Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
William LACK

Default Kim Chi

I am looking for a nice earthenware Korean kimchi jar - looked all over the
internet and can't find anyone who has them on an online store - and no
Korean website sells them ( as far as I can tell )....

I saw some recently that weren't for sale - mores the pity - they were
really beautiful - deep chocolate brown unglazed!

thanks

William Lack

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
Jerry Avins

William LACK wrote:
> I am looking for a nice earthenware Korean kimchi jar - looked all over the
> internet and can't find anyone who has them on an online store - and no
> Korean website sells them ( as far as I can tell )....
>
> I saw some recently that weren't for sale - mores the pity - they were
> really beautiful - deep chocolate brown unglazed!
>
> thanks

I'm familiar with two Oriental supermarket chains: Great Wall, and Hong
Kong Supermarket. HKS at least, had them when I looked. A local oriental
grocery might be able to order one for you.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
DC.

"William LACK" > wrote in message
>I am looking for a nice earthenware Korean kimchi jar - looked all over
>the internet and can't find anyone who has them on an online store - and no
>Korean website sells them ( as far as I can tell )....
>
> I saw some recently that weren't for sale - mores the pity - they were
> really beautiful - deep chocolate brown unglazed!

Hi Will,

Try some of the Korean shops/supermarkets around New Malden/South Wimbledon
area, that's where most of London's Korean community hang out.

And here's something that might put a smile on your face
http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...atures/90.html & page 2. Not
quite red pepper in HK but nearly...

DC.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
William LACK

Cheers DC

I will investigate! Saliva glands working overtime - Blue Thames is not far
from me so maybe in the next week or so I will go and see!

Thanks for the tip about New Malden - I saw some Kimchi jars at the Victoria
& Albert Museum - they just look so nice that despite no room in the kitchen
for one, I still NEED one.

William Lack

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
DC.

"William LACK" > wrote in message
<snip>
> Thanks for the tip about New Malden - I saw some Kimchi jars at the
> Victoria & Albert Museum - they just look so nice that despite no room in
> the kitchen for one, I still NEED one.

i was cordially invited to the V&A last friday for the Chinese art event,
quite intersting & built up a healthy discussion after with a handful of
mainlanders which ended up in us going for supper in HK diner at 1am! To
make this post on topic, there were a few Koreans with us so i will ask them
if they know where you can go & buy a kim chee jar in London. btw... how big
a jar do you need? i hope it's a jar & not one of those giant urns that the
Korean villagers use to make their communal kim chee! LOL.

DC.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
sanne

DC. wrote:

> how big a jar do you need? i hope it's a jar & not one of those giant
> urns that the Korean villagers use to make their communal kim chee! LOL.

<G> The ones you can stand in? Well - to fill them, try
http://interwinbook.com/lost080/kimchi/
That's "The Book of Kimchi" with its history including lovely pictures
and many recipes.

Ciao, Sanne.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
William LACK

thanks DC appreciate your help on this one - did you see the jars in the
small Korean display?

Were you at the Asian Art Week party, I thought that was tomorrow?

Korea-town in New Malden will be getting a visit this weekend...... anyone
know the best and biggest Korean supermarket in the area?

William Lack

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
DC.

"William LACK" > wrote in message

> thanks DC appreciate your help on this one - did you see the jars in the
> small Korean display?

yes i saw some but one that did catch my eye was a very simple urn/vase that
was very simply made & glaced... a true beauty indeed.

> Were you at the Asian Art Week party, I thought that was tomorrow?

No it was part of the Between Past & Future, new Phot. & Video from China,
some performance artist's shedding blood, after that i was expecting
self-immolation & immediately strayed off & went looking at older artworks
; )

> Korea-town in New Malden will be getting a visit this weekend...... anyone
> know the best and biggest Korean supermarket in the area?

Sorry no but i can ask.

DC.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
kalanamak

William LACK wrote:
> I am looking for a nice earthenware Korean kimchi jar - looked all over the
> internet and can't find anyone who has them on an online store - and no
> Korean website sells them ( as far as I can tell )....
>
> I saw some recently that weren't for sale - mores the pity - they were
> really beautiful - deep chocolate brown unglazed!
>
> thanks

Where are you? There are two Korean markets in the south Puget Sound
that I've seen them in. I'm sure the Korean markets I've been to in the
Oakland area have them, too.
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
Jerry Avins

kalanamak wrote:
> William LACK wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a nice earthenware Korean kimchi jar - looked all
>> over the internet and can't find anyone who has them on an online
>> store - and no Korean website sells them ( as far as I can tell )....
>>
>> I saw some recently that weren't for sale - mores the pity - they
>> were really beautiful - deep chocolate brown unglazed!
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Where are you? There are two Korean markets in the south Puget Sound
> that I've seen them in. I'm sure the Korean markets I've been to in the
> Oakland area have them, too.

Welcome to the trap! It's nice to have company here. The OP is from the
UK, apparently near London.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.food.asian
William LACK

Sorry I should have said that I am in London

I went to New Malden to some of the small Korean supermarkets - no kimchi
jars at all - they must bring their personal jars over with them when they
are posted here!

The search goes on - remarkably not even ebay can help!
William Lack