Member

Question Baking soda instead of baking powder

Can I use baking soda instead of baking powder when baking sugar cookies?
It is my first time baking sugar cookies from scratch, and the recipes I found online says use baking powder. The thing is I only have baking soda. As I am typing this question, I see that another person has asked if they could use baking powder instead of baking soda, my real question is, Can I use baking soda for my sugar cookies and does it work both ways of using the baking supplement.
Banned

HI,
Yes you can. Baking powder includes also baking soda, as one if it's ingredients. Just make sure to put about 20% more of the baking soda.
Cheers,
Oron.
_____________________________
Love those Restaurants dishes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by helboi View Post
Can I use baking soda instead of baking powder when baking sugar cookies?
It is my first time baking sugar cookies from scratch, and the recipes I found online says use baking powder. The thing is I only have baking soda. As I am typing this question, I see that another person has asked if they could use baking powder instead of baking soda, my real question is, Can I use baking soda for my sugar cookies and does it work both ways of using the baking supplement.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Baking soda instead of baking powder

helboi > wrote:

> Can I use baking soda instead of baking powder when baking suga
> cookies?

The difference between baking soda and baking powder is that baking
soda produces CO2 when it reacts with an acid while baking powder
produces CO2 when it is heated. (Baking powder is typically baking
soda plus a salt that turns into an acid when heated.)

If your dough or batter is acidic (sour) -- i.e. made with sour-dough,
yogurt, buttermilk, sour-cream, cream of tartar or similar -- you can'
use baking soda instead of baking powder. If your dough is not acidic,
you have to use baking powder or add a bit of acid (vinegar, lemon
juice) to the dough as well.

For pancakes and flat cookies made from acidic doughs and batters you
can also use salt of hartshorn (baking ammonia) or a 50/50 mix of
baking soda and salt of hartshorn.

--
Leif Roar Moldskred