Bryan Havenstein

Default Oily bottomed bread

How can I get bread to turn out with a bottom similar to Pizza Hut pan
pizza? Whole Foods here has some small breads (sort of focaccia/ciabatta
like) that are topped with asiago cheese. The bottom is very oily and
crispy, sort of like it is fried.

I made some focaccia and put it in a pan sitting in what I thought was quite
a bit of oil. When baked, it did absorb the oil and it could be tasted in
the bread, however, it had normal bread consistency, and not that crispy,
fried texture I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:40:39 -0700
"Bryan Havenstein" > wrote:

> How can I get bread to turn out with a bottom similar to Pizza Hut pan
> pizza? Whole Foods here has some small breads (sort of
> focaccia/ciabatta like) that are topped with asiago cheese. The
> bottom is very oily and crispy, sort of like it is fried.
>
> I made some focaccia and put it in a pan sitting in what I thought was
> quite a bit of oil. When baked, it did absorb the oil and it could be
> tasted in the bread, however, it had normal bread consistency, and not
> that crispy, fried texture I'm looking for.

Simple, all you need is a 475 degree convection conveyor oven, and a
third of a cup of canola oil in the bottom of the pan. (Yeah, it's sort
of like it's fried because it's sort of fried)

The pan dough is hydrated to just on the edge of sticky. By the time it
comes out of the proofer, it is pretty sticky. When it over-proofs, it
leaves bits of dough stuck to the rack above them. It's a very
light-weight, fluffy dough.

Bryan Havenstein

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:40:39 -0700
> "Bryan Havenstein" > wrote:
>
> > How can I get bread to turn out with a bottom similar to Pizza Hut pan
> > pizza? Whole Foods here has some small breads (sort of
> > focaccia/ciabatta like) that are topped with asiago cheese. The
> > bottom is very oily and crispy, sort of like it is fried.
> >
> > I made some focaccia and put it in a pan sitting in what I thought was
> > quite a bit of oil. When baked, it did absorb the oil and it could be
> > tasted in the bread, however, it had normal bread consistency, and not
> > that crispy, fried texture I'm looking for.

> Simple, all you need is a 475 degree convection conveyor oven, and a
> third of a cup of canola oil in the bottom of the pan. (Yeah, it's sort
> of like it's fried because it's sort of fried)
>
> The pan dough is hydrated to just on the edge of sticky. By the time it
> comes out of the proofer, it is pretty sticky. When it over-proofs, it
> leaves bits of dough stuck to the rack above them. It's a very
> light-weight, fluffy dough.

So the pan starts out cold (or the same temp as the bread)? I wonder if it
would help if I heat the baking stone to 500, then put the pan directly on
the baking stone. Good to know they use a wet dough. The one I tried was
probably too heavy and dry. Time to try again!

Thanks

Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:36:27 -0700
"Bryan Havenstein" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:40:39 -0700
> > "Bryan Havenstein" > wrote:
> >
> > > How can I get bread to turn out with a bottom similar to Pizza Hut
> > > pan pizza? Whole Foods here has some small breads (sort of
> > > focaccia/ciabatta like) that are topped with asiago cheese. The
> > > bottom is very oily and crispy, sort of like it is fried.
> > >
> > > I made some focaccia and put it in a pan sitting in what I thought
> > > was quite a bit of oil. When baked, it did absorb the oil and it
> > > could be tasted in the bread, however, it had normal bread
> > > consistency, and not that crispy, fried texture I'm looking for.

> > Simple, all you need is a 475 degree convection conveyor oven, and a
> > third of a cup of canola oil in the bottom of the pan. (Yeah, it's
> > sort of like it's fried because it's sort of fried)
> >
> > The pan dough is hydrated to just on the edge of sticky. By the time
> > it comes out of the proofer, it is pretty sticky. When it
> > over-proofs, it leaves bits of dough stuck to the rack above them.
> > It's a very light-weight, fluffy dough.
> >

> So the pan starts out cold (or the same temp as the bread)? I wonder
> if it would help if I heat the baking stone to 500, then put the pan
> directly on the baking stone. Good to know they use a wet dough. The
> one I tried was probably too heavy and dry. Time to try again!

Ten years ago i was briefly a 'dough master' at a very busy pizzahut
delivery unit. Worst job in the whole place, everybody hates you,
everything is your fault.

Couldn't tell you what's in the dough past a bag of 'pan dough' mix and
warm water.

After it comes out of the mixer it's portioned by weight, and kneaded
by folding it and passing it through a dough roller several times, then
rolled vaguely circular and put into a pre-oiled pan. the 14" pan is
supposed to have 1/3rd cup of oil in it, less if the drivers were
slacking off the night before (yet it's still the dough master's fault
if it sticks).

They're proofed for, iirc, 40 minutes, in a commercial dough proofer,
and then refrigerated. They go into the oven cold, but, it's a very
effective oven. forced air. Bake time is just a few minutes (I forget
how many, wasn't part of my job).

oily fish snacks RichD General Cooking 35 05-10-2016 10:41 PM
To mix, or not to mix, oily peanut butter Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 32 07-11-2011 01:43 AM
Thick bottomed pans [email protected] General Cooking 8 11-01-2007 10:02 AM
Oily Elderberry John Price Winemaking 2 28-12-2005 03:27 PM
Cleaning copper bottomed pots Steve Vegetarian cooking 8 24-01-2005 11:27 PM