Member

Default Suggested Baked Goods for Troops in Afghanistan

I've been requested by my niece who is a medic in Afghanistan for my Banana Bread (BB) that she misses (just a reminder of home - only special to her:-)). I'm concerned that it will spoil en route. Any suggestions for baked goods that won't spoil? Could I freeze the BB and send? It's a quick delivery I hear. I did see a thread with a list of cookies. There were so many cookies, some of which I would question. It appears that anything with milk, butter, eggs, cocoa don't last. What is being requested is home baked goods as they have many rations and store bought preserved items.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Elayne wrote:
> I've been requested by my niece who is a medic in Afghanistan for my
> Banana Bread (BB) that she misses (just a reminder of home - only
> special to her:-)). I'm concerned that it will spoil en route. Any
> suggestions for baked goods that won't spoil? Could I freeze the BB
> and send? It's a quick delivery I hear. I did see a thread with a
> list of cookies. There were so many cookies, some of which I would
> question. It appears that anything with milk, butter, eggs, cocoa
> don't last. What is being requested is home baked goods as they have
> many rations and store bought preserved items.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I would worry about it getting moldy. What about wrapping it tightly
in cheesecloth soaked in rum or brandy, then in plastic wrap or foil?

That should deter the mold for a few extra days at least.

gloria p
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria P View Post
Elayne wrote:
I've been requested by my niece who is a medic in Afghanistan for my
Banana Bread (BB) that she misses (just a reminder of home - only
special to her:-)). I'm concerned that it will spoil en route. Any
suggestions for baked goods that won't spoil? Could I freeze the BB
and send? It's a quick delivery I hear. I did see a thread with a
list of cookies. There were so many cookies, some of which I would
question. It appears that anything with milk, butter, eggs, cocoa
don't last. What is being requested is home baked goods as they have
many rations and store bought preserved items.

Thanks in advance.

I would worry about it getting moldy. What about wrapping it tightly
in cheesecloth soaked in rum or brandy, then in plastic wrap or foil?

That should deter the mold for a few extra days at least.

gloria p
http://www.b2cwatch.com provides excellent customer service and extraordinary merchandise. We wish to inform and educate our customers on the historical and collectable values of Rolex and to help direct you in the important acquisition of a Rolex watch.
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jul 5, 2:24*pm, Elayne >
wrote:
> I've been requested by my niece who is a medic in Afghanistan for my
> Banana Bread (BB) that she misses (just a reminder of home - only
> special to her:-)). I'm concerned that it will spoil en route. *Any
> suggestions for baked goods that won't spoil? *Could I freeze the BB
> and send? *It's a quick delivery I hear. *I did see a thread with a
> list of cookies. *There were so many cookies, some of which I would
> question. *It appears that anything with milk, butter, eggs, cocoa
> don't last. *What is being requested is home baked goods as they have
> many rations and store bought preserved items. *
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Elayne

How about biscotti? They are already dry, and you could make a bunch
of different kinds...

Baked goods: Calculating your cost [email protected] General Cooking 27 12-03-2016 07:59 PM
Smoking baked goods ginandtonix Baking 0 09-01-2012 01:43 AM
preserving baked goods Forbeo Preserving 7 03-09-2007 10:09 AM
Extra money for your baked goods . . . Treetop flyer Baking 2 03-04-2006 04:21 AM
shipping homemade baked goods Marge General Cooking 16 22-11-2004 06:36 PM