Nexis

Default Thin apple pie recipe?

"A. Brown" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a recipe for a very thin apple "pie" that my
> fiancee remembers his mother making years ago. He said she
> made it in a large pan (perhaps a jellyroll pan?), and it
> had only a very thin bottom crust - the whole thing was only
> about an inch thick.
>
> Does anybody have a recipe for something like this?
>
> A. Brown
> remove the "junk" to email

Sounds similar to either a Tarte Tatin or a Rustic Apple Tart. Here's
recipes:
TARTE TATIN

1 recipe Flaky pie crust
8 large apples, Golden Delicious or other baking apples
juice of 1 lemon
8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Roll out the pastry dough to roughly a 9-inch circle or square. Use a fork
to prick the surface all over to avoid blistering or doming. Bake it on a
baking sheet until it light brown and cooked through.
Peel and core the apples and cut them into thin slices. Sprinkle lemon juice
over them to prevent from turning brown.
Raise oven temperature to 400 degrees.
Put a large skillet or frying pan over high heat. Add the butter and sugar
and stir until the mixture turns into a golden caramel color. Add the heavy
cream and stir over high heat for 2 more minutes. Add the apples and coat
each slice with caramel mixture. Cover the pan with aluminum foil or a
well-fitting lid, and put in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove the pan from oven, and arrange apple slices on the pastry in a
tightly assembled pattern of rings within rings.
Heat the caramel that remains in the pan until it thickens. Pour the caramel
over the apples. Serve hot.
==============================

Easy Rustic Apple Tart w/ Cream Cheese Crust
The cream cheese dough is not rolled but simply pressed into a rough round.
The apples don't have to be precooked. And the combination of tart apples,
cinnamon, sugar, and rich, tangy dough is simply irresistible.

Filling

2 large tart apples, such as Granny Smiths
2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 recipe Cream Cheese Tart Dough, shaped into one 10-inch crust and chilled
for at least 1 hour

1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten

Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional)

Cream Cheese Tart Dough

1/2 cup (4 ounces) chilled cream cheese, cut into 6 pieces
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for shaping
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoons salt

1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. Make the filling: Peel the apples and cut them in half. Remove the cores
with a paring knife. Cutting from blossom end to stem end, slice each half
into 1/4-inch slices.

3. Combine the apple slices with the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and
the cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Let the apples stand
until the sugar is dissolved, about 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.

4. Make the dough: Place the cream cheese, butter, 1 cup flour, salt and
sugar in a food processor. Process until dough just comes together. It will
be sticky. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle the paper with
flour. Turn the dough onto the sheet and with floured hands, press the dough
into a rough 10-inch circle. Roll about 1/2 inch of the wedge of the circle
inward to create a lip to catch the juices. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or
wrap baking sheet with plastic and refrigerate up to 24 hours in advance.

5. Remove baking sheet with shaped dough from refrigerator. Arrange apple
slices in concentric circles, overlapping the apple slices slightly. Brush
the rim of the crust with the egg yolk. Sprinkle the apples with the
remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until golden, 30-35 minutes.

6. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream on the
side. Easiest Apple Tart is best served on the day it is made.

Enjoy!
kimberly

A. Brown

"Nexis" > wrote in news:5Xs_b.709$506.648@fed1read05:

> Sounds similar to either a Tarte Tatin or a Rustic Apple Tart. Here's
> recipes:

Wow... those sound delicious!!

Thanks, I think I'll give them both a try.

Nexis

"A. Brown" > wrote in message
> "Nexis" > wrote in news:5Xs_b.709$506.648@fed1read05:
>

> > Sounds similar to either a Tarte Tatin or a Rustic Apple Tart. Here's
> > recipes:

> Wow... those sound delicious!!
>
> Thanks, I think I'll give them both a try.

You're welcome! Both are delicious. With the rustic tart, I sometimes add a
few blackberries. They add a nice touch color wise, and a lovely contrasting
flavor.

kimberly