Dee Randall

Default Cool Whip

I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."

What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?

Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe calls for
it?

thanks so much.

Dee

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
>
> What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
>
> Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe
> calls for it?
>
> thanks so much.
>
> Dee

Dee, Cool Whip is a non-dairy whipped topping that is sold frozen in a
plastic tub. Of all the non-dairy toppings I've tasted, it's probably one
of the tastiest, although no equal to real whipped cream.

For many years Cool Whip came in only one variety. Now there is Lite Cool
Whip (fewer calories), Extra Creamy Cool Whip, and even Chocolate Cool
Whip. There may be more varieties than I know of.

HTH
Wayne
jacqui{JB}

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
>
> What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
>
> Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients
> if your recipe calls for it?

Cool Whip is a frozen non-dairy whipped topping. It's the stuff I
grew up with and I have a nostalgic fondness for it, although I
haven't tasted it in years and I've moved on to real whipped cream.
It's not bad as far as substitutes go, but it's full of chemicals
which you really don't need to ingest. Regular, sweetened, flavored
and/or stabilized whipped cream can often be substituted in recipes
calling for CoolWhip, although you might want to skip or modify such
recipes since they'll often contain plenty of other highly processed
foods.

As for making Cool Whip yourself, I seem to recall a powdered product
called "Dream Whip" that you ... er ... whipped up yourself at home
which was very similar. Don't know if it's still available ... hmm,
it is, at least according to Kraft's website. But other than another
chemically-laden substitute, I wouldn't expect you'd be able to
produce something just like Cool Whip at home.

Anyway, I'd skip both of them and critically evaluate any recipe
containing CoolWhip to determine whether "real" foods could be
substituted with similar results.

Hm ... my bias against highly processed foods is showing.
-j

Dee Randall

<snip>Anyway, I'd skip both of them and critically evaluate any recipe
containing CoolWhip to determine whether "real" foods could be
substituted with similar results.

Hm ... my bias against highly processed foods is showing.
-j<snip>

I think I've never cooked with CoolWhip for the reasons you have given, as
they always seem to have an ingredient I don't have, or something about the
recipe is not to my liking.

I have the same bias. Thanks for answering. I'm glad to know that I'm not
missing anything.

Dee

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >
> > I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
> >
> > What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
> >
> > Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients
> > if your recipe calls for it?

> Cool Whip is a frozen non-dairy whipped topping. It's the stuff I
> grew up with and I have a nostalgic fondness for it, although I
> haven't tasted it in years and I've moved on to real whipped cream.
> It's not bad as far as substitutes go, but it's full of chemicals
> which you really don't need to ingest. Regular, sweetened, flavored
> and/or stabilized whipped cream can often be substituted in recipes
> calling for CoolWhip, although you might want to skip or modify such
> recipes since they'll often contain plenty of other highly processed
> foods.
>
> As for making Cool Whip yourself, I seem to recall a powdered product
> called "Dream Whip" that you ... er ... whipped up yourself at home
> which was very similar. Don't know if it's still available ... hmm,
> it is, at least according to Kraft's website. But other than another
> chemically-laden substitute, I wouldn't expect you'd be able to
> produce something just like Cool Whip at home.
>
> Anyway, I'd skip both of them and critically evaluate any recipe
> containing CoolWhip to determine whether "real" foods could be
> substituted with similar results.
>
> Hm ... my bias against highly processed foods is showing.
> -j

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> <snip>Anyway, I'd skip both of them and critically evaluate any recipe
> containing CoolWhip to determine whether "real" foods could be
> substituted with similar results.
>
> Hm ... my bias against highly processed foods is showing.
> -j<snip>
>
> I think I've never cooked with CoolWhip for the reasons you have given, as
> they always seem to have an ingredient I don't have, or something about

the
> recipe is not to my liking.
>
> I have the same bias. Thanks for answering. I'm glad to know that I'm

not
> missing anything.
>
> Dee

You can always substitute real whipped cream for Cool Whip.

There is a new French Vanilla and it ISSS goooood.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>

>>I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
>>
>>What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
>>
>>Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe
>>calls for it?
>>
>>thanks so much.
>>
>>Dee

> Dee, Cool Whip is a non-dairy whipped topping that is sold frozen in a
> plastic tub. Of all the non-dairy toppings I've tasted, it's probably one
> of the tastiest, although no equal to real whipped cream.
>
> For many years Cool Whip came in only one variety. Now there is Lite Cool
> Whip (fewer calories), Extra Creamy Cool Whip, and even Chocolate Cool
> Whip. There may be more varieties than I know of.
>
> HTH
> Wayne

Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can be
added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream. My kids used to
take popcicles and dip them in Cool Whip for treats the same with cookies.
You can add it to any recipe that calls for whipped cream (that has no
taste and lots of fat and cholesterol) it doesn't melt or fade away and
can be added to a 1 pound box of powdered sugar for a great frosting.
Matt

Dee Randall wrote:

> I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
>
> What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
>
> Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe calls for
> it?
>
> thanks so much.
>
> Dee

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can be
> added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream. My kids used to
> take popcicles and dip them in Cool Whip for treats the same with cookies.
> You can add it to any recipe that calls for whipped cream (that has no
> taste and lots of fat and cholesterol) it doesn't melt or fade away and
> can be added to a 1 pound box of powdered sugar for a great frosting.
> Matt

Cool Whip is a first cousin to non-dairy coffee creamers. This class of
products contains hydrogenated tropical oils and saturated fat. If you like
them, that is a personal thing. I see little to recommend them. I don't
think they taste very good - certainly not like real whipped cream. Cool
Whip has a strange chemical taste, probably from the artificial vanilla
flavor that it contains. I don't have whipped cream very often, maybe twice
a year. I would rather have the real thing. You can stabilize whipped
cream if you want to use it in pastries.

What a surprise as Cool Whip is the largest selling topping of any
including whipped cream.
Whipped cream is not acceptable to most people.
Matt

Vox Humana wrote:

> > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>
>>Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can be
>>added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream. My kids used to
>>take popcicles and dip them in Cool Whip for treats the same with cookies.
>>You can add it to any recipe that calls for whipped cream (that has no
>>taste and lots of fat and cholesterol) it doesn't melt or fade away and
>>can be added to a 1 pound box of powdered sugar for a great frosting.
>>Matt

> Cool Whip is a first cousin to non-dairy coffee creamers. This class of
> products contains hydrogenated tropical oils and saturated fat. If you like
> them, that is a personal thing. I see little to recommend them. I don't
> think they taste very good - certainly not like real whipped cream. Cool
> Whip has a strange chemical taste, probably from the artificial vanilla
> flavor that it contains. I don't have whipped cream very often, maybe twice
> a year. I would rather have the real thing. You can stabilize whipped
> cream if you want to use it in pastries.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

> I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
>
> What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
>
> Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe
> calls for it?

> thanks so much.
>
> Dee

Think imitation sweetened whipped cream.
I just made this pie using 1 pint whipping cream, whipped and sweetened:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

10-Minute German Sweet Chocolate Pie

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
4 oz. German¹s Sweet Chocolate
1/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 oz. cream cheese softened
3 1/2 cups Cool Whip
8 ² crumb crust (Johnson¹s prepared crust)

Heat chocolate and 2 Tbsp. of the milk in a saucepan over low heat,
stirring until chocolate is melted. Beat sugar into cream cheese; add
remaining milk and chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in
Cool Whip; spoon into crust. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Garnish
with chocolate curls, if desired. Store leftovers (hah!!) in freezer.

Makes 6-8 servings. Chris and Becky love it. Chocolate crust is good.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Cool Whip container, November, 1980.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 444 Calories; 32g Fat (64%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 104mg Cholesterol;
291mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fruit; 6 Fat; 1 1/2
Other Carbohydrates

_____
--
-Barb
12-28-03: Tourtiere picture added to my site: <www.jamlady.eboard.com>

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
hlink.net...
> What a surprise as Cool Whip is the largest selling topping of any
> including whipped cream.
> Whipped cream is not acceptable to most people.
> Matt

Because of your top posting it is really hard to determine your position. I
will assume that your are quite enthusiastic about Cool Whip. Of course,
that's your right as it is mine to prefer real whipped cream. I would point
out that there are lots of products that sell like mad, but that doesn't
make them superior. For instance, Velveeta is quite popular because it is
cheap, melts well, and doesn't require refrigeration until it is opened. My
supermarket regularly puts entire skids of the stuff down the main isle at
room temperature when it is on special. Does that make Velveeta superior or
more acceptable than cheddar cheese. I think not. I also believe that
"most people" don't have a clue about nutrition, and the relationship
between saturated fat and cholesterol. How many people do you suppose
prefer non-dairy creamer over real cream because they think it is a healthy
choice? How many just like being able to have a jar of the stuff on the
table and not have to worry about refrigeration and expiration dates? Many
people think that margarine is more acceptable than butter, but that isn't
the case from a medical point of view. I suppose that you really like Tang
over real orange juice? After all, millions of jars have been sold. By the
way, do you have a source for claims about people's preferences for Cool
Whip?

Vox Humana

<Alan > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> thlink.net...
> >> Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can be
> >> added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream. My kids used to
> >> take popcicles and dip them in Cool Whip for treats the same with

cookies.
> >> You can add it to any recipe that calls for whipped cream (that has no
> >> taste and lots of fat and cholesterol) it doesn't melt or fade away and
> >> can be added to a 1 pound box of powdered sugar for a great frosting.
> >> Matt

> >Cool Whip is a first cousin to non-dairy coffee creamers. This class of
> >products contains hydrogenated tropical oils and saturated fat. If you

like
> >them, that is a personal thing. I see little to recommend them. I don't
> >think they taste very good - certainly not like real whipped cream. Cool
> >Whip has a strange chemical taste, probably from the artificial vanilla
> >flavor that it contains. I don't have whipped cream very often, maybe

twice
> >a year. I would rather have the real thing. You can stabilize whipped
> >cream if you want to use it in pastries.
> >

> I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
> come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
> taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
> taster could tell the difference!
>
> I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.

You might be right. However, as I recall, the CI test concluded that you
couldn't tell the difference when using vanillin in cooked/baked items but
they recommended using real vanilla in things like whipped cream that aren't
heated. One thing for sure it that there is a strange taste to Cool Whip.
I also think it is too sweet.

Ribitt

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> <Alan > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > > wrote in message
> > thlink.net...

be

> cookies.

no

and

> > >Cool Whip is a first cousin to non-dairy coffee creamers. This class

of
> > >products contains hydrogenated tropical oils and saturated fat. If you

> like
> > >them, that is a personal thing. I see little to recommend them. I

don't
> > >think they taste very good - certainly not like real whipped cream.

Cool
> > >Whip has a strange chemical taste, probably from the artificial vanilla
> > >flavor that it contains. I don't have whipped cream very often, maybe

> twice
> > >a year. I would rather have the real thing. You can stabilize whipped
> > >cream if you want to use it in pastries.
> > >

> > I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
> > come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
> > taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
> > taster could tell the difference!
> >
> > I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.
> >

> You might be right. However, as I recall, the CI test concluded that you
> couldn't tell the difference when using vanillin in cooked/baked items but
> they recommended using real vanilla in things like whipped cream that

aren't
> heated. One thing for sure it that there is a strange taste to Cool Whip.
> I also think it is too sweet.

Over the holiday season I sampled some rum punch which had an overly
generous amount of Cool Whip added. I thought it was terrible. Thick gooey
stuff. Could almost cut it with a knife.

Besides, I couldn't taste the rum. Bah humbug!

Vox Humana

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > <Alan > wrote in message

> > > thlink.net...

can
> be

used

> > cookies.

> no

> and

frosting.

> of

you
> > like

> don't

> Cool

vanilla

maybe
> > twice

whipped

> > > I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
> > > come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
> > > taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
> > > taster could tell the difference!
> > >
> > > I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.
> > >

> > You might be right. However, as I recall, the CI test concluded that

you
> > couldn't tell the difference when using vanillin in cooked/baked items

but
> > they recommended using real vanilla in things like whipped cream that

> aren't
> > heated. One thing for sure it that there is a strange taste to Cool

Whip.
> > I also think it is too sweet.
> >

> Over the holiday season I sampled some rum punch which had an overly
> generous amount of Cool Whip added. I thought it was terrible. Thick gooey
> stuff. Could almost cut it with a knife.
>
> Besides, I couldn't taste the rum. Bah humbug!

Cool Whip is a convenience food as far as I'm concerned. It's in the same
category as Tang, boxed macaroni and cheese, instant mashed potatoes, and
powdered soup mix. If you value convenience over flavor, then these are the
right products. However, they don't match the real thing for flavor.

Check out the wall street journal for November 02.
Yes we love Velveeta. Kids love it on crackers or on eggs or just about
anything. They wouldn't touch veggies until we put a dab on to get them
started. By the way it is great on baked potatoes with crispy bacon I
don't eat bacon but those that do say its good.
As a matter of fact I love Tang and have used it since we found out the
Astronauts used it. I don't like orange juice as it is too bitter but I
do prefer fresh oranges. They are not always available.
Last night the kids made a dessert with graham crackers a layer of fr.
vanilla Cool Whip, a layer of instant choc pudding, a layer of crackers
a layer of strawberry pudding, more cool whip and then more crackers and
the rest of the puddings and more cool whip. Looked strange but tastes
good.
Matt

Vox Humana wrote:

> > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>
>>What a surprise as Cool Whip is the largest selling topping of any
>>including whipped cream.
>>Whipped cream is not acceptable to most people.
>>Matt
>>

> Because of your top posting it is really hard to determine your position. I
> will assume that your are quite enthusiastic about Cool Whip. Of course,
> that's your right as it is mine to prefer real whipped cream. I would point
> out that there are lots of products that sell like mad, but that doesn't
> make them superior. For instance, Velveeta is quite popular because it is
> cheap, melts well, and doesn't require refrigeration until it is opened. My
> supermarket regularly puts entire skids of the stuff down the main isle at
> room temperature when it is on special. Does that make Velveeta superior or
> more acceptable than cheddar cheese. I think not. I also believe that
> "most people" don't have a clue about nutrition, and the relationship
> between saturated fat and cholesterol. How many people do you suppose
> prefer non-dairy creamer over real cream because they think it is a healthy
> choice? How many just like being able to have a jar of the stuff on the
> table and not have to worry about refrigeration and expiration dates? Many
> people think that margarine is more acceptable than butter, but that isn't
> the case from a medical point of view. I suppose that you really like Tang
> over real orange juice? After all, millions of jars have been sold. By the
> way, do you have a source for claims about people's preferences for Cool
> Whip?

Here we have used it all these years and never noticed any odd tastes.
It still beats whipped cream...too much work and you can't store it.

Alan wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
rthlink.net...

>>>Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can be
>>>added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream. My kids used to
>>>take popcicles and dip them in Cool Whip for treats the same with cookies.
>>>You can add it to any recipe that calls for whipped cream (that has no
>>>taste and lots of fat and cholesterol) it doesn't melt or fade away and
>>>can be added to a 1 pound box of powdered sugar for a great frosting.
>>>Matt

>>Cool Whip is a first cousin to non-dairy coffee creamers. This class of
>>products contains hydrogenated tropical oils and saturated fat. If you like
>>them, that is a personal thing. I see little to recommend them. I don't
>>think they taste very good - certainly not like real whipped cream. Cool
>>Whip has a strange chemical taste, probably from the artificial vanilla
>>flavor that it contains. I don't have whipped cream very often, maybe twice
>>a year. I would rather have the real thing. You can stabilize whipped
>>cream if you want to use it in pastries.
>>

> I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
> come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
> taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
> taster could tell the difference!
>
> I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.

Wow! People sure have different tastes my kids think it is too sour and
always add powdeded sugar. I think it tastes best that way too.

Vox Humana wrote:

> <Alan > wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
>>wrote:
>>

> wrote in message
arthlink.net...

> cookies.

>>>Cool Whip is a first cousin to non-dairy coffee creamers. This class of
>>>products contains hydrogenated tropical oils and saturated fat. If you

> like
>
>>>them, that is a personal thing. I see little to recommend them. I don't
>>>think they taste very good - certainly not like real whipped cream. Cool
>>>Whip has a strange chemical taste, probably from the artificial vanilla
>>>flavor that it contains. I don't have whipped cream very often, maybe

> twice
>
>>>a year. I would rather have the real thing. You can stabilize whipped
>>>cream if you want to use it in pastries.
>>>

>>I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
>>come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
>>taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
>>taster could tell the difference!
>>
>>I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.
>>

> You might be right. However, as I recall, the CI test concluded that you
> couldn't tell the difference when using vanillin in cooked/baked items but
> they recommended using real vanilla in things like whipped cream that aren't
> heated. One thing for sure it that there is a strange taste to Cool Whip.
> I also think it is too sweet.

> Cool Whip is a convenience food as far as I'm concerned. It's in the same
> category as Tang, boxed macaroni and cheese, instant mashed potatoes, and
> powdered soup mix. If you value convenience over flavor, then these are the
> right products. However, they don't match the real thing for flavor.

Jeez now you are attacking my families favourite foods. My kids have
grown up on macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes with brown gravy and
don't forget all the various forms of frozen potatoes. As too powdered
soup mixes I don't know which you use but the ones we use have a lot a
flavour and texture. I especially like the chicken tortilla soup and
the potatoe soups. I also use a lot of Fr.Onion packs when cooking veggies.
I really like convenience and I find this stuff to have lots of flavour.
Try the Mac and Cheese mixed with a can of Tuna...great.

When you think about it everything we eat is just a combo of chemical
ingredients along with some enzymes and other stuff.
Not much difference.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article k.net>,
> wrote:
>

>>Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can
>>be added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream.

> Not really. It's a miracle of chemical ingredients combined to simulate
> the taste of sweetened whipped heavy cream.

Sounds good to me but I would use cream cheese that is fat free and
this dessert becomes a health food.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>>I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
>>
>>What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
>>
>>Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe
>>calls for it?

>>thanks so much.
>>
>>Dee

> Think imitation sweetened whipped cream.
> I just made this pie using 1 pint whipping cream, whipped and sweetened:
>
> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
> 10-Minute German Sweet Chocolate Pie
>
> Recipe By:
> Serving Size: 1
> Preparation Time: 0:00
> Categories: Desserts
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 4 oz. German¹s Sweet Chocolate
> 1/3 cup milk
> 2 Tbsp. sugar
> 3 oz. cream cheese softened
> 3 1/2 cups Cool Whip
> 8 ² crumb crust (Johnson¹s prepared crust)
>
> Heat chocolate and 2 Tbsp. of the milk in a saucepan over low heat,
> stirring until chocolate is melted. Beat sugar into cream cheese; add
> remaining milk and chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in
> Cool Whip; spoon into crust. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Garnish
> with chocolate curls, if desired. Store leftovers (hah!!) in freezer.
>
> Makes 6-8 servings. Chris and Becky love it. Chocolate crust is good.
>
> ‹‹‹‹‹
> Notes: Source: Cool Whip container, November, 1980.
>

> Per serving (excluding unknown items): 444 Calories; 32g Fat (64%
> calories from fat); 9g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 104mg Cholesterol;
> 291mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fruit; 6 Fat; 1 1/2
> Other Carbohydrates
>
> _____

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Wow! People sure have different tastes my kids think it is too sour and
> always add powdeded sugar. I think it tastes best that way too.

I hesitate to comment because again, I can't tell exactly what you are
referring to due to your top posting. However, I also add sugar to cream
before I whip it. If your cream tastes sour, it is spoiled.

> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > <Alan > wrote in message
> >
> >>On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> >>wrote:
> >>

> > wrote in message
> arthlink.net...

be

> > cookies.

and

of

> > like

don't

Cool

> > twice

> >>I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
> >>come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
> >>taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
> >>taster could tell the difference!
> >>
> >>I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.
> >>

> > You might be right. However, as I recall, the CI test concluded that

you
> > couldn't tell the difference when using vanillin in cooked/baked items

but
> > they recommended using real vanilla in things like whipped cream that

aren't
> > heated. One thing for sure it that there is a strange taste to Cool

Whip.
> > I also think it is too sweet.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
link.net...

> > Cool Whip is a convenience food as far as I'm concerned. It's in the

same
> > category as Tang, boxed macaroni and cheese, instant mashed potatoes,

and
> > powdered soup mix. If you value convenience over flavor, then these are

the
> > right products. However, they don't match the real thing for flavor.

> Jeez now you are attacking my families favourite foods. My kids have
> grown up on macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes with brown gravy and
> don't forget all the various forms of frozen potatoes. As too powdered
> soup mixes I don't know which you use but the ones we use have a lot a
> flavour and texture. I especially like the chicken tortilla soup and
> the potatoe soups. I also use a lot of Fr.Onion packs when cooking

veggies.
> I really like convenience and I find this stuff to have lots of flavour.
> Try the Mac and Cheese mixed with a can of Tuna...great.

I'm not attacking anything. I'm just stating my opinion. People tend to
like what they are familiar with. Few people bake from scratch and it seems
that few people cook from basic ingredients. Therefore, they acquire food
preferences for things like Twinkies and shun whole wheat bread made from
scratch. You stated that real whipped cream was not acceptable to most
people. I question this as a survey can be skewed by the polling technique
and the way the questions are stated. If you prefer instant potatoes to
home made mashed potatoes then in some ways you have the advantage. There
are times that I wish that when confronted with choices that I would
gravitate towards the inexpensive, easy, and quick alternative.
Unfortunately I always gravitate towards high-end goods and more labor
intensive foods made from basic ingredients. I have nieces that won't touch
anything but McNuggets and fries. They only drink chocolate milk and soda.
I'm sure they are quite likely to choose Cool Whip over real whipped cream
too.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
link.net...
> Here we have used it all these years and never noticed any odd tastes.
> It still beats whipped cream...too much work and you can't store it.

You can get real whipped cream out of a can. It is ultra-pasturized and has
a long shelf life. The only work involved is removing the cap and pressing
the nozzle.

> Alan wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > wrote in message
> rthlink.net...

cookies.

> >>Cool Whip is a first cousin to non-dairy coffee creamers. This class of
> >>products contains hydrogenated tropical oils and saturated fat. If you

like
> >>them, that is a personal thing. I see little to recommend them. I

don't
> >>think they taste very good - certainly not like real whipped cream.

Cool
> >>Whip has a strange chemical taste, probably from the artificial vanilla
> >>flavor that it contains. I don't have whipped cream very often, maybe

twice
> >>a year. I would rather have the real thing. You can stabilize whipped
> >>cream if you want to use it in pastries.
> >>

> > I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
> > come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
> > taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
> > taster could tell the difference!
> >
> > I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
link.net...
> When you think about it everything we eat is just a combo of chemical
> ingredients along with some enzymes and other stuff.
> Not much difference.

Using your logic, latex paint would be an acceptable food.

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article k.net>,
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can
> >>be added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream.

> > Not really. It's a miracle of chemical ingredients combined to simulate
> > the taste of sweetened whipped heavy cream.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
link.net...
> Sounds good to me but I would use cream cheese that is fat free and
> this dessert becomes a health food.

Fat free doens't equal healthy. Just as I pointed out earlier, Cool Whip
has saturated fat which isn't healthy. It has 60% of its calories from fat,
and that is twice the recommended level for healthy eating. You mentioned
that your kids ate popsicles and cookies dipped into Cool Whip. That is far
from healthy eating.

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >, "Dee Randall"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
> >>
> >>What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
> >>
> >>Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe
> >>calls for it?

> >>thanks so much.
> >>
> >>Dee

> > Think imitation sweetened whipped cream.
> > I just made this pie using 1 pint whipping cream, whipped and sweetened:
> >
> > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
> >
> > 10-Minute German Sweet Chocolate Pie
> >
> > Recipe By:
> > Serving Size: 1
> > Preparation Time: 0:00
> > Categories: Desserts
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> > 4 oz. German¹s Sweet Chocolate
> > 1/3 cup milk
> > 2 Tbsp. sugar
> > 3 oz. cream cheese softened
> > 3 1/2 cups Cool Whip
> > 8 ² crumb crust (Johnson¹s prepared crust)
> >
> > Heat chocolate and 2 Tbsp. of the milk in a saucepan over low heat,
> > stirring until chocolate is melted. Beat sugar into cream cheese; add
> > remaining milk and chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in
> > Cool Whip; spoon into crust. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Garnish
> > with chocolate curls, if desired. Store leftovers (hah!!) in freezer.
> >
> > Makes 6-8 servings. Chris and Becky love it. Chocolate crust is good.
> >
> > ‹‹‹‹‹
> > Notes: Source: Cool Whip container, November, 1980.
> >

> > Per serving (excluding unknown items): 444 Calories; 32g Fat (64%
> > calories from fat); 9g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 104mg Cholesterol;
> > 291mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fruit; 6 Fat; 1 1/2
> > Other Carbohydrates
> >
> > _____

Sounds just like my kids.
Isn't that a sorry state for a Chiropractor who leads a wholesome non
allopathic lifestyle.
Matt

Vox Humana wrote:

> > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>>Cool Whip is a convenience food as far as I'm concerned. It's in the

> same
>
>>>category as Tang, boxed macaroni and cheese, instant mashed potatoes,

> and
>
>>>powdered soup mix. If you value convenience over flavor, then these are

> the
>
>>>right products. However, they don't match the real thing for flavor.

>>Jeez now you are attacking my families favourite foods. My kids have
>>grown up on macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes with brown gravy and
>>don't forget all the various forms of frozen potatoes. As too powdered
>>soup mixes I don't know which you use but the ones we use have a lot a
>>flavour and texture. I especially like the chicken tortilla soup and
>>the potatoe soups. I also use a lot of Fr.Onion packs when cooking

> veggies.
>
>>I really like convenience and I find this stuff to have lots of flavour.
>>Try the Mac and Cheese mixed with a can of Tuna...great.
>>

> I'm not attacking anything. I'm just stating my opinion. People tend to
> like what they are familiar with. Few people bake from scratch and it seems
> that few people cook from basic ingredients. Therefore, they acquire food
> preferences for things like Twinkies and shun whole wheat bread made from
> scratch. You stated that real whipped cream was not acceptable to most
> people. I question this as a survey can be skewed by the polling technique
> and the way the questions are stated. If you prefer instant potatoes to
> home made mashed potatoes then in some ways you have the advantage. There
> are times that I wish that when confronted with choices that I would
> gravitate towards the inexpensive, easy, and quick alternative.
> Unfortunately I always gravitate towards high-end goods and more labor
> intensive foods made from basic ingredients. I have nieces that won't touch
> anything but McNuggets and fries. They only drink chocolate milk and soda.
> I'm sure they are quite likely to choose Cool Whip over real whipped cream
> too.

The kids eat what they want to eat. We are not home much as busy
Chiropractors we don't spend much time with them and they fix or buy a
lot of their own foods.
As for us we are strictly vegetarians. The kids eat what their friends
and their nanny like.
Matt

Vox Humana wrote:

> > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>> Sounds good to me but I would use cream cheese that is fat free and
>>this dessert becomes a health food.

> Fat free doens't equal healthy. Just as I pointed out earlier, Cool Whip
> has saturated fat which isn't healthy. It has 60% of its calories from fat,
> and that is twice the recommended level for healthy eating. You mentioned
> that your kids ate popsicles and cookies dipped into Cool Whip. That is far
> from healthy eating.
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>Think imitation sweetened whipped cream.
>>>I just made this pie using 1 pint whipping cream, whipped and sweetened:
>>>
>>>{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>>>
>>>10-Minute German Sweet Chocolate Pie
>>>
>>>Recipe By:
>>>Serving Size: 1
>>>Preparation Time: 0:00
>>>Categories: Desserts
>>>
>>>Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
>>>4 oz. German¹s Sweet Chocolate
>>>1/3 cup milk
>>>2 Tbsp. sugar
>>>3 oz. cream cheese softened
>>>3 1/2 cups Cool Whip
>>>8 ² crumb crust (Johnson¹s prepared crust)
>>>
>>>Heat chocolate and 2 Tbsp. of the milk in a saucepan over low heat,
>>>stirring until chocolate is melted. Beat sugar into cream cheese; add
>>>remaining milk and chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in
>>>Cool Whip; spoon into crust. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Garnish
>>>with chocolate curls, if desired. Store leftovers (hah!!) in freezer.
>>>
>>>Makes 6-8 servings. Chris and Becky love it. Chocolate crust is good.
>>>
>>> ‹‹‹‹‹
>>>Notes: Source: Cool Whip container, November, 1980.
>>>

>>>Per serving (excluding unknown items): 444 Calories; 32g Fat (64%
>>>calories from fat); 9g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 104mg Cholesterol;
>>>291mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fruit; 6 Fat; 1 1/2
>>>Other Carbohydrates
>>>
>>>_____

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
hlink.net...
> The kids eat what they want to eat. We are not home much as busy
> Chiropractors we don't spend much time with them and they fix or buy a
> lot of their own foods.
> As for us we are strictly vegetarians. The kids eat what their friends
> and their nanny like.
> Matt

Matt, it's been great taking with you, but all things considered, your posts
seem a bit trollish.

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year and enjoy whipping...any
way you want.
Matt

Vox Humana wrote:

> > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>
>>The kids eat what they want to eat. We are not home much as busy
>>Chiropractors we don't spend much time with them and they fix or buy a
>>lot of their own foods.
>>As for us we are strictly vegetarians. The kids eat what their friends
>>and their nanny like.
>>Matt

> Matt, it's been great taking with you, but all things considered, your posts
> seem a bit trollish.

JimL

Or another variation: Do it without the crust in a square 8-inch cake
pan, cut down by almost half the Cool whip, let cool, cut into
squares. Noce cheesecake bars -- still kinda soft, so refrig or
semi-freeze before cutting and serving.

I'm sure there are recipes out there for similar things done more
accurately.

wrote in message hlink.net>...
> Sounds good to me but I would use cream cheese that is fat free and
> this dessert becomes a health food.
>
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >, "Dee Randall"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
> >>
> >>What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
> >>
> >>Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe
> >>calls for it?

> >>thanks so much.
> >>
> >>Dee

> > Think imitation sweetened whipped cream.
> > I just made this pie using 1 pint whipping cream, whipped and sweetened:
> >
> > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
> >
> > 10-Minute German Sweet Chocolate Pie
> >
> > Recipe By:
> > Serving Size: 1
> > Preparation Time: 0:00
> > Categories: Desserts
> >
> > Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> > 4 oz. German¹s Sweet Chocolate
> > 1/3 cup milk
> > 2 Tbsp. sugar
> > 3 oz. cream cheese softened
> > 3 1/2 cups Cool Whip
> > 8 ² crumb crust (Johnson¹s prepared crust)
> >
> > Heat chocolate and 2 Tbsp. of the milk in a saucepan over low heat,
> > stirring until chocolate is melted. Beat sugar into cream cheese; add
> > remaining milk and chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in
> > Cool Whip; spoon into crust. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Garnish
> > with chocolate curls, if desired. Store leftovers (hah!!) in freezer.
> >
> > Makes 6-8 servings. Chris and Becky love it. Chocolate crust is good.
> >
> > ‹‹‹‹‹
> > Notes: Source: Cool Whip container, November, 1980.
> >

> > Per serving (excluding unknown items): 444 Calories; 32g Fat (64%
> > calories from fat); 9g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 104mg Cholesterol;
> > 291mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fruit; 6 Fat; 1 1/2
> > Other Carbohydrates
> >
> > _____

JimL

Why all the basshing of Cool Whip? Some things that are imitations,
or substitutions, may not taste the same to the purists, but they
have their place, convenienece of use, and in some cases may actually
be better.

I can take one spoonful of Cool Whip out of the freezer whene I would
not consider making "purist" whipped cream. I can put a dessert
topped with Cool Whip back in the fridge or freexer and have it retain
its shape, whereas cream will dissolve and run all over the place.
etc., etc.

Sometimes it's better, sometimes close to the same, sometimes not.
All in our choices.

Similarly, yesterday I made beans and rice from (heaven forbid!)
canned red beans. No, I didn't soak the dried bag of beans overnight
and cook for hours. So shoot me. I can do the other. But these
tasted just fine for my porpoises.

wrote in message thlink.net>...
> Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year and enjoy whipping...any
> way you want.
> Matt
>
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
> > hlink.net...
> >
> >>The kids eat what they want to eat. We are not home much as busy
> >>Chiropractors we don't spend much time with them and they fix or buy a
> >>lot of their own foods.
> >>As for us we are strictly vegetarians. The kids eat what their friends
> >>and their nanny like.
> >>Matt

> > Matt, it's been great taking with you, but all things considered, your posts
> > seem a bit trollish.

Peggy

forgive me if I'm repeating what somebody else may have posted, but here's a
link to cool whip's website:
http://www.coolwhip.com . It's a commercial non-dairy version of whipped
cream. You could probably substitute real whipped cream for cool whip in
recipes that call for it.
~Peggy

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."
>
> What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?
>
> Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe calls

for
> it?
>
> thanks so much.
>
> Dee

No one has stated that Cool Whip is better or worse for you. There just
seems to be some bias here against it by some.
Too bad because as you say it is a matter of convenience and a better
resulting product.
Oh Well. We like the product.
Matt

JimL wrote:

> Why all the basshing of Cool Whip? Some things that are imitations,
> or substitutions, may not taste the same to the purists, but they
> have their place, convenienece of use, and in some cases may actually
> be better.
>
> I can take one spoonful of Cool Whip out of the freezer whene I would
> not consider making "purist" whipped cream. I can put a dessert
> topped with Cool Whip back in the fridge or freexer and have it retain
> its shape, whereas cream will dissolve and run all over the place.
> etc., etc.
>
> Sometimes it's better, sometimes close to the same, sometimes not.
> All in our choices.
>
> Similarly, yesterday I made beans and rice from (heaven forbid!)
> canned red beans. No, I didn't soak the dried bag of beans overnight
> and cook for hours. So shoot me. I can do the other. But these
> tasted just fine for my porpoises.

Wayne Boatwright

Alan wrote in
:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:06:17 -0900, "Peggy" >
> wrote:
>
>>forgive me if I'm repeating what somebody else may have posted, but
>>here's a link to cool whip's website:

http://www.coolwhip.com . It's a commercial non-dairy version of
>>whipped cream. You could probably substitute real whipped cream for
>>cool whip in recipes that call for it.
>>~Peggy
>>

> Gosh! I bet you could!
>

>:-)
>

> Alan

One minor difference could be that Cool Whip offers almost infinite
stability, whereas real whipped cream can sometimes return to a more
liquid state. It's whipped stability cna be unpredictable. This could
be an important factor in some of the recipes centering around Cool
Whip...not that I'd make them anyway.

Wayne
The Old Bear

Wayne Boatwright > writes:

>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>Subject: Cool Whip
>From: Wayne Boatwright >
>Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 05:35:48 GMT
>
>Alan wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 "Peggy" > wrote:
>>>
>>>forgive me if I'm repeating what somebody else may have posted, but
>>>here's a link to cool whip's website:

http://www.coolwhip.com . It's a commercial non-dairy version of
>>>whipped cream. You could probably substitute real whipped cream for
>>>cool whip in recipes that call for it.

>> Gosh! I bet you could!

>One minor difference could be that Cool Whip offers almost infinite
>stability, whereas real whipped cream can sometimes return to a more
>liquid state. It's whipped stability cna be unpredictable. This could
>be an important factor in some of the recipes centering around Cool
>Whip...not that I'd make them anyway.

Cool Whip (and similar non-dairy whipped toppings) have another
advantage over natural whipped cream: they do not sour at body
temperature.

Therefore, if you're planning to engage in any activity which requires
apply whipped cream to someone's body, you will be better served using
a non-dairy topping.

Just an observation.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

H. W. Hans Kuntze

The Old Bear wrote:

> [....]
>
>Cool Whip (and similar non-dairy whipped toppings) have another=20
>advantage over natural whipped cream: they do not sour at body=20
>temperature.
>
>Therefore, if you're planning to engage in any activity which requires=20
>apply whipped cream to someone's body, you will be better served using=20
>a non-dairy topping.

Would not do it for me, Bear. :-)

I'd rather slobber souered *real* cream off a triple bagger than Cruel=20
Whip=AE off Miss Universe.

Just an observation.

--=20
Grue$$e.

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
" Strive for excellence in your life & reject being a doormat to others. =
Serve God. "
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef[AT]cmcchef.com

cool whip sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 18-01-2015 09:52 PM
cool whip Jen General Cooking 28 17-01-2015 05:18 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] General Cooking 81 04-01-2008 04:57 PM
Cool Whip Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 20 23-12-2007 06:49 PM
Cool Whip and Dream whip Jen General Cooking 26 04-08-2005 02:05 PM