Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

Default Crushed Chocolate Mousse Cake

Just tried this one yesterday. Really wonderful!

This is 1/2 the recipe since I only have one loaf pan.

Crushed Chocolate Mousse Cake (from Chanoch Farber's "Sweet Book")

Ingredients:
200 gram dark chocolate
150 gram butter or margarine
5 eggs - separated
100 gram powdered sugar (sifted)
30 gram unsweetened cocoa (sifted)

Preparation:

Melt the chocolate and the butter/margarine together and cool slightly

Add the egg yolks, one at a time to the chocolate

Add the powdered sugar and cocoa and mix well

Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry then fold into the above
in three stages

Place in a buttered and floured loaf pan (or loaf pan lined with
baking paper) and bake for 30 minutes at 180oC, or until well set.
Remove from the oven and place a weight (something heavy that is just
a bit smaller than the loaf pan) on top of the cake (I put baking
paper on the top first) and let it push down on the top for 30
minutes. Remove the weight and turn cake out of the pan.

The book says you can also put this cake in a round (20cm) cake pan
with a base of crumble pastry.

Basically, you make a type of mousse, bake it and then get a very
heavy, dense and dark cake that should be eaten in small, thin slices.
The book also says that the taste gets better after a couple of days
(as IF this will last in my home for a couple of days!!!). By the
way, since you use powdered sugar, its not as sweet as it would be if
you used granulated sugar.

(Wicked!)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)