Pound Cake - What Temperature Done?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Pound Cake - What Temperature Done?

I baked a pound cake this morning, and, to avoid future use of the
wife's wooden skewers, thus incurring her wrath, I decided to measure
the internal temperature with my digital thermometer after visual check
and a one-time use of one skewer, for future reference so that I might
use internal temperature rather than shoving sharp objects into the cake.

I checked the temperature (Lazily, in only one location), which was
208F/98C after removing the cake from the oven, 1hr45' after starting
in a Bundt pan, from a cold oven set at 325F/163C. In future, I'll
check several areas just before removing the cake, but as a one time
"cheap and dirty" check, I wonder whether any of you folks have
performed the same "experiment" with a pound cake also.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 12:56:57 -0500, Dan Wenz
wrote:

decided to measure
the internal temperature with my digital thermometer after visual check

Before ramming it full of holes with the digital....just do a close
examination. The cake will be done when it is golden and you see it
SLIGHTLY pulling away from the edge of the pan. It is done.
Cakes have been baked for centuries without the aid of a digial
thermometer.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 PM posted to rec.food.baking

"Dan Wenz" wrote in message
I baked a pound cake this morning, and, to avoid future use of the wife's
wooden skewers, thus incurring her wrath, I decided to measure the internal
temperature with my digital thermometer after visual check and a one-time
use of one skewer, for future reference so that I might use internal
temperature rather than shoving sharp objects into the cake.

I checked the temperature (Lazily, in only one location), which was
208F/98C after removing the cake from the oven, 1hr45' after starting in
a Bundt pan, from a cold oven set at 325F/163C. In future, I'll check
several areas just before removing the cake, but as a one time "cheap and
dirty" check, I wonder whether any of you folks have performed the same
"experiment" with a pound cake also.

I haven't used my digital thermometer on a pound cake, but I have used it on
a rich fruit cake. I set the alarm just short of 212F/100C, then back of the
oven and hold 212/100 for the duration of the recipe.

For example recipe "Bake for 2 hours 15min at 325F/160C" Alarm goes off
after 90mins so I drop the temperature for the next 45 mins, and try and
maintain the internal cake temp of 212/100. This insures that the center is
moist, without being over or undercooked.

For this recipe there is no need for me to use the thermometer again -
unless I change the ingredients or weights etc. I then set the kitchen timer
for 2hr 15m, then reduce the temperature 250F/120C for the next 45 mins. You
would think the internal temp would go past 212/100, but it doesn't - well
perhaps by a very small margin.
Bertie

Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Mar 6, 10:56*am, Dan Wenz wrote:
I baked a pound cake this morning, and, to avoid future use of the
wife's wooden skewers, thus incurring her wrath, I decided to measure
the internal temperature with my digital thermometer after visual check
and a one-time use of one skewer, for future reference so that I might
use internal temperature rather than shoving sharp objects into the cake.

I checked the temperature (Lazily, in only one location), which was
208F/98C after removing the cake from the oven, 1hr45' after starting
in a Bundt pan, from a cold oven set at 325F/163C. In future, I'll
check several areas just before removing the cake, but as a one time
"cheap and dirty" check, I wonder whether any of you folks have
performed the same "experiment" with a pound cake also.

I have with bread- it's done at 195-205...
Old 10-04-2009, 06:15 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Merryb wrote:
On Mar 6, 10:56 am, Dan Wenz wrote:
I baked a pound cake this morning, and, to avoid future use of the
wife's wooden skewers, thus incurring her wrath, I decided to measure
the internal temperature with my digital thermometer after visual check
and a one-time use of one skewer, for future reference so that I might
use internal temperature rather than shoving sharp objects into the cake.

I checked the temperature (Lazily, in only one location), which was
208F/98C after removing the cake from the oven, 1hr45' after starting
in a Bundt pan, from a cold oven set at 325F/163C. In future, I'll
check several areas just before removing the cake, but as a one time
"cheap and dirty" check, I wonder whether any of you folks have
performed the same "experiment" with a pound cake also.

I have with bread- it's done at 195-205...

Thanks for all responders - had to wipe my harddrive out and reformat
some time ago, just getting back to this Group. Baking another now using
a recipe from America's Test Kitchen.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

around 150-160 C should be an ideal temperature.....

Ummm... u might want to check out this place. Likely that you'll find an answer here - The Dark Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wenz View Post

Old 23-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hound View Post
around 150-160 C should be an ideal temperature.....

Ummm... u might want to check out this place. Likely that you'll find an answer here - The Dark Truth
I was just going to make it - thanks for useful tips people!

Last edited by 3dfan : 01-07-2009 at 09:09 AM.