Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Negerkuss, Mohrenkopf recipe???

On Saturday, May 29, 1999 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Lisa wrote:
> Does somebody have the recipe for the German Negerkuss, also called
> Mohrenkopf?

Mohrenkoepfe are very different than what we actually call "Marshmallow" in English, which is what the recipe with gelatin is called. The German Mohrenkopf is made with Meringue (Egg Whites) and I too would love the recipe, but I think we need to keep looking online. Do NOT use the gelatin recipe (even if it is the powdered type) because it has a much chewier consistency than the Meringues (unbaked) -- do not bake them. I'm pretty sure they are mostly egg whites and lots of sugar and possibly some cream of tartar to stiffen the meringue when beaten. They must be piped or spooned onto a thin, light wafer (or . . . . into ice cream cones) and dipped into the right type of chocolate that is not thick when set. Hope this was helpful.
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:25:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Saturday, May 29, 1999 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Lisa wrote:
>
> > Does somebody have the recipe for the German Negerkuss, also called

> > Mohrenkopf?

> Mohrenkoepfe are very different than what we actually call "Marshmallow" in English, which is what the recipe with gelatin is called. The German Mohrenkopf is made with Meringue (Egg Whites) and I too would love the recipe, but I think we need to keep looking online. Do NOT use the gelatin recipe (even if it is the powdered type) because it has a much chewier consistency than the Meringues (unbaked) -- do not bake them. I'm pretty sure they are mostly egg whites and lots of sugar and possibly some cream of tartar to stiffen the meringue when beaten. They must be piped or spooned onto a thin, light wafer (or . . . . into ice cream cones) and dipped into the right type of chocolate that is not thick when set. Hope this was helpful.

PS: I am German and I live in Canada so I know the difference of what these above recipe ingredients actually will make. I have made homemade marshmallows and they are not what you are asking about. Trust me.