Easy way to measure shortening

Old 22-05-2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Easy way to measure shortening

My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
here is a simple yet easy way to do it.

Most Pie Crust recipes call for 1/2 cup of shortening. If you don't
have a measuring cup, or you are just trying to save a little time,
you can take a 1 cup measuring cup and fill it to the 1/2 cup line
with COLD water, then you can spoon in your shortening, butter, or
margerine until the water level reaches the 1 cup line. This will give
you the 1/2 of shortening, butter or margerine that you need for your
recipe. Just remember to use COLD water as warm water will melt what
ever it is you are trying to measure.

I use this method everytime I bake as it is faster and cuts down on
the dirty dishes I have when I am through baking. Try it and let me
know what YOU think.

Check out my Blog at: http://oldfashioncooking.blogspot.com
Old 23-05-2008, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.baking
KD

On May 22, 2:09*pm, weaver wrote:
[...]

This is called the water displacement method. I remember learning it
in home ec class in the mid-80's. Still works!
Old 23-05-2008, 11:21 AM posted to rec.food.baking

An oldie but a goodie.

However it makes me think about the difficulty of measuring solid
ingredients in cups. I've always had problems when looking at American
recipes. When I lived in England we didn't use cups for measuring (just
weights or quantities) and in Australia cups are only used for non solid
things (flour, liquids etc). No doubt there's a rational explanation!

Old 23-05-2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu 22 May 2008 10:09:32a, weaver told us...

My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
here is a simple yet easy way to do it.

I used to do that occasionally before I had a scale. I find the scale
simpler and less messy. I just put a piece of plastic wrap on the top of the
scale and spoon the solid shortening onto it. 1/2 cup of shortening equals 4
oz. advp. In other words, ounce for ounce. Easy.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Old 26-05-2008, 02:36 AM posted to rec.food.baking

On May 23, 10:53*am, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
On Thu 22 May 2008 10:09:32a, weaver told us...

My Aunt taught me this trick many years ago. If you ever need to get
the right amount of Shortening for say...Your home made Pie Crust,
here is a simple yet easy way to do it.

I used to do that occasionally before I had a scale. *I find the scale
simpler and less messy. *I just put a piece of plastic wrap on the top of the
scale and spoon the solid shortening onto it. *1/2 cup of shortening equals 4
oz. advp. *In other words, ounce for ounce. Easy.

--
* * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
* * *Friday, 05(V)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
* * * * Countdown till Memorial Day * * * *
* * * * * * 2dys 15hrs 10mins * * * * * *
* *I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether *
* my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of *
* * * *meeting me is another matter. * * *

I also use a scale but without the plastic: I put my mixing bowl on
the scale, "tare it" or zero it out, then add the shortening by weight
(1T=12 or 14 gm, for example). It is accurate and there is only one
messy scraper to wash. I LOVE my digital scale!
Old 26-05-2008, 04:09 AM posted to rec.food.baking

On Sun 25 May 2008 06:36:37p, told us...

wrote:
[...]

My scale is quite small, although will weight up to 15 lbs. Unfortunately,
a mixing bowl sitting on top prevents me from seeing the readout.
Otherwise, I'd use the bowl.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Old 26-05-2008, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
6.120:

My scale is quite small, although will weight up to 15 lbs.
Unfortunately, a mixing bowl sitting on top prevents me from seeing
the readout. Otherwise, I'd use the bowl.

OXO makes an 11# max scale that has a pull out display for those
situations.

Old 26-05-2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 17:32:52 GMT, "M. Halbrook"
wrote:

OXO makes an 11# max scale that has a pull out display for those
situations.

That is a nice looking scale. I think I saw it in Fine Cooking.
Unfortunately, I still have an old one and use a clear glass bowl so I
can see the read out. My food processor bowl still fits on the weight
table, and I use that the most for weighing.

Old 26-05-2008, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Mon 26 May 2008 10:32:52a, M. Halbrook told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
6.120:

My scale is quite small, although will weight up to 15 lbs.
Unfortunately, a mixing bowl sitting on top prevents me from seeing
the readout. Otherwise, I'd use the bowl.

OXO makes an 11# max scale that has a pull out display for those
situations.

Hey, that would be nice, but I don't really need another scale. This one
is fairly new.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Old 12-06-2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I used to do that occasionally before I had a scale. I find the scale
simpler and less messy. I just put a piece of plastic wrap on the top of the
scale and spoon the solid shortening onto it. 1/2 cup of shortening equals 4
oz. advp. In other words, ounce for ounce. Easy.

oh, wow, I need to get a kitchen scale. I never thought of this, and it
is BRILLIANT!!!