GOT* to be kidding me...no, in today's world, I'll believe it.

BOB

Julia Altshuler

Bob, there aren't many on this group I'd get up and walk into the
kitchen for, but you're one of them. Just for you, the brand is
Borden's Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. The side of the can says
(in smaller letters than I'd remembered but still in all caps) "CAUTION:
NEVER HEAT UNOPENED CAN."

I can see that the business about making caramel in the can is
controversial. I've read the whole thread and concede that something
bad won't necessarily happen every time an unopened can is heated. But
wouldn't common sense lead one to believe that doing so is a bad idea
because the expanding liquids inside would have nowhere to expand?

I can further see that this discussion can turn into the endless other
food safety discussions. One person posts a warning that leaving
something out of the refrigerator is unsafe, and others post about the
countless times they've done it with no ill effect. The bottom line is
that we all decide what chances we're willing to take. For me, it is
easy enough to empty the contents of a can into another container before
heating.

--Lia

zxcvbob wrote:

>> One of the brands has even started printing warnings on the label.

> Which brand is that?
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Julia Altshuler

I stand corrected and may try this. Will it work just as well if I
empty the can into a double boiler first?

--Lia

Brian Mailman wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>>...I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
>>milk in the can makes caramel,

> Because it does. With proper precautions, it's spectularly easy.
>
> B/

zxcvbob

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Bob, there aren't many on this group I'd get up and walk into the
> kitchen for, but you're one of them. Just for you, the brand is
> Borden's Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. The side of the can says
> (in smaller letters than I'd remembered but still in all caps)
> "CAUTION: NEVER HEAT UNOPENED CAN."

I just dug around in my pantry until I found the can of sweetened condensed
milk buried in the back. It's Wal-mart's store brand, Great Value or
something like that. Sure 'nuff it too says "CAUTION: NEVER HEAT UNOPENED
CAN." in little capital letters. The lawyers must be afraid that someone
will put the can *directly on the stove burner* and get hurt when the can
bursts. Perhaps the warning is on all cans now and I never noticed.

> I can see that the business about making caramel in the can is
> controversial. I've read the whole thread and concede that something
> bad won't necessarily happen every time an unopened can is heated. But
> wouldn't common sense lead one to believe that doing so is a bad idea
> because the expanding liquids inside would have nowhere to expand?

Yes, common sense would lead you to believe that, but common sense is often
wrong. You're not heating the liquid enough for it to expand much, and it
can bulge the ends of the can slightly as it does expand. The worst case
scenario (assuming you heat the can in a water bath or a pressure cooker)
is a seam will open up and leak.

> For me, it is easy enough to empty the contents of a can into another
> container before heating.

You also might try punching a little hole in the top of the can with a can
opener or ice pick and simmering it (not totally submerged) in a covered
pan of water. It will cut down on all the stirring you will have to do in
an open pan or double boiler.

Best regards,
Bob

Vox Humana

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> Please tell us how it works out.

I'm sure that Roy Basan can explain it far better than I could. He is a
wizard when it comes to food science.

Vox Humana

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> >> I think it's a CYA just in case someone lets the pan boil dry.

Corporate
> >> lawyers and all that.
> >>
> >> BOB

> > Yes, just like the CYA label on superhero Halloween costumes that say
> > something like "wearing this garment doesn't enable you to fly."

> You have *GOT* to be kidding me...no, in today's world, I'll believe it.

It's true and from a book called "101 Dumb Warning Labels."
http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/922010.asp
Here are a few more examples from the book:
- Steam iron packaging warns users not to "iron clothes on body"
- A glass cleaner admonishes not to "spray in eyes"
- A sunscreen that unfolds to cover the inside of a car windshield says not
to "drive with screen in place"
- A chainsaw user's manual commands: "Do not attempt to stop chain with
hands"

BOB

Vox Humana typed:
> " BOB" wrote...

>>> Yes, just like the CYA label on superhero Halloween costumes that say
>>> something like "wearing this garment doesn't enable you to fly."

>> You have *GOT* to be kidding me...no, in today's world, I'll believe it.

> It's true and from a book called "101 Dumb Warning Labels."
> http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/922010.asp
> Here are a few more examples from the book:
> - Steam iron packaging warns users not to "iron clothes on body"
> - A glass cleaner admonishes not to "spray in eyes"
> - A sunscreen that unfolds to cover the inside of a car windshield says not
> to "drive with screen in place"
> - A chainsaw user's manual commands: "Do not attempt to stop chain with
> hands"

That's why the world is getting overpopulated...no natural selection to weed
out the, umm,
those that aren't really meant to continue the intellegence gene pool.

BOB

jacqui{JB}

"Bill" > wrote in message

> > I have to say that boiling unopened cans is way
> > past my personal risk threshold. No criticism
> > of those who do it; just a different point of view.

> This was a hot topic of discussion amongst a group
> of avid cooks that included several engineers. The
> consensus was that as long as it was allowed to cook
> completely before opening the pressure cooker method
> was completely safe and that if care is taken the water
> bath method is safe.
>
> The water bath method was deemed safe as long as the
> cans were kept completely covered with water and the
> cooking held to a simmer. The condensed milk inside the
> cans has a higher boiling point than the water around them
> and as such will never reach boiling point. As such the worst
> that could happen is that a rare can might burst but would
> never explode. I have done this several times and not seen
> a hint of a problem. If you forget about it and the water boils
> away that is a whole 'nother story.

Thanks for the info -- gotta love engineers (my Dad is a retired
engineer, my sister dated engineers all through college, I dated
engineers, I was even married to one -- for a while, anyway ).
While I will probably pass on making dulce de leche by boiling the can
(personal risk thresholds are just that: personal), it's nice to know
that it's not as risky as it feels to me.

-j

William Graham

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "William Graham" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > news

> > > sweetened

3/4
> > the
> > > way

Do

door.

the

> > > Why does covering the can make it safer?
> > >

> > I don't think covering the can is necessary....But you don't want to run

> out
> > of water, so put the can in a large pot with lots of water, and watch it

> so
> > you don't forget it....If you run out of water it will explode....As

long
> as
> > there's plenty of water, the contents of the can won't boil because they

> are
> > under slightly higher pressure, and the water in your pot won't go over
> > boiling at normal atmospheric pressure, so it's safe.....

> The reason then is to have more water as insurance against boiling the pan
> dry. That makes sense, but is a different matter than "the can will

explode
> if it isn't fully submerged."

Yes....I don't know if the can sinks, or floats, so I don't know whether it
must be covered or not.....If it floats, then of course you don't have to
hold it down so that it will be covered....But in either case, just have
lots of water......

Feuer

Vox Humana wrote:

> I'm sure that Roy Basan can explain it far better than I could. He is a
> wizard when it comes to food science.

s/food/industrial baking of yeasted breads.

David

HEB Dulce De Leche Ice Cream le k00k General Cooking 0 21-08-2013 04:56 PM
Dulce de Leche Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-08-2005 01:52 PM
Dulce De Leche recipe and storage JOAT General Cooking 68 27-10-2003 11:32 AM
Dulce De Leche recipe and storage JOAT Preserving 55 27-10-2003 11:32 AM