Korean "Pickle" selection

Old 27-12-2005, 02:45 AM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

Default Korean "Pickle" selection

When one eats in many types of Korean restaurants it's expected that a
set of from 4 to 8 little plates of pickles of various kinds will
precede the meal. It's as average a part of the table as the napkin
dispenser.

What is this selection called, generically, as provided by the
restaurant. Don't they have a name for their selection-of-whatzits, no
matter their content. This would be a word that would apply to any
such place.

Thanks for any aid. This is a fantastic cuisine for exploration.

--
Thank you and have a nice day.
Old 27-12-2005, 03:39 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

In article , Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:45:52 -0800, gtr
wrote:

When one eats in many types of Korean restaurants it's expected that a
set of from 4 to 8 little plates of pickles of various kinds will
precede the meal. It's as average a part of the table as the napkin
dispenser.

What is this selection called, generically, as provided by the
restaurant. Don't they have a name for their selection-of-whatzits, no
matter their content. This would be a word that would apply to any
such place.

"Panchan" is the word you're looking for. "Side Dish" is also
commonly used here in the US. A favorite [very] Korean market of
mine is called "Side Dish Corner", which specializes in home-made
panchan.

Though not publicized, its perfectly acceptable to ask for more of
a certain side dish (or dishes), or if you know beforehand, ask
for a larger portion of a certain side dish before they're served.

I always ask for a larger portion of kimchi cabbage, and any other
kimchi I know that particular restaurant serves.

Thatnks, Steve. Note you almost seem to use the word "kimchi" at the
end of your response to connote generic pickles of any kind. Seems
I've heard that done as well. Is this too what "kimchi" means;
sidedish?

--
Thank you and have a nice day.
Old 28-12-2005, 04:07 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

In article , Steve Wertz
wrote:

Some people call all the side dishes kimchi (or kimchee - same thing)
rather than panchan, but that's not correct.

Are some of these people actually Korean?

Fried tofu with sweet glaze, or sweet potato starch noodles, etc..
neither are kimchi. There's usually only 1-3 kimchis served as
panchan at most restaurants.

--
Thank you and have a nice day.
Old 28-12-2005, 04:32 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

Hi gtr,

Thanks for any aid. This is a fantastic cuisine for exploration.

Right you are! Try
http://www.skynews.co.kr/skynews_mai...dishes_011.htm to
...._049.htm, the recipes are from hollym-books. I've got the books and
have prepared many of the dishes. Try it!

Bye, Sanne.

Old 28-12-2005, 05:43 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

In article .com,
sanne wrote:

Thanks for any aid. This is a fantastic cuisine for exploration.

Right you are! Try
http://www.skynews.co.kr/skynews_mai...dishes_011.htm to
..._049.htm, the recipes are from hollym-books. I've got the books and
have prepared many of the dishes. Try it!

Thanks so much. For passers-by the parent of this page can be viewed
he

http://www.skynews.co.kr/skynews_mai...lish.htm#focus

With lots of culturally-related stuff. Getting cooler all the time. I
live near Koreatown in Garden Grove, California. The places to try are
too many even to count!

--
Thank you and have a nice day.
Old 28-12-2005, 06:21 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

Hi gtr,

http://www.skynews.co.kr/skynews_mai...lish.htm#focus

There are lots of sites ...

Getting cooler all the time.

:-)))))))

I live near Koreatown in Garden Grove, California. The places to try are
too many even to count!

We live in Munich, Germany. Not too many Koreans here, but one very
good store with Korean stuff and some restaurants - we do prefer the
one where we accidentally meet the owner of "our" shop a lot ... ;-))

Try to get your hands on "Ugly Koreans - Ugly Americans" by BCM Media,
Inc., http://www.bcm.co.kr - You'll laugh your (insert preferred part
of your body to be laughed off here) off while learning a lot about
Korean culture and behavior!

Bye, Sanne.

Old 28-12-2005, 11:41 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

This is a cut and paste of an exchange on r.f.c. from years back. We had
some native Koreans weigh in and the whole catagory of "little dishes"
was banchan, and namul was a subset. If you google "korean side dishes"
and "korean little dishes" you can come up with a lot of info.

begin paste
I just checked this out with a Korean doc I know pretty well, and who
loves to eat. He said that banchan in the entire class of little side
dishes and that namul was 'vegetable', and could be a side dish, or not,
but not beans. The banchan that are veggies are 'namul', but so is
spinach in it's raw form.

and then Jay wrote:

:However, 'Namul' can be two different meaning. It
:can be all eatable wild greens and you can also say 'Namul' for seasoned
:and sometimes cooked greens as a side dish. For preparing, usually parboil
:greens first, some 'Namul' doesn't, and season with toasted sesame seed,
:sesame oil, minced garlic, chopped green onion and salt if green has :light
:color such as bean sprouts or soy sauce if green has dark color such as
:bracken.
Old 30-12-2005, 04:21 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

Hallo Sanne,
Nah wie gehts? Habe eine lange Zeit in Miesbach gewohnt.
Yes, I agree, not that many Koreans there.
We were doing a commercial for a new German product and we wanted to sell it
to the Asian market, especially the Japanese. So the logo would be "Made in
Germany especially for Japanese". We looked for Japanese young people and
could only find a lot of Chinese young kids at the Uni there. In the end
the commercial featured Chinese young kids.
If I needed Asian ingredients, I used to trravel all the way to Holland and
stock up there .......
BTW, "Made in Germania" heisst "da ist ein Wurm drin" %=)

Alles Gute, aus Utah.

"sanne" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi gtr,