Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Substitute for Lemon Extract

The following is a recipe for lemon layer cake.
How much fresh lemon juice and lemon zest should I use in place of the 1/2
tsp of lemon extract? I googled lemon extract and found mostly companies
that sell lemon extract. Thanks in advance.

2 1/2 cups cake flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup Crisco
1 cup milk
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 eggs

Posted to rec.food.baking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 6-Apr-2007, "Frank103" > wrote:
>
>> The following is a recipe for lemon layer cake.
>> How much fresh lemon juice and lemon zest should I use in place of the 1/2
>>
>> tsp of lemon extract? I googled lemon extract and found mostly companies
>> that sell lemon extract. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> 2 1/2 cups cake flour
>> 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
>> 1/2 tsp salt
>> 1 1/2 cups sugar
>> 1/2 cup Crisco
>> 1 cup milk
>> 1 tsp Vanilla
>> 1/2 tsp lemon extract
>> 2 eggs

> The website I use for substitutions
> (http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Common-S...ns/Detail.aspx) does not
> directly answer your question; however, you can back into it. It offers
> lemon juice or lemon extract as substitutes for lemon zest; suggesting 1/2
> teaspoon lemon extract OR 2 tablespoons lemon juice in place of 1 teaspoon
> of lemon zest. Perhaps the reverse, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or 1
> teaspoon of lemon zest, would substitute for your required 1/2 tsp of lemon
> extract.
> I think I would go with 1 teaspoon of (fresh, not dried) lemon zest, instead
> of 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, to keep the amount of wet ingredients close
> to that called for in your recipe.
> Good luck.

I would also substitute a tsp. of baking soda (sodium bicarb)
for one of the tsps. of baking powder because of the added acid
if you do use lemon juice.

gloria p