jenmari26

Default Mexican chocolate brownies problem

I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
site):

1/2 pound cone piloncillo
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 ounces Mexican chocolate
1/2 pound butter
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 teaspoon espresso
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 pound walnuts

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
well set.

Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Roy Basan

(jenmari26) wrote in message . com>...
> I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
> brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
> a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
> to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
> is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
> site):
>
> 1/2 pound cone piloncillo
> 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
> 1/2 pound butter
> 5 eggs
> 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon almond extract
> 3 teaspoon espresso
> 1 1/2 cup flour
> 1/2 pound walnuts
>

> Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
> piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
> another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
> well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
> then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
> 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
> well set.
>
> Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!

This is a queer recipe; too high in sugar and fat and baked at an oven
temperature suitable for bread loaves.
Have you copied the recipe correctly?
I cannot find such brownie in the foodnetwork file either. Can you
refer me to the exact URL so that I can check if its really right?.
Roy
Roy Basan

(jenmari26) wrote in message . com>...
> I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
> brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
> a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
> to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
> is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
> site):
>
> 1/2 pound cone piloncillo
> 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
> 1/2 pound butter
> 5 eggs
> 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon almond extract
> 3 teaspoon espresso
> 1 1/2 cup flour
> 1/2 pound walnuts
>

> Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
> piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
> another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
> well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
> then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
> 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
> well set.
>
> Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!

This is a queer recipe; too high in sugar and fat and baked at an oven
temperature suitable for bread loaves.
Have you copied the recipe correctly?
I cannot find such brownie in the foodnetwork file either. Can you
refer me to the exact URL so that I can check if its really right?.
Roy
Roy Basan

(jenmari26) wrote in message . com>...
> I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
> brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
> a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
> to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
> is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
> site):
>
> 1/2 pound cone piloncillo
> 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
> 1/2 pound butter
> 5 eggs
> 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon almond extract
> 3 teaspoon espresso
> 1 1/2 cup flour
> 1/2 pound walnuts
>

> Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
> piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
> another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
> well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
> then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
> 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
> well set.
>
> Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!

This is a queer recipe; too high in sugar and fat and baked at an oven
temperature suitable for bread loaves.
Have you copied the recipe correctly?
I cannot find such brownie in the foodnetwork file either. Can you
refer me to the exact URL so that I can check if its really right?.
Roy
Hairy

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> (jenmari26) wrote in message

. com>...
> > I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
> > brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
> > a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
> > to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
> > is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
> > site):
> >
> > 1/2 pound cone piloncillo
> > 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> > 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
> > 1/2 pound butter
> > 5 eggs
> > 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
> > 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> > 1 teaspoon almond extract
> > 3 teaspoon espresso
> > 1 1/2 cup flour
> > 1/2 pound walnuts
> >

> > Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
> > piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
> > another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
> > well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
> > then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
> > 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
> > well set.
> >
> > Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks!

> This is a queer recipe; too high in sugar and fat and baked at an oven
> temperature suitable for bread loaves.
> Have you copied the recipe correctly?
> I cannot find such brownie in the foodnetwork file either. Can you
> refer me to the exact URL so that I can check if its really right?.
> Roy

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._14960,00.html

Hairy

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> (jenmari26) wrote in message

. com>...
> > I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
> > brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
> > a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
> > to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
> > is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
> > site):
> >
> > 1/2 pound cone piloncillo
> > 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> > 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
> > 1/2 pound butter
> > 5 eggs
> > 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
> > 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> > 1 teaspoon almond extract
> > 3 teaspoon espresso
> > 1 1/2 cup flour
> > 1/2 pound walnuts
> >

> > Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
> > piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
> > another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
> > well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
> > then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
> > 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
> > well set.
> >
> > Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks!

> This is a queer recipe; too high in sugar and fat and baked at an oven
> temperature suitable for bread loaves.
> Have you copied the recipe correctly?
> I cannot find such brownie in the foodnetwork file either. Can you
> refer me to the exact URL so that I can check if its really right?.
> Roy

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._14960,00.html

Hairy

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> (jenmari26) wrote in message

. com>...
> > I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
> > brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
> > a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
> > to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
> > is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
> > site):
> >
> > 1/2 pound cone piloncillo
> > 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> > 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
> > 1/2 pound butter
> > 5 eggs
> > 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
> > 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> > 1 teaspoon almond extract
> > 3 teaspoon espresso
> > 1 1/2 cup flour
> > 1/2 pound walnuts
> >

> > Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
> > piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
> > another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
> > well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
> > then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
> > 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
> > well set.
> >
> > Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks!

> This is a queer recipe; too high in sugar and fat and baked at an oven
> temperature suitable for bread loaves.
> Have you copied the recipe correctly?
> I cannot find such brownie in the foodnetwork file either. Can you
> refer me to the exact URL so that I can check if its really right?.
> Roy

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._14960,00.html

The Cook

"Hairy" > wrote:

>"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
. com...
>> (jenmari26) wrote in message

.com>...
>> > I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
>> > brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
>> > a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
>> > to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
>> > is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
>> > site):
>> >
>> > 1/2 pound cone piloncillo
>> > 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
>> > 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
>> > 1/2 pound butter
>> > 5 eggs
>> > 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
>> > 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>> > 1 teaspoon almond extract
>> > 3 teaspoon espresso
>> > 1 1/2 cup flour
>> > 1/2 pound walnuts
>> >

>> > Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
>> > piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
>> > another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
>> > well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
>> > then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
>> > 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
>> > well set.
>> >
>> > Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
>> > Thanks!

>> This is a queer recipe; too high in sugar and fat and baked at an oven
>> temperature suitable for bread loaves.
>> Have you copied the recipe correctly?
>> I cannot find such brownie in the foodnetwork file either. Can you
>> refer me to the exact URL so that I can check if its really right?.
>> Roy

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._14960,00.html

Read the user review on this recipe. The reviewer had the same
problem.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
The Cook

"Hairy" > wrote:

>"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
. com...
>> (jenmari26) wrote in message

.com>...
> [...]

: 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
: 1/2 pound butter
: 5 eggs
: 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
: 1 teaspoon almond extract
: 3 teaspoon espresso
: 1 1/2 cup flour
: 1/2 pound walnuts

: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
: piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
: another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
: well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
: then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
: 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
: well set.

: Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.

5 eggs? The recipe is closer to mousse than to a brownie. Try cutting
the eggs down to 2 and increasing the flour to 2 cups. Might even add
a bit of baking powder if you want more of a cake-like brownie.

Roy Basan

The Cook > wrote in message >. ..

> Read the user review on this recipe. The reviewer had the same
> problem.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._14960,00.html
No wonder…..
Yes, I did see this chap Aaron Sanchez, whoa! He is just a kid!
Be reminded…..
A lot of Chefs are notorious for their ego than for their cooking
prowess, so any bakery related recipes from such individuals I view
with trepidation.
Many Chef do not usually measure things when they do their cookery
stuff so as to make things look impressive.But if they are to write
down their recipe for others to follow they are at a loss with regard
to the accuracy of the recipe details,precision of measurement and
much more with regards to the reproducibility of the results of the
recipes they provided.

Roy
Roy Basan

The Cook > wrote in message >. ..

> Read the user review on this recipe. The reviewer had the same
> problem.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._14960,00.html
No wonder…..
Yes, I did see this chap Aaron Sanchez, whoa! He is just a kid!
Be reminded…..
A lot of Chefs are notorious for their ego than for their cooking
prowess, so any bakery related recipes from such individuals I view
with trepidation.
Many Chef do not usually measure things when they do their cookery
stuff so as to make things look impressive.But if they are to write
down their recipe for others to follow they are at a loss with regard
to the accuracy of the recipe details,precision of measurement and
much more with regards to the reproducibility of the results of the
recipes they provided.

Roy
jenmari26

Thank you all, for your advice. I'm going to fiddle with the recipe,
reducing the eggs/fat and increasing the flour somewhat, and see what
happens. I'll post an update if I discover a successful version. If it
ever is worked out, it should be a very tasty brownie!

Jennifer

wrote in message >...
> : I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
> : brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
> : a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
> : to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
> : is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
> : site):
>
> : 1/2 pound cone piloncillo
> : 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> : 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
> : 1/2 pound butter
> : 5 eggs
> : 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
> : 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> : 1 teaspoon almond extract
> : 3 teaspoon espresso
> : 1 1/2 cup flour
> : 1/2 pound walnuts
>

> : Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
> : piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
> : another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
> : well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
> : then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
> : 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
> : well set.
>
> : Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
> : Thanks!
>
> 5 eggs? The recipe is closer to mousse than to a brownie. Try cutting
> the eggs down to 2 and increasing the flour to 2 cups. Might even add
> a bit of baking powder if you want more of a cake-like brownie.

Roy Basan

wrote in message >...
> > : I've tried to make this recipe three times now, and both times the
> > : brownie will not set, no matter how long I try baking them. It remains
> > : a gooey mess. Each time I made it was with a different oven. I'd like
> > : to try fiddling with the recipe to see if I can get it to work. Here
> > : is the recipe (from Aaron Sanchez, off of the Food Network's web
> > : site):

> > : 1/2 pound cone piloncillo
> > : 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> > : 6 ounces Mexican chocolate
> > : 1/2 pound butter
> > : 5 eggs
> > : 2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
> > : 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> > : 1 teaspoon almond extract
> > : 3 teaspoon espresso
> > : 1 1/2 cup flour
> > : 1/2 pound walnuts
> >

> > : Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl over double boiler, melt
> > : piloncillo, both chocolates, and butter. Allow mixture to cool. In
> > : another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, both extracts, and espresso until
> > : well mixed. Then pour cooled chocolate mixture in the eggs. Mix well
> > : then add the flour and walnuts. Add this mixture to a greased 9 by
> > : 13-inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until brownies are
> > : well set.

> > : Any advice on how to improve the recipe would be greatly appreciated.
> > : Thanks!

A brownie that contains a blend of dark brown sugar( piloncillo),
chocolate, and espresso can taste good. And this flavor combination
was maximized but the combination with the floral note of vanilla with
the nutty and aromatic smell of the almond extract.
1/2 pound cone piloncillo
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 ounces Mexican chocolate
1/2 pound butter
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 teaspoon espresso
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 pound walnuts
Think about the complex chemistry involved between the molasses of the
piloncillo, the cocoa solids in the chocolate, and the coffee
flavor essence combined; this would be a bunch of heterocyclic
compounds of the pyrazines,,pyrolles, triazines, and complex membered
rings that contains heteroatoms of nitrogen, phosphorus and sulfur,;
then coupled with the interactions between the various sugar
molecules with the proteinacious emitted materials( amino acids from
milk solids in butter and eggs,) plus the gamma , delta and
octa-lactone from walnut aroma,would result in a really nice flavor
even in our mind's eye.One of the distinctive flavor aroma molecule
the maltol which is present in coffee and nut flavors will improve the
appreciation of flavors as well.
This will be enhanced by the interaction of the butter fat that
contributes flavorsome volatiles such as the butyric acid and its
esters, the diacetyl and other aldehydes .which will tend to merge
with the ethyl vanillin( in vanilla bean) and the benzadehdye of the
almond extract.
You can use any balanced brownie recipe and apply that flavor
combination and I am certain you will be pleased with the results.
No need to follow that kids recipe( which is only good in his hands
but not reproducible in other) I am certain that the successful recipe
that comes out from his demo was not exactly the one shown in the
foodnetwork file.
The discrepancy that results was again the chef's fault and his
youthful exuberance in pleasing his crowd.
If you still want to tweak Sanchez recipe, reduce the sugar first (
about half) the com petition between the high sugar and limited
starch( in the less amount of flour) in the aqueous syrupy solution
delaying the gelatinization point of the starch. Meanwhile the amount
of fat used( cocoa butter in chocolate and the butter fat)will thin
the solution further preventing the change of viscosity( thickening to
happen).. You can add more flour( ¼-1/2 cup) to improve the
viscosity.If the batter is still wet you can gradually reduce the eggs
by up to two and so on. Or you can replace part of the whole eggs with
egg whites for better structural stability which will interact with
the flour gluten as well to improve batter stability.
There are other means to tweak that recipe but doing step by step
would be easier for you at this time.
I wish you luck in your trials!
Roy