David Downie

Default oyster sauce + MSG

Hi
I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when they
cook with oyster sauce?
What's the latest on MSG anyway.
David.

"David Downie" > wrote:
> Hi
> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
> they cook with oyster sauce?
> What's the latest on MSG anyway.

I generally eschew MSG. I'll have to check the ingredients in my Oyster
Sauce, which I use, albeit sparingly, in many dishes. Thanks for raising
the issue.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Peter Dy

"David Downie" > wrote in message
> Hi
> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when they
> cook with oyster sauce?

They do if there's MSG in it!

Look for a brand that says "Oyster Flavored Sauce" "Product of Kwangtung."
On the back label, it says "Sa Cheng Oyster Flavored Sauce." No MSG. I
think it's a very good oyster sauce.

> What's the latest on MSG anyway.

I haven't heard of anything new. Same old, same old. Do a search of this
group on Google, and you'll find plenty of flame-wars about MSG, if you're
interested in that.

Peter

David Downie

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
t...
>> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
>> they cook with oyster sauce?

> They do if there's MSG in it!
>
> Look for a brand that says "Oyster Flavored Sauce" "Product of Kwangtung."
> On the back label, it says "Sa Cheng Oyster Flavored Sauce." No MSG. I
> think it's a very good oyster sauce.

ok I'll have a look. It's called "Flavouring 261" or something.

>> What's the latest on MSG anyway.

> I haven't heard of anything new. Same old, same old. Do a search of this
> group on Google, and you'll find plenty of flame-wars about MSG, if you're
> interested in that.

Not really. I'm no expert, but I'd prefer my cooking to be natural, whatver
that means. I suppose if MSG was a sauce 1000 years old I'd be putting it in
by the tablespoon.

David Downie

> wrote in message
> "David Downie" > wrote:
>> Hi
>> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
>> they cook with oyster sauce?
>> What's the latest on MSG anyway.
>>

> I generally eschew MSG. I'll have to check the ingredients in my Oyster
> Sauce, which I use, albeit sparingly, in many dishes. Thanks for raising
> the issue.

yes, as I said in the other post, it was hidden in my list as flavour 261 or
something like that.

Peter Dy

"David Downie" > wrote in message

> "Peter Dy" > wrote in message
> t...
>>> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
>>> they cook with oyster sauce?

>> They do if there's MSG in it!
>>
>> Look for a brand that says "Oyster Flavored Sauce" "Product of
>> Kwangtung." On the back label, it says "Sa Cheng Oyster Flavored Sauce."
>> No MSG. I think it's a very good oyster sauce.

> ok I'll have a look. It's called "Flavouring 261" or something.

Hmmm. I've never heard of it being called "Flavoring 261." Do you have a
link for that?

I just looked at my bottle again, and it didn't say 261 on it (sometimes the
Chinese label gives more info than the English, but not in this case.)

I notice you spell "flavoring" funny, so maybe I should mention that the
oyster sauce without MSG I got was in the States. Though it's obviously
from Guangzhou. Oh--I see now that you're from Australia! Go to lots of
different stores, and I'm sure you'll find a brand that doesn't have MSG.
Look for PRC brands--with primitive-looking labels--as opposed to brands
from Hong Kong that look slick and modern.

>>> What's the latest on MSG anyway.

>> I haven't heard of anything new. Same old, same old. Do a search of
>> this group on Google, and you'll find plenty of flame-wars about MSG, if
>> you're interested in that.

> Not really. I'm no expert, but I'd prefer my cooking to be natural,
> whatver that means. I suppose if MSG was a sauce 1000 years old I'd be
> putting it in by the tablespoon.

OK. But MSG is indeed a lot older than one might think. I don't like
getting into arguments about it though...

Good luck in your search!

Peter

David Downie

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
> Hmmm. I've never heard of it being called "Flavoring 261." Do you have a
> link for that?

It says "Flavor Enhancer (621)" on it.

Here's a link http://tinyurl.com/49fsl

Peter Dy

"David Downie" > wrote in message

> "Peter Dy" > wrote in message
>> Hmmm. I've never heard of it being called "Flavoring 261." Do you have
>> a link for that?

> It says "Flavor Enhancer (621)" on it.
>
> Here's a link http://tinyurl.com/49fsl

Ah, thanks, David.

Like I said, it shouldn't be hard for you to find oyster sauce that doesn't
have MSG. Just look for PRC brands.

Peter

"Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)" > wrote:
> []
> 621 is Monosodium Glutamate
> 622 is Monopotassium Glutamate
> 623 is Calcium Glutamate

Thanks, Philippe. I'll look for them.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

James Silverton

David Downie wrote:
> Hi
> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG
> when
> they cook with oyster sauce?
> What's the latest on MSG anyway.
> David.

AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small quantities
of MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is a mainstay for
the low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat cream cheese does
not really come up to regular cream cheese on bagels but a small
amount of MSG helps!

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

ian

David Downie wrote:

> Hi
> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when they
> cook with oyster sauce?
> What's the latest on MSG anyway.
> David.

An article in the Washington Post this week on Pho said that almost all
Pho served in restaurants includes msg, and that in small quantities its
not harmful. The article included a Pho recipe, if you are interested.

Ian
David Downie

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small quantities of
> MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is a mainstay for the
> low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat cream cheese does not
> really come up to regular cream cheese on bagels but a small amount of MSG
> helps!

I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I don't get
any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the microwave or ordering
food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to put a manufactured "make food
taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and pat myself on the shoulder. But as I
said, if it was a sauce that was traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be
thinking twice.

David Downie

"ian" > wrote in message
> An article in the Washington Post this week on Pho said that almost all
> Pho served in restaurants includes msg, and that in small quantities its
> not harmful. The article included a Pho recipe, if you are interested.

Ah no thanks. Not a big Pho person.

James Silverton

David Downie wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>
>> AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small
>> quantities of MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is
>> mainstay for the low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat
>> cream cheese does not really come up to regular cream cheese on
>> bagels but a small amount of MSG helps!

> I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I
> don't get any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the
> microwave or ordering food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to
> put
> a manufactured "make food taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and
> pat
> myself on the shoulder. But as I said, if it was a sauce that was
> traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be thinking twice.

MSG is hardly a new "chemical"; the Japanese have been using it for a
very long time and it is derived from "natural" sources, I believe.

Jim.

Dan Logcher

James Silverton wrote:

> David Downie wrote:
>
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>
>>> AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small
>>> quantities of MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is a
>>> mainstay for the low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat
>>> cream cheese does not really come up to regular cream cheese on
>>> bagels but a small amount of MSG helps!

>> I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I
>> don't get any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the
>> microwave or ordering food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to put
>> a manufactured "make food taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and pat
>> myself on the shoulder. But as I said, if it was a sauce that was
>> traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be thinking twice.

> MSG is hardly a new "chemical"; the Japanese have been using it for a
> very long time and it is derived from "natural" sources, I believe.

It's been around for a while, and low and behold is made from seaweed,
among other things. http://www.foodsciencebureau.com.au/nutrit/msg.htm

--
Dan

hantoom

I use msg all the time what about it?

David Downie

"hantoom" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
>I use msg all the time what about it?

Well good luck to you. I just want to get it out of my oyster sauce, so when
I add oyster sauce to something that's what I'm adding. Not MSG.

Peter Dy

"David Downie" > wrote in message

> "hantoom" > wrote in message
> lkaboutcooking.com...
>>I use msg all the time what about it?

> Well good luck to you. I just want to get it out of my oyster sauce, so
> when I add oyster sauce to something that's what I'm adding. Not MSG.

And yet you've said several times that if it were "traditional," then you'd
use it. Well, it *is* traditional!

And I've said more than once that there are, indeed, great oyster sauces out
there without MSG. So, "Get yourself to an Asian store!!" is all I can say
at this point..

Peter

David Downie

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
. ..

> And yet you've said several times that if it were "traditional," then
> you'd use it. Well, it *is* traditional!

From what I've read it was extracted from seaweed by japanese eggheads in
1908. Nothing traditional about that. It's not a traditional part of thai
cooking from what I tell. It plays no part.

> And I've said more than once that there are, indeed, great oyster sauces
> out there without MSG. So, "Get yourself to an Asian store!!" is all I
> can say at this point..

Yes I will look for it next time I'm there.

Peter Dy

"David Downie" > wrote in message

> "Peter Dy" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>> And yet you've said several times that if it were "traditional," then
>> you'd use it. Well, it *is* traditional!

> From what I've read it was extracted from seaweed by japanese eggheads in
> 1908.

"Japanese eggheads?" What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Nothing traditional about that. It's not a traditional part of thai
> cooking from what I tell. It plays no part.

Everything traditional about it. Italy didn't have tomatoes until after
Columbus. So, are tomatoes not traditional in the Italian cuisine? What
year do you want to start with before calling things traditional?

I dunno. You're sounding like a troll.

Peter

Dan Logcher

hantoom wrote:
> I use msg all the time what about it?

Absolutely nothing.. so do I.

--
Dan
edspresso

"David Downie" > wrote in message

> "hantoom" > wrote in message
> lkaboutcooking.com...
> >I use msg all the time what about it?

> Well good luck to you. I just want to get it out of my oyster sauce, so

when
> I add oyster sauce to something that's what I'm adding. Not MSG.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to get the small amount of MSG out of
your oyster sauce? Are you one of those few people that have a reaction to
large amounts of MSG? That used to be known as the "Chinese Restaurant
Syndrome". For most people, however, it is no more of a dangerous
substance, monosodium glutamate, than the other sodium, sodium chloride.
Except for the fact that the press got a hold of it years ago, it is, like
NaCl, no more dangerous than any other flavoring, spice, or "chemical" like
salt or water.

Ed

David Downie

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
.. .

> "David Downie" > wrote in message
>> From what I've read it was extracted from seaweed by japanese eggheads in
>> 1908.

> "Japanese eggheads?" What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Japanese scientists. Not normal cooking practice.

> Nothing traditional about that. It's not a traditional part of thai
>> cooking from what I tell. It plays no part.

> Everything traditional about it. Italy didn't have tomatoes until after
> Columbus. So, are tomatoes not traditional in the Italian cuisine? What
> year do you want to start with before calling things traditional?
>
> I dunno. You're sounding like a troll.

Well, I'm more interest in thai stuff. And if Japanese scientists extracted
the stuff in 1908 of whever it was, and sometime after that I discovered it
had been added to my oyster sauce, then I wouldn't say that everything is
traditional about it.

As for the troll - mate, I couldn't be bothered even responding.; Call me
whatever you like.

David.

David Downie

"edspresso" > wrote in message

> Just out of curiosity, why do you want to get the small amount of MSG out
> of
> your oyster sauce?

hi, well I guess I just read "Flavour Enhancer (261)" on the side and
wondered what it was. I searched on the internet and found it was MSG. I was
surprised as I try and use natural stuff and not knowing a lot about MSG
searched on the net and asked about it on this newsgroup. I cook thai mostly
and go for traditional flavours when I can. As far as I can tell extracting
MSG and adding it to a dish is something fairly new, and I've also read bad
things (from a vietnamese chef) who said that if you add MSG to every dish
everything ends up tasting like MSG. I don't know if that's true or not.

Obviously its a bit of a sore point with people because a few have been
jumping down my throat.

To clarify, I don't care one bit what the readers here do with their time or
their cooking. Not one little bit. I just asked a question, that's all,
about my oyster sauce and whether having MSG in it was normal.

> Are you one of those few people that have a reaction to
> large amounts of MSG? That used to be known as the "Chinese Restaurant
> Syndrome".

No, I don't think so.

> For most people, however, it is no more of a dangerous
> substance, monosodium glutamate, than the other sodium, sodium chloride.
> Except for the fact that the press got a hold of it years ago, it is, like
> NaCl, no more dangerous than any other flavoring, spice, or "chemical"
> like
> salt or water.

And what do you think it does to the food? How does it change the taste?

Daviid.

"David Downie" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> And what do you think it does to the food? How does it change the taste?

MSG is a flavour enhancing substance which occurs naturally in some foods
such as mushrooms, tomatoes, kelp and soy sauce. It is also made from wheat
or from glutamic acid recovered from sugar beet molasses. While it has very
little taste of its own, when added to foods it acts as a catalyst to bring
out other flavours by stimulating taste buds and increasing saliva in the
mouth.

In Japan it is known as aji-no-moto, in China as ve-tsin

If it's not used in Thai cooking, why does Aji-no-moto have 3 plants there?

Thailand: Ajinomoto Co., (Thailand) Ltd., Pathum Thani Factory

Ajinomoto Co., (Thailand) Ltd., Phra Pradaeng Factory /

Ajinomoto Co., (Thailand) Ltd., Kamphaeng Phet Factory /

Most recipes call for only a pinch of MSG. Not enough to add its own
flavor, as with salt, (although it does have a flavor of its own if used in
sufficient quantity . . . similar to KCl IIRC) but only enough to catalyze
our receptors.

My 2 satangs.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

David Downie

> wrote in message
> If it's not used in Thai cooking, why does Aji-no-moto have 3 plants
> there?

Well it's probably used in thai cooking *now*, just as that maggi sauce is.
Doesn't mean I am going to be using either.

But good luck to anyone who uses it and has their receptors catalysed.

"David Downie" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > If it's not used in Thai cooking, why does Aji-no-moto have 3 plants
> > there?

> Well it's probably used in thai cooking *now*, just as that maggi sauce
> is. Doesn't mean I am going to be using either.
>
> But good luck to anyone who uses it and has their receptors catalysed.

Arai godai.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

mroo philpott-smythe

"James Silverton" > wrote in
:

> David Downie wrote:
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>
>>> AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small
>>> quantities of MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is
>>> mainstay for the low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat
>>> cream cheese does not really come up to regular cream cheese on
>>> bagels but a small amount of MSG helps!

>> I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I
>> don't get any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the
>> microwave or ordering food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to
>> put
>> a manufactured "make food taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and
>> pat
>> myself on the shoulder. But as I said, if it was a sauce that was
>> traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be thinking twice.

> MSG is hardly a new "chemical"; the Japanese have been using it for a
> very long time and it is derived from "natural" sources, I believe.

Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it ain't bad for you.

Arsenic is natural too, and found in the groundwater in many countries,
and is a known carcinogen.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"James Silverton" > wrote in
:

> David Downie wrote:
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>
>>> AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small
>>> quantities of MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is
>>> mainstay for the low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat
>>> cream cheese does not really come up to regular cream cheese on
>>> bagels but a small amount of MSG helps!

>> I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I
>> don't get any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the
>> microwave or ordering food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to
>> put
>> a manufactured "make food taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and
>> pat
>> myself on the shoulder. But as I said, if it was a sauce that was
>> traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be thinking twice.

> MSG is hardly a new "chemical"; the Japanese have been using it for a
> very long time and it is derived from "natural" sources, I believe.

Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it ain't bad for you.

Arsenic is natural too, and found in the groundwater in many countries,
and is a known carcinogen.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

ian > wrote in news:BoVPd.25868$Vg3.25192@lakeread05:

> David Downie wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
>> they cook with oyster sauce?
>> What's the latest on MSG anyway.
>> David.
>>

> An article in the Washington Post this week on Pho said that almost
> all Pho served in restaurants includes msg, and that in small
> quantities its not harmful. The article included a Pho recipe, if you
> are interested.

Very interested, thanks. I have a recipe from Charles Phan of Slanted Door,
but would love to have another, or many more.

Thanks!

sq

mroo philpott-smythe

ian > wrote in news:BoVPd.25868$Vg3.25192@lakeread05:

> David Downie wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when
>> they cook with oyster sauce?
>> What's the latest on MSG anyway.
>> David.
>>

> An article in the Washington Post this week on Pho said that almost
> all Pho served in restaurants includes msg, and that in small
> quantities its not harmful. The article included a Pho recipe, if you
> are interested.

Very interested, thanks. I have a recipe from Charles Phan of Slanted Door,
but would love to have another, or many more.

Thanks!

sq
James Silverton

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> :
>
>> David Downie wrote:

>>> I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I
>>> don't get any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the
>>> microwave or ordering food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to
>>> put
>>> a manufactured "make food taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and
>>> pat
>>> myself on the shoulder. But as I said, if it was a sauce that was
>>> traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be thinking twice.

>> MSG is hardly a new "chemical"; the Japanese have been using it for
>> very long time and it is derived from "natural" sources, I believe.

> Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it ain't bad for you.
>
> Arsenic is natural too, and found in the groundwater in many
> countries, and is a known carcinogen.
>
> sq

I quite agree with you that natural does not necessarily indicate
beneficial. I was just responding to the phrase "manufactured pixie
dust" to descibe MSG. Organic does not necessarily mean good either.
In my experience, organic celery, not having to have the "nasty
chemicals" washed off, usually has quantities of organic soil
attached, perhaps to prove its origin (g).

I was trained as a chemist and one of the things I investigated was
the reason why one of the very close-to-nature Amazonian tribes had a
high incidence of stomach cancer. It turned out that a traditional
throat lotion, derived from a local tree, was a potent carcinogen.
Strychnine is also a natural product from South America.

Jim.

Tippi

David Downie wrote:

> (from a vietnamese chef) who said that if you add MSG to every dish
> everything ends up tasting like MSG. I don't know if that's true or

not.

You can't "taste" MSG, it augments the flavour of the dish that it is
being added to. Sometimes when we eat out and the dish tastes
suspiciously intense we would surmise that MSG has been added. The
worst it can do taste-wise is over stimulate your taste buds so you get
addicted to it. It does makes me thirsty afterwards however.

> whether having MSG in it was normal.

it is "normal" in the sense that many commercial stuff contain it now.
If you don't have a reaction to it, I would suggest not to worry about
it. You should be more worried about things like chemical preservations
e.g. BHT and BHA which "may" be carcinogenic.

James Silverton

Bubbabob wrote:
> "Tippi" > wrote:
>
>> You can't "taste" MSG.

> I can.

I guess the subject of tasting is covered by "De gustibus non est
disputandum" but, tho' I am in the pro-MSG (aji-no-moto) camp, I agree
that you *can* taste pure MSG. To me it is slightly salty and produces
a rather indescribable appetizing sensation if a crystal or two are
placed on the tongue; strangely enough after a small time lag.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

James Silverton

Bubbabob wrote:
> "Tippi" > wrote:
>
>> You can't "taste" MSG.

> I can.

I guess the subject of tasting is covered by "De gustibus non est
disputandum" but, tho' I am in the pro-MSG (aji-no-moto) camp, I agree
that you *can* taste pure MSG. To me it is slightly salty and produces
a rather indescribable appetizing sensation if a crystal or two are
placed on the tongue; strangely enough after a small time lag.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

mroo philpott-smythe

"James Silverton" > wrote in
:
> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

>> Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it ain't bad for you.

>> Arsenic is natural too, and found in the groundwater in many
>> countries, and is a known carcinogen.

> I quite agree with you that natural does not necessarily indicate
> beneficial. I was just responding to the phrase "manufactured pixie
> dust" to descibe MSG. Organic does not necessarily mean good either.
> In my experience, organic celery, not having to have the "nasty
> chemicals" washed off, usually has quantities of organic soil
> attached, perhaps to prove its origin (g).

> I was trained as a chemist and one of the things I investigated was
> the reason why one of the very close-to-nature Amazonian tribes had a
> high incidence of stomach cancer. It turned out that a traditional
> throat lotion, derived from a local tree, was a potent carcinogen.
> Strychnine is also a natural product from South America.

%^)

Interestingly enough, in Northern China, the diet in the winter tends to
comprise salted vegetables (like cabbage), salted meats, and wheat, in
various forms. The combination yields nitrosamines, a precursor
carcinogen. The PRC has developed a medication, based on local herbs,
which they call "Anti-Cancer B" used to treat the high incidence of
throat and stomach cancers in the region.

Apparently, they have an amazingly high success rate.

sq
Bigbazza

"David Downie" > wrote in message

> "edspresso" > wrote in message
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, why do you want to get the small amount of MSG out
>> of
>> your oyster sauce?

> hi, well I guess I just read "Flavour Enhancer (261)" on the side and
> wondered what it was. I searched on the internet and found it was MSG. I
> was surprised as I try and use natural stuff and not knowing a lot about
> MSG searched on the net and asked about it on this newsgroup. I cook thai
> mostly and go for traditional flavours when I can. As far as I can tell
> extracting MSG and adding it to a dish is something fairly new, and I've
> also read bad things (from a vietnamese chef) who said that if you add MSG
> to every dish everything ends up tasting like MSG. I don't know if that's
> true or not.

(Snipped for Brevity......)

> Daviid.

Well...My 'Aussie' Friend....Just a 'slight correction is need......Have you
noticed that you said MSG was (261)....Wrong ! ..It is (621)....:-) You
obviously know you have put the No. the wrong way....

--
Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz

Bigbazza

"David Downie" > wrote in message

> "edspresso" > wrote in message
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, why do you want to get the small amount of MSG out
>> of
>> your oyster sauce?

Sorry ..David...I also wanted to comment on MSG as well :-))....It effects
my Older Daughter...She knows when she has 'inadvertently had some !...Also
in her Kids as well....She gets very sick and brings up her food...But
I.'personally' do not get any reactions when I have it..Only thing I find is
I am very thirsty after having it !..The Oyster sauce I use has MSG in
it...I am not talking about it...It is when it is 'incorporated' into the
food 'Neat' whilst cooking the dish...Some Chinese Restaurants use it ...but
a lot do not..because of the fact that it can effect 'some' people...I also
know that if one is an 'Asthmatic' it can bring on an attack..(only in some
though !)

--
Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz

Jens Müller

"David Downie" > writes:

> I found out my oyster sauce has MSG in it. Does everyone use MSG when they
> cook with oyster sauce?
> What's the latest on MSG anyway.

Well, a friend of mine has an allergy against MSG. Luckily she checked
the bottle when we prepared the other the other ingredients, and had
to improvise a bit ... I myself have no problems with it ...
--
http://blog.tessarakt.de/archiv/2005...m-vom-thierse/
http://blog.tessarakt.de/archiv/2005...fr-diktaturen/
Joseph Michael Bay

"David Downie" > writes:

>"James Silverton" > wrote in message

>> AFAIK, there is no really creditable information that small quantities of
>> MSG are harmful, However, I'm prejudiced since it is a mainstay for the
>> low or no fat cooking that I go in for! Non-fat cream cheese does not
>> really come up to regular cream cheese on bagels but a small amount of MSG
>> helps!

>I'm not worried about harm, more about cooking from real food. I don't get
>any cooking pleasure out of putting a TV dinner in the microwave or ordering
>food from a menu. Similarly I don't want to put a manufactured "make food
>taste good" pixie dust on my meals, and pat myself on the shoulder. But as I
>said, if it was a sauce that was traditionally used I guess I wouldn't be
>thinking twice.

MSG tastes good because of the free glutamate. Free glutamate abounds
in tasty foods like tomatoes, stocks, soy sauce, mushrooms, and cheese.
It's a component of foods that people have cooked for centuries.

--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology