Gary Hayman

Default Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits / Garibaldi Biscuit

Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits / Garibaldi Biscuit

FOR USA AUDIENCE

A bunch of years ago I was looking for one of my favorite cookies on the
grocery shelves -- Sunshine Raisin Biscuits (Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin
Biscuits) and couldn't find any; even during my travels to many states.
Needless to say I was disappointed.

The Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits was a flat, thin, dry segmented
sheet of raisin filled cookie/biscuit dough. It is unlike any average
cookie. And was great.

Searching the WEB later found that the Keebler Co. and the Sunshine Biscuit
Co had merged in around 1998 and later, Keebler discontinued the "Golden
Fruit" product line.
See: http://www.keebler.com/about/faq_prod.jsp?menuOpen=3

That's why my cookie vanished.

Some would say, "that's the way the cookie crumbles" but some enterprising
people on the Internet found a British item that was quite similar. It is
Crawford's Garibaldi Biscuit. Now it's not 100% the same --but it is pretty
close. The cookie is distributed by the United Biscuits in Middlesex, United
Kingdom. Actually, it is made in Holland for United Biscuits.

SEE PHOTOS:
http://tinyurl.com/3ch9o
http://tinyurl.com/2jwpj

In a News Group someone mentioned that The Vermont Country
Store [See: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com] carried it as a product
[See: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/p...GroupID=25456].

It was expensive, but I had to try it out -- and it was great.

Since then I have found a much cheaper source:

British Delights [http://www.britishdelights.com]
[See page: http://www.britishdelights.com/misc_biscuits.htm]

While a bulk purchase of 30 packages at The Vermont Country Store would cost
me:
(6 packages of 5) @ $12.95 = $77.70 + $11.95 (s/h) = $89.65 or a cost of
$2.99 each

British Delights offers them at:
(30 packages of 1) @ $1.56 = $46.80 less 5% for box lot = $44.46 + $10 (s/h)
= $54.46 or a cost of $1.82 each

Now that's quite a saving.

If you are interested in renewing your taste or are just curious -- try them
out.

Of course, I you visit the UK I believe you can pick up a package of
Crawford's Garibaldi for just under $1.

I would love to have Keebler re-introduce their Golden Fruit Raisin
Biscuit -- but that would probably take a massive write-in campaign.

Gary Hayman
Maryland

Susan S

In rec.food.baking I read this message from "Gary Hayman"
>:

>Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits / Garibaldi Biscuit
>
>FOR USA AUDIENCE
>
>A bunch of years ago I was looking for one of my favorite cookies on the
>grocery shelves -- Sunshine Raisin Biscuits (Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin
>Biscuits) and couldn't find any; even during my travels to many states.
>Needless to say I was disappointed.
>
>The Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuits was a flat, thin, dry segmented
>sheet of raisin filled cookie/biscuit dough. It is unlike any average
>cookie. And was great.
>
>Searching the WEB later found that the Keebler Co. and the Sunshine Biscuit
>Co had merged in around 1998 and later, Keebler discontinued the "Golden
>Fruit" product line.
>See: http://www.keebler.com/about/faq_prod.jsp?menuOpen=3
>
>That's why my cookie vanished.
>
>Some would say, "that's the way the cookie crumbles" but some enterprising
>people on the Internet found a British item that was quite similar. It is
>Crawford's Garibaldi Biscuit. Now it's not 100% the same --but it is pretty
>close. The cookie is distributed by the United Biscuits in Middlesex, United
>Kingdom. Actually, it is made in Holland for United Biscuits.
>
>SEE PHOTOS:
>http://tinyurl.com/3ch9o
>http://tinyurl.com/2jwpj
>
>In a News Group someone mentioned that The Vermont Country
>Store [See: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com] carried it as a product
>[See: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/p...GroupID=25456].
>
>It was expensive, but I had to try it out -- and it was great.
>
>Since then I have found a much cheaper source:
>
>British Delights [http://www.britishdelights.com]
>[See page: http://www.britishdelights.com/misc_biscuits.htm]
>
>While a bulk purchase of 30 packages at The Vermont Country Store would cost
>me:
>(6 packages of 5) @ $12.95 = $77.70 + $11.95 (s/h) = $89.65 or a cost of
>$2.99 each
>
>British Delights offers them at:
>(30 packages of 1) @ $1.56 = $46.80 less 5% for box lot = $44.46 + $10 (s/h)
>= $54.46 or a cost of $1.82 each
>
>Now that's quite a saving.
>
>If you are interested in renewing your taste or are just curious -- try them
>out.
>
>Of course, I you visit the UK I believe you can pick up a package of
>Crawford's Garibaldi for just under $1.
>
>I would love to have Keebler re-introduce their Golden Fruit Raisin
>Biscuit -- but that would probably take a massive write-in campaign.
>
>Gary Hayman
>Maryland

There is a similar cookie from Australia that is sold at Trader
Joe's.

Susan Silberstein

The wonderful Garibaldi Square in Naples, Italy Lotham City Travels General Cooking 1 15-05-2011 11:41 AM
Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits Chad Fikse Recipes (moderated) 0 09-02-2008 04:19 PM
Golden Fruit Salad Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-08-2005 02:24 PM
Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuit / Garibaldi Biscuit Gary Hayman General Cooking 0 03-04-2004 12:21 PM
Sunshine Golden Fruit Raisin Biscuit - Garibaldi Biscuit Gary Hayman General Cooking 2 02-04-2004 06:04 AM