Default An Abundancy of Chilis

I'm still working on the list of Thai hot stuff recipes. Meanwhile, I
thought you might find inspiration somewhere here. Substitutions are
encouraged!

Fresh, dry, paste, pickled, sauce, flakes, are but variations on a theme.

Korean Jalapeno Peppers (From Misuk A Korean Friend)

2 Cups Vinegar
1 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Cup Brown Sugar

Bring to boil, pour over peppers. Close lid and eat in about 2 weeks.

***********************

SQ's Onion Jam

10 sweet red Italian onions
3 hot Thai chillies
1 Tbsp dark brown palm sugar (gula Melaka, gula Djawa, or Jaggery)
1.5 tsp hot red chilli powder
20 pitted Medjool dates
~5 lemons
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
~3 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil

Halve the onions and slice in "angel wings" (lengthwise) thinly. Juice and
zest the lemons. Thinly slice the chillies. Cover dates with boiling water
for about 10 minutes, then process dates and water to a smooth liquid.
Slice lemon zest in thin shreds.

Heat the oil on high, add the onions, stir once, cover, and cook for about
10 minutes. Uncover, stir, and cook covered about 10 minutes more (check it
every five minutes to be sure nothing is burning or stuck to the bottom of
the pan). Add salt to taste, cover, and cook 10 minutes more. Add ground
cumin and coriander, stir to mix, and cook covered about 10 minutes more or
until the onions have caramelized and the liquid has mostly evaporated. Add
sugar, stir, add red chilli powder, stir, add lemon juice, stir, breaking
up the onions with a wooden spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add dates
and water, stir, and cook about 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings again, if
needed, and serve, sprinkled with lemon zest.

You should have about four cups of a thick, rich, sweet, hot, and tangy
jammy substance. Yum!

Wonderful with a bitter fish curry over brown rice, or methi thepla (bread
cooked with bitter herbs). Yum!

***************************

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1tbsp brown sugar
2tsp kosher salt
1/4tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
Tabasco Sauce to taste

*******************************

Bill's Spicy and Tangy BBQ Sauce

This sauce is great for pulled pork sandwiches.
Ingredients

* 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
* 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
* 1/2 cup turbinado raw or dark brown sugar
* 1/4 cup yellow mustard
* 1 cup ketchup
* 1/2 cup white vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon habanero hot sauce* -- to taste

* I use one called "Hotter Than Hell Hot Sauce"
Preparation

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a slow boil.

Whisk well to mix in the mustard.

Simmer for 15 minutes.

***************************

Asian-Style Hoisin Barbecue Sauce

This sauce is good on shrimp, pork and chicken, whenever you want to have
an Asian-style flavor. Ingredients

* 1 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
* 1 tablespoon Asian hot chili sauce
* 1/4 cup plum wine
* 1 teaspoon garlic puree
* 1 tablespoon ginger powder
* 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

Preparation
Combine ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from
heat and cool.

Hoisin sauce is available in the Asian section of supermarkets. The chile
sauce I like best comes in a clear plastic squeeze bottle with a rooster on
the label and called Tuong Ot Sriracha.

********************************

Kansas City - Style Sauce
Recipe By : Paul Kirk - modified slightly by Bill Wight

This sauce is good on just about anything, even gives Spam a real kick.
This is my stock barbecue sauce. Ingredients

* 1 cup light brown sugar -- packed
* 3 tablespoons mild chile powder
* 1 tablespoon dry mustard
* 1 1/4 teaspoons ginger -- ground
* 3/4 teaspoon allspice -- ground
* 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/3 teaspoon mace -- ground
* 1/3 teaspoon black pepper -- freshly ground
* 1 1/4 cups white distilled vinegar
* 1/3 cup molasses
* 40 ounces ketchup

Preparation

In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, chili seasoning, mustard,
ginger, allspice, cayenne, mace, and black pepper. Add the vinegar,
molasses, water, and liquid smoke, if using. Stir until dry ingredients are
dissolved. Add the ketchup and stir to mix.

Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly to avoid spattering.
Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

Let stand in refrigerator 24 hours before using.

Store in refrigerator for up to 2 months.

Bill's notes: I have made this sauce many times and I have found that it
always tastes a little 'metallic' at the time I make it. After 24 hours in
the refrigerator, it has mellowed and tastes great.

*******************************

Eastern North Carolina Pulled Pork Barbecue Finishing Sauce
This sauce is for North Carolina Pulled Pork sandwiches. There is also a
Western North Carolina variety which includes catsup, but for my money this
is the best barbecue sandwich in all the South. print it!
3/4 C White vinegar
2 TBL Louisiana hot sauce
1 TBL Brown sugar
1 TBL Sugar
1 TBL Kosher salt
1 TSP Crushed red pepper flakes
1 TSP Fresh-ground black pepper
1/2 TSP Cayenne pepper
1. Whisk well, add to roasted, chopped, or pulled pork to taste.

***********************************

1-tbsp vegetable oil
2-onions, finely chopped
6-cloves garlic, minced
1-tbsp chili powder
1-tsp cracked black peppercorns
1-cup tomato based chili sauce
¼-cup packed brown sugar
¼-cup cider vinegar
1-tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1-tsp liquid smoke
1-3lb boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed of excess fat
Large Kaiser buns

In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat
Add onions and cook until soft
Add garlic, chili powder, and pepper
Cook, stirring for 1 minute
Add the chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire and liquid smoke
Stir to combine and bring to a boil
Place pork in slow cooker and pour sauce over
Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 6 hours until pork is
falling apart Transfer the pork to a cutting board
With two forks, start pulling the pork apart until it is shredded
Return to sauce and keep warm until ready to serve
Spoon shredded pork and sauce over buns

************************************

MID-SOUTH CAROLINA MUSTARD SAUCE

1c cider vinegar
6T Dijon mustard
2T maple syrup or honey
4tsp Worcestershire sauce
1tsp hot red pepper sauce
1c vegetable oil
2tsp salt
Ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl

***************************

Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce:

1 ½ cups cider vinegar
1 cup yellow or brown mustard
1 cup ketchup
½ cup packed brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cayenne (or more to taste)
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer gently,
stirring, for 15-20 minutes until the sugar dissolves and it is somewhat
thickened.

***************************

FOSCO'S FAMOUS ALABAMA STYLE SAUCE
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1tbsp brown sugar
2tsp kosher salt
1/4tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground mustard powder
worcestershire

Put it all in a Mason jar and shake it up really well. Allow to set for 15
minutes before using.

***************************

Fosco's Adobo Sauce

10-whole chipotle peppers (smoked, dried jalapeno peppers)
1/3-cup onion, diced
5-tbsp cider vinegar
2-cloves garlic, sliced
4-tbsp ketchup
3-cups water
¼-tsp cumin
½-tsp oregano
½-tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a pan
Cover and cook over a very low heat for 1-2 hours until the chiles are very
soft and the liquid has been reduced to about 1-cup
Will keep several weeks in the fridge in an airtight container

NOTE: Put in blender and process for a thick sauce

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/
For info on a free (you pay only postage) herbal AIDS remedy, write to:
Scet

> [...]

> 2-cloves garlic, sliced
> 4-tbsp ketchup
> 3-cups water
> ¼-tsp cumin
> ½-tsp oregano
> ½-tsp salt
>
> Combine all ingredients in a pan
> Cover and cook over a very low heat for 1-2 hours until the chiles are

very
> soft and the liquid has been reduced to about 1-cup
> Will keep several weeks in the fridge in an airtight container
>
> NOTE: Put in blender and process for a thick sauce
>
> --
> Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/
> For info on a free (you pay only postage) herbal AIDS remedy, write to:
> PO Box 9, Wichian Buri, Petchabun, 67130 Thailand. Enclose a

self-addressed
> (including country) envelope and $1 or equivalent for return postage.

Thanks very much Nick.

Scet

Chilis or Chi-Chi's in Media, PA Andy[_15_] General Cooking 4 17-06-2009 04:36 AM
Poblano chilis Laura Friesen Mexican Cooking 7 26-07-2005 03:57 AM
Green chilis biig General Cooking 24 23-04-2005 01:08 PM
Abundance of chilis Scet Asian Cooking 0 18-01-2005 11:00 AM
Abundance of chilis Scet General Cooking 0 18-01-2005 11:00 AM