vietnamese brown sauce

Old 05-11-2005, 07:19 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

Default vietnamese brown sauce

hello!
I have tried googling BUT, I don't even know the name of this sauce. It's a
thick, sweetish, brown sauce, usually topped with chopped peanuts and served
with vietnamese spring rolls. I asked the waiter "what is the name of this
sauce?" and he replied, "we usually just call it brown sauce." It's
definitely not just hoisin sauce but something less spicey and more
caramelly....does anyone have a name for this sauce and a recipe--or how to
find it on a google search? I've tried looking it up under "vietnamese
food" but am having no luck.
Thanks for all future help!

Old 06-11-2005, 09:11 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

Darawen Littlestich wrote...
hello!
I have tried googling BUT, I don't even know the name of this sauce. It's a
thick, sweetish, brown sauce, usually topped with chopped peanuts and served
with vietnamese spring rolls. I asked the waiter "what is the name of this
sauce?" and he replied, "we usually just call it brown sauce." It's
definitely not just hoisin sauce but something less spicey and more
caramelly....does anyone have a name for this sauce and a recipe--or how to
find it on a google search? I've tried looking it up under "vietnamese
food" but am having no luck.
Thanks for all future help!

Yeah, I had that sauce a few weeks ago at a Vietnamese restaurant, with
spring rolls. I don't know what it's called, but I could tell it was
peanut-based with a hint of chocolate. I would prefer it as a dessert
sauce, while I love spicy Thai peanut sauce with meat, chocolate and
meat just don't go together in my mind.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:32 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

Alfonz wrote on Sun, 06 Nov 2005 21:11:29 GMT:

AM Darawen Littlestich wrote...
?? hello!
?? I have tried googling BUT, I don't even know the name of
?? this sauce. It's a thick, sweetish, brown sauce, usually
?? topped with chopped peanuts and served with vietnamese
?? spring rolls.
?? clipping

?? AM Yeah, I had that sauce a few weeks ago at a
?? Vietnamese
AM restaurant, with spring rolls. I don't know what it's
AM called, but I could tell it was peanut-based with a hint of

It's obviously not the sweet peppery sauce made with fish sauce
and lime juice (nuoc mam) that is often served but in 2001
Gourmet magazine had a summer roll recipe with a sauce that
might match. I have not tried it so no guarantees!

For peanut sauce

3 tablespoons finely chopped onion

1 small garlic clove, minced

3/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

3 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter

1 tablespoon hoisin sauce

1 teaspoon tomato paste

3/4 teaspoon sugar

Make sauce: Cook onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes in oil in
a small heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until pale
golden, about 4 minutes. Whisk in remaining sauce ingredients.
Simmer, whisking, 1 minute, then cool.

James Silverton.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:29 AM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

For the best gourmet hot sauce go he

http://www.geocities.com/girl2girl416/SOHOT.html

Old 07-11-2005, 05:23 AM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

i'm not vietnamese but we have a brown sauce that we use on our fresh
spring rolls (filipino lumpia) -- we call it "paalat" -- roughly "to
make salty" but it's actually sweet. basically a mixture of soy
sauce-chicken stock (or any liquid used in cooking the veggies for the
spring roll)-sugar-cornstarch. the brown sauce is poured on the spring
roll and topped with minced garlic and chopped peanuts. hth.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:20 PM posted to alt.food.asian
Usenet poster

In article , "James Silverton"
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net says...
[...]

Google "Nuoc Leo". Also "Vietnamese Peanut Dipping Sauce" or "Hoisin-
Peanut Sauce". A traditional recipe is explained he

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sp...se/peanut.html

They note that most of the sauces found in restaurants are actually like
the one posted by James, or even just peanut butter and hoisin sauce with
water. I have not actally had a version close to the "traditional" sauce
in a restaurant. I did see recipes for a Buddhist (vegan) version that
used "Tuong" (sometimes labelled Vietnamese Soy Sauce) instead of hosin
sauce, and several other "traditional" versions that included ground up
cooked chicken livers and pork, or alternatively tamarind, or even nuoc
mam. Apparently there are as many "traditional" versions of Nuoc Leo as
there are "traditional" versions of Nuoc Cham.

My co-workers explained that Nuoc Leo is more common in South Vietnam
compared to the North. A lot of Vietnamese restaurants I have been at
will offer Peanut Sauce to "round-eyes" unless you ask for Nuoc Cham, or
they already know you. Even then, the Nuoc Cham often has no chiles in
it, but then you just add as much as you like from the condiment bowls at
the side of the table.

Dennis

recipes 2 Mike \Piedmont\ Barbecue 0 25-09-2005 07:43 AM
Some Common Myths about TABASCO® Brand Pepper Sauce McIlhenny Company Archives General Cooking 0 19-05-2005 10:34 PM
Caper berry sauce KK General Cooking 5 17-09-2004 05:50 PM
Sauce recipe Captin-Hook Barbecue 9 26-01-2004 06:14 PM
Dipping Sauces (11) Collection luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 06-01-2004 01:38 PM