Spice Cake Mix for Fruit Cake?

Old 20-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Dan Wenz
Usenet poster

Default Spice Cake Mix for Fruit Cake?

My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.

Old 20-12-2003, 02:01 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Dan Wenz" wrote in message
My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.

Considering how expensive the ingredients are for a decent fruit cake, I
can't see using a cake mix for the batter. I would tale a look at one of
these recipes. The Christmas fruitcakes look like winners:
http://tinyurl.com/yrlye
Most traditional fruitcakes improve with age, so I wouldn't count on eating
one for about a month.

Old 20-12-2003, 02:28 AM
Jenn Ridley
Usenet poster

Dan Wenz wrote:

My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.

a google on 'fruitcake "spice cake" mix recipe' (use the double
quotes) gives these links.

http://southernfood.about.com/librar...3/bl30620e.htm
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,171,1...229205,00.html
http://www.sacbee.com/content/lifest...-6608959c.html
http://www.theangelladies.com/angel_...ew.htm#recipes

Googling on '"fruit cake" "spice cake" mix recipe yields
http://www.just-recipes.net/quick,_s...fruit_cake.htm
http://www.baking911.com/_disc10/00000513.htm
http://www.favoritebrandrecipes.com/...3450001160.htm

There may be duplicates, and I've not tried any of them, preferring to
make my fruitcakes from scratch.

You might simply try adding your prepared fruitcake mix to the cake
batter until it 'looks right'. (prepared means chopped, soaked,
dredged, etc.)

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Old 21-12-2003, 02:09 AM
Dan Wenz
Usenet poster

Thanks to all of you responders - All comments were forwarded to my wife
to do with them what she will (Been married too long to argue the logic
of fruit cake baking with her)!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 AM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wenz View Post
My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.
there is a fruit cake maded with spice and white cake mix I had the receipe, but I have misplaced it.I made it two years ago. very good fruit cake.