Suggested Baked Goods for Troops in Afghanistan

Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Member

Default Suggested Baked Goods for Troops in Afghanistan

I've been requested by my niece who is a medic in Afghanistan for my Banana Bread (BB) that she misses (just a reminder of home - only special to her:-)). I'm concerned that it will spoil en route. Any suggestions for baked goods that won't spoil? Could I freeze the BB and send? It's a quick delivery I hear. I did see a thread with a list of cookies. There were so many cookies, some of which I would question. It appears that anything with milk, butter, eggs, cocoa don't last. What is being requested is home baked goods as they have many rations and store bought preserved items.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Elayne wrote:
I've been requested by my niece who is a medic in Afghanistan for my
Banana Bread (BB) that she misses (just a reminder of home - only
special to her:-)). I'm concerned that it will spoil en route. Any
suggestions for baked goods that won't spoil? Could I freeze the BB
and send? It's a quick delivery I hear. I did see a thread with a
list of cookies. There were so many cookies, some of which I would
question. It appears that anything with milk, butter, eggs, cocoa
don't last. What is being requested is home baked goods as they have
many rations and store bought preserved items.

Thanks in advance.

I would worry about it getting moldy. What about wrapping it tightly
in cheesecloth soaked in rum or brandy, then in plastic wrap or foil?

That should deter the mold for a few extra days at least.

gloria p
Old 09-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria P View Post

http://www.b2cwatch.com provides excellent customer service and extraordinary merchandise. We wish to inform and educate our customers on the historical and collectable values of Rolex and to help direct you in the important acquisition of a Rolex watch.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.baking

--
Elayne

How about biscotti? They are already dry, and you could make a bunch
of different kinds...