KR

Default Speaking of creativity: chinese crullers

I really like fried chinese crullers, so far really just eating them
plain.
I've heard that they make a good breakfast in combination with soy
milk and seasonings, but so far the most definitive set of
instructions I've seen was in a gardenweb.com post which has since
dissappeared (that's one advantage of usenet, posts don't arbitrarily
"time out" at a sysadmin's whim). At the time, I had the strong
impression that the person who wrote the instructions was making it up
as she went along - pulling it out of an orifice, so to speak.
(Someone on the web site asked about how to prepare cruller w/
soymilk, and the respondent started off with words to this effect: "I
don't really know what you're talking about, but I'm guessing it goes
something like this...")

So, anyone with info on "what to do", ie. how to work the magic
combination of cruller and soymilk, and what if any additional
seasonings to add and when, please speak up! :-)

Best - krnntp
Peter Dy

"KR" > wrote in message
om...
>I really like fried chinese crullers, so far really just eating them
> plain.

I call them yóu tiáo, even in English. I don't even know what a "cruller"
is. Sounds like they live in a stream or something.

> I've heard that they make a good breakfast in combination with soy
> milk and seasonings, but so far the most definitive set of
> instructions I've seen was in a gardenweb.com post which has since
> dissappeared (that's one advantage of usenet, posts don't arbitrarily
> "time out" at a sysadmin's whim). At the time, I had the strong
> impression that the person who wrote the instructions was making it up
> as she went along - pulling it out of an orifice, so to speak.
> (Someone on the web site asked about how to prepare cruller w/
> soymilk, and the respondent started off with words to this effect: "I
> don't really know what you're talking about, but I'm guessing it goes
> something like this...")
>
> So, anyone with info on "what to do", ie. how to work the magic
> combination of cruller and soymilk, and what if any additional
> seasonings to add and when, please speak up! :-)

Yan-Kit So has a recipe for it in her _Classic Food of China_.

She says make soy milk as usual, except use a bit less water when blending
it with the soaked beans (2 cups water to 1 cup soaked beans) to get a
thicker soy milk. Then simply season with salt, soy sauce, chopped dried
shrimp, rice vinegar, chopped scallions and hot chili oil. (For each cup of
milk, use 1/8 tsp salt, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp rice vinegar, 1 tsp chopped
dried shrimp, and 1 tsp chopped scallions.) She doesn't mention you tiao,
so I'm not sure if those seasonings are the perfect match, but it sounds
good!

You tiao are great with zhou (rice congee) too, btw.

Peter

Peter Dy

"KR" > wrote in message
om...
>I really like fried chinese crullers, so far really just eating them
> plain.

I call them yóu tiáo, even in English. I don't even know what a "cruller"
is. Sounds like they live in a stream or something.

> I've heard that they make a good breakfast in combination with soy
> milk and seasonings, but so far the most definitive set of
> instructions I've seen was in a gardenweb.com post which has since
> dissappeared (that's one advantage of usenet, posts don't arbitrarily
> "time out" at a sysadmin's whim). At the time, I had the strong
> impression that the person who wrote the instructions was making it up
> as she went along - pulling it out of an orifice, so to speak.
> (Someone on the web site asked about how to prepare cruller w/
> soymilk, and the respondent started off with words to this effect: "I
> don't really know what you're talking about, but I'm guessing it goes
> something like this...")
>
> So, anyone with info on "what to do", ie. how to work the magic
> combination of cruller and soymilk, and what if any additional
> seasonings to add and when, please speak up! :-)

Yan-Kit So has a recipe for it in her _Classic Food of China_.

She says make soy milk as usual, except use a bit less water when blending
it with the soaked beans (2 cups water to 1 cup soaked beans) to get a
thicker soy milk. Then simply season with salt, soy sauce, chopped dried
shrimp, rice vinegar, chopped scallions and hot chili oil. (For each cup of
milk, use 1/8 tsp salt, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp rice vinegar, 1 tsp chopped
dried shrimp, and 1 tsp chopped scallions.) She doesn't mention you tiao,
so I'm not sure if those seasonings are the perfect match, but it sounds
good!

You tiao are great with zhou (rice congee) too, btw.

Peter

DC.

Hi krnntp,

I don't understand either... i assume you mean eating ready fried
crullers/YaoCharKwai with soya milk & seasonings? well i've never heard of
it eaten like that before. But i guess to each his/her own. Traditionally
crullers/YaoCharKwai are eaten with congee/Jook/rice porridge etc. or even
cut up & put into salads(rojak) in Malaysia, or as a filling in Chinese
dimsum (cheongfun) etc.

If on the other hand you meant making crullers/YaoCharKwai using soya milk &
seasoning etc.. i guess it might work. It'll be replacing water with soya
milk in the dough mixture etc. But i seem to recall a posting here by a
regular (steve maybe? or someone else) a few years ago warning that eating
too much of it ain't good as it contains some 'metallic based mineral' used
as the rising agent or something in the dough. I only eat it occasionally.

Hmmm... eating crullers/YaoCharKwai + soya milk.. doesn't that sound like
rice crispies & milk kind of meal ; ) maybe that's what she was reffering
too. Ohh... hang on, OK krnntp, this isn't going to help but when we're in
Spain, we always like going out to the street corners looking for the old
Churros vendor. This is Spain's version of deep fried dough stick snack &
usually eaten at breakfast. OK first of all it's a little smaller &
sometimes it's shaped like... a horse shoe but with the 2 ends brought
together. After frying, it is either sprinkle over with sugar or you dunk it
into 'artificially' thicken hot chocolate. I don't know what they do to the
chocolate but it's extremely thick, maybe they add flour or cornflour etc. I
don't really like it so we just dunk it in our coffee like many others. Hope
this helps... or not. By the way.. in Spain, people drink something called
Horchata made from tiger nuts/chufas & is very similar to soya milk. Do a
google search on Churros & Horchata if you want to find out more.

DC.

"KR" > wrote in message
om...
> I really like fried chinese crullers, so far really just eating them
> plain.
> I've heard that they make a good breakfast in combination with soy
> milk and seasonings, but so far the most definitive set of
> instructions I've seen was in a gardenweb.com post which has since
> dissappeared (that's one advantage of usenet, posts don't arbitrarily
> "time out" at a sysadmin's whim). At the time, I had the strong
> impression that the person who wrote the instructions was making it up
> as she went along - pulling it out of an orifice, so to speak.
> (Someone on the web site asked about how to prepare cruller w/
> soymilk, and the respondent started off with words to this effect: "I
> don't really know what you're talking about, but I'm guessing it goes
> something like this...")
>
> So, anyone with info on "what to do", ie. how to work the magic
> combination of cruller and soymilk, and what if any additional
> seasonings to add and when, please speak up! :-)
>
> Best - krnntp

Peter Dy

"DC." > wrote in message
> Hi krnntp,
>
> I don't understand either... i assume you mean eating ready fried
> crullers/YaoCharKwai with soya milk & seasonings? well i've never heard of
> it eaten like that before. But i guess to each his/her own.

You tiao are eaten with savory soy milk, though. I didn't mention it
because I haven't personally seen it, but I've heard of it. It's a Northern
thing, I believe. I recall my sis mentioning it. Also, my Taiwanese
Wei-Chuan cookbook, _Chinese Snacks_, includes it, now that I looked. It
has a picture too. It says:

Place the cripsy Chinese crullers [crullers!], dried shrimp, Sichuan pickled
mustard greens, green onions, coriander, pork sung [drid pork floss],
vinegar, chili oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt in medium size bowl.
Pour the boil [sic] soybean milk injto the bowl and serve.

Peter

PS. I need to find another Taiwanese (or PRC) girlfriend again--it'd make
things so much more easier... Wouldn't have to call my sis to ask about such
things.

Peter Dy

"DC." > wrote in message
> Hi krnntp,
>
> I don't understand either... i assume you mean eating ready fried
> crullers/YaoCharKwai with soya milk & seasonings? well i've never heard of
> it eaten like that before. But i guess to each his/her own.

You tiao are eaten with savory soy milk, though. I didn't mention it
because I haven't personally seen it, but I've heard of it. It's a Northern
thing, I believe. I recall my sis mentioning it. Also, my Taiwanese
Wei-Chuan cookbook, _Chinese Snacks_, includes it, now that I looked. It
has a picture too. It says:

Place the cripsy Chinese crullers [crullers!], dried shrimp, Sichuan pickled
mustard greens, green onions, coriander, pork sung [drid pork floss],
vinegar, chili oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt in medium size bowl.
Pour the boil [sic] soybean milk injto the bowl and serve.

Peter

PS. I need to find another Taiwanese (or PRC) girlfriend again--it'd make
things so much more easier... Wouldn't have to call my sis to ask about such
things.

DC.

thanks Peter, i never knew about You-tiao(mandarin for crullers) being eaten
like you say... Ah Hell, i'm a southern boy from the backwaters... what do i
know LOL. I second that about getting youself a Tawainese girlfriend or
maybe someone from Shanghai, i hear they have even better cuisine there!
Funny thing though... i've always associated soya milk to be sweet & even a
dessert as in TaoFuFa(Cantonese) or DouFuHwa(Mandarin) but having it savoury
with chilli oil etc... hmmm, i might have to go try it as i've got some pork
floss to get rid off. Thanks Pete!

DC.

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
m...

> "DC." > wrote in message
> > Hi krnntp,
> >
> > I don't understand either... i assume you mean eating ready fried
> > crullers/YaoCharKwai with soya milk & seasonings? well i've never heard

of
> > it eaten like that before. But i guess to each his/her own.

> You tiao are eaten with savory soy milk, though. I didn't mention it
> because I haven't personally seen it, but I've heard of it. It's a

Northern
> thing, I believe. I recall my sis mentioning it. Also, my Taiwanese
> Wei-Chuan cookbook, _Chinese Snacks_, includes it, now that I looked. It
> has a picture too. It says:
>
> Place the cripsy Chinese crullers [crullers!], dried shrimp, Sichuan

pickled
> mustard greens, green onions, coriander, pork sung [drid pork floss],
> vinegar, chili oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt in medium size bowl.
> Pour the boil [sic] soybean milk injto the bowl and serve.
>
> Peter
>
> PS. I need to find another Taiwanese (or PRC) girlfriend again--it'd make
> things so much more easier... Wouldn't have to call my sis to ask about

such
> things.

DC.

Here's a recipe one of my fellow NG'ers from the UK Chinese food found -
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blrecipe215.htm

hope this helps... & thanks for highlighting this interesting dish.

DC.

"KR" > wrote in message
om...
> I really like fried chinese crullers, so far really just eating them
> plain.
> I've heard that they make a good breakfast in combination with soy
> milk and seasonings, but so far the most definitive set of
> instructions I've seen was in a gardenweb.com post which has since
> dissappeared (that's one advantage of usenet, posts don't arbitrarily
> "time out" at a sysadmin's whim). At the time, I had the strong
> impression that the person who wrote the instructions was making it up
> as she went along - pulling it out of an orifice, so to speak.
> (Someone on the web site asked about how to prepare cruller w/
> soymilk, and the respondent started off with words to this effect: "I
> don't really know what you're talking about, but I'm guessing it goes
> something like this...")
>
> So, anyone with info on "what to do", ie. how to work the magic
> combination of cruller and soymilk, and what if any additional
> seasonings to add and when, please speak up! :-)
>
> Best - krnntp

DC.

Here's a recipe one of my fellow NG'ers from the UK Chinese food found -
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blrecipe215.htm

hope this helps... & thanks for highlighting this interesting dish.

DC.

"KR" > wrote in message
om...
> I really like fried chinese crullers, so far really just eating them
> plain.
> I've heard that they make a good breakfast in combination with soy
> milk and seasonings, but so far the most definitive set of
> instructions I've seen was in a gardenweb.com post which has since
> dissappeared (that's one advantage of usenet, posts don't arbitrarily
> "time out" at a sysadmin's whim). At the time, I had the strong
> impression that the person who wrote the instructions was making it up
> as she went along - pulling it out of an orifice, so to speak.
> (Someone on the web site asked about how to prepare cruller w/
> soymilk, and the respondent started off with words to this effect: "I
> don't really know what you're talking about, but I'm guessing it goes
> something like this...")
>
> So, anyone with info on "what to do", ie. how to work the magic
> combination of cruller and soymilk, and what if any additional
> seasonings to add and when, please speak up! :-)
>
> Best - krnntp

Peter Dy

"DC." > wrote in message
OK krnntp, this isn't going to help but when we're in
> Spain, we always like going out to the street corners looking for the old
> Churros vendor. This is Spain's version of deep fried dough stick snack &
> usually eaten at breakfast. OK first of all it's a little smaller &
> sometimes it's shaped like... a horse shoe but with the 2 ends brought
> together. After frying, it is either sprinkle over with sugar or you dunk
> it
> into 'artificially' thicken hot chocolate. I don't know what they do to
> the
> chocolate but it's extremely thick, maybe they add flour or cornflour etc.
> don't really like it so we just dunk it in our coffee like many others.
> Hope
> this helps... or not. By the way.. in Spain, people drink something called
> Horchata made from tiger nuts/chufas & is very similar to soya milk. Do a
> google search on Churros & Horchata if you want to find out more.

Mexicans also eat churros, so I'm guessing KR knows about them from Mexican
places here in the States. (Although, in Cleveland? Have things changed
there? Are there more paisanos in Cuyahoga County now? I know there are a
lot more Koreans and Indians.)

Mexicans also drink horchata, and I'm actually sorta surprised to hear that
Spaniards drink it too. What are "tiger nuts," by the way? In Mexico, they
are water-based drinks thickened slightly with ground rice or nuts. In
Oaxaca, there is a vast repertoire of various horchatas--it's almost an art
form, flavored with all kinds of fruits and nuts. You are right
though--plain horchata is a lot like soya milk.

As for the thick hot chocolate. I've never been to Spain, so I don't know
how it is done there. But in the Bikol province of the Philippines, for
breakfast and as snacks, we dip binutong (glutinous rice seasoned with
coconut milk and steamed in a banana leaf wrapper) into thick hot chocolate.
The chocolate is prepared with freshly-roasted cacao beans that are ground
and mixed up with water and sugar (or at least that is how it used to be
made). We got this, of course, from the Mexicans, as that is where
chocolate comes from. It's really only in Oaxaca that that ancient
chocolate culture can still be seen in Mexico--we can buy Mexican chocolate
in the US, but not Oaxacan chocolate. They grind roasted cacao beans with
sugar, cinammon, and almonds. They then heat that up with water and froth
it up with a wooden frother called a molinillo. The interesting thing is
that this was how hot chocolate was drunk in Spain, in Italy, in France--
all over Europe--until the invention of cacao powder, in the early 1800s, I
believe. So, in other words, the French were also roasting cacao beans,
grinding them, and then frothing them up with lots of different spices in a
chocolatière with a molinillo. Here's a really beautiful set of molinillo
and chocolatière that I just found on the web.

http://www.artsmia.org/modernism/ima...ool.cfm?oid=55

The Oaxacan hot chocolate is not as thick as that in the Philippines--not
sure why. In that way, I guess the Philippines is more like Spain. But
it's not due to any thickening agents--I brought home several kilos of
Oaxacan chocolate and if I wanted, I could easily make a wonderful, thick
brew by just adding less water. I think it is because we are not dealing
with cacao powder, but with freshly ground beans that include the beans'
natural oils and fats.

I took a photo of some of the chocolate mills in Oaxaca. I'll try to post it
now for you, DC, over on alt.food.binaries.

Peter

Peter Dy

"DC." > wrote in message
> [...]

grinding them, and then frothing them up with lots of different spices in a
chocolatière with a molinillo. Here's a really beautiful set of molinillo
and chocolatière that I just found on the web.

http://www.artsmia.org/modernism/ima...ool.cfm?oid=55

The Oaxacan hot chocolate is not as thick as that in the Philippines--not
sure why. In that way, I guess the Philippines is more like Spain. But
it's not due to any thickening agents--I brought home several kilos of
Oaxacan chocolate and if I wanted, I could easily make a wonderful, thick
brew by just adding less water. I think it is because we are not dealing
with cacao powder, but with freshly ground beans that include the beans'
natural oils and fats.

I took a photo of some of the chocolate mills in Oaxaca. I'll try to post it
now for you, DC, over on alt.food.binaries.

DC.

Hi Peter,

I believe the Horchata in Mehico & that part of the world were introduced by
the Spaniards. In Southern Spain & the agricultural region of Valencia is
where you'll find tiger nuts or chufas. It's a traditional drink but not
many people drink it these days, you'll see it in fairgrounds or at the kids
stands at fiestas next to the Helados/Ice cream etc. but generally people &
kids buy all the new healthy diet stuff like yogurt etc. I even had a
Spanish woman asking me about soya milk etc. saying how great & healthy it
is etc. I said what about Horchata... she said it's some kind of old drink
that they use to drink in the old days when they couldn't get milk etc. Then
i told her how similar the 2 were & that maybe she should look into it. I
also hear that the Mexicans use rice, almonds & other stuff to substitute
for tigernuts in their Horchata & i've always wondered why no one grows
tigernuts there or in the states for horchata?

> As for the thick hot chocolate. I've never been to Spain, so I don't know
> how it is done there. But in the Bikol province of the Philippines, for
> breakfast and as snacks, we dip binutong (glutinous rice seasoned with
> coconut milk and steamed in a banana leaf wrapper) into thick hot

chocolate.
> The chocolate is prepared with freshly-roasted cacao beans that are ground
> and mixed up with water and sugar (or at least that is how it used to be
> made).

<snip>

Peter, maybe a trip to the 'old country' Spain is needed. I've never thought
of Spain as a old colonial power but as a popular tourist destinations for
many in Europe but my recent trips there, i've been seeing links to many
places & countries far & wide. One of my trips to Seville, we spent a
leisurely sunday morning drinking coffee opposite the cathedral & did a bit
of people watching as families came out of church/sunday service. I saw an
elderly man wearing a natural white linen short sleeve shirt, very similar
if not the same as the ones you would wear in the Philipines when you turn
up for sunday mass or at any official gathering, what are they called? my
friend Junior's dad wears them. This gentleman must be from the 'old' family
as people were gathering around him & paid respect to him etc. & from the
guidebook i was reading, there were still families with huge houses &
cortijos inherited from colonial days when Seville was a major trading city
& ships would come up the river with goods from all over, Latin America to
the Philipines. Later we travelled to Cadiz & stayed in the old port city &
saw numerous links to the New World.

<snip>
> The interesting thing is
> that this was how hot chocolate was drunk in Spain, in Italy, in France--
> all over Europe--until the invention of cacao powder, in the early 1800s,

> believe.

<snip>
> grinding them, and then frothing them up with lots of different spices in

> chocolatière with a molinillo. Here's a really beautiful set of molinillo
> and chocolatière that I just found on the web.
> http://www.artsmia.org/modernism/ima...ool.cfm?oid=55

<snip>

Yep... another old world/new world connection it seems. Heeheee... if you
ever come over to Europe, you'll see a few more old/new world connections!

> The Oaxacan hot chocolate is not as thick as that in the Philippines--not
> sure why. In that way, I guess the Philippines is more like Spain.

From my history lesson as a kid, i do recall the Spaniards
brought/introduced Cocoa to SE Asia & probably the rest of the world.

> I think it is because we are not dealing
> with cacao powder, but with freshly ground beans that include the beans'
> natural oils and fats.

Hahaaaa... i have an intersting story to tell you, my bro' has one of them
Italian coffee machines that has the bean hopper, grinder & water all in,
you just need to press the button & prime the steaming arm etc. Well in
parts of SE Asia like Malaysia through to Indonesia, local coffee beans are
roasted with butter to achieve a realy tasty flavour but this leaves the
beans covered in oily butter residue. He decided to use local beans instead
of the imported Italian ones etc. & the machine clogged up because of the
oils! You see, local coffee is boiled in a pot & a old muslin sock is used
to strain it. No machines & it's all done by hand. The result is a really
fragrant brew with a slighty oily film on the surface from the butter. I was
told one Italian expat living there threw out her Italian coffee & drank
local coffee everyday! Heeheee. It's highly addictive.

DC.

Tippi

Well I grow up in Hong Kong and I know about the Northern
Chinese/Taiwanese you-tiao + siu-bang (salty cakes) + soy milk
breakfast. (Maybe because my mom lived in Shanghai for a while.) It
can be served with plain, sweet, or savoury (with pickles and chili
oil) soy milk, you would dip the you-tiao into the soy milk before
biting into it. The method with the siu-bang is (to me) a little
strange, you open up the flat crispy cake and stuff the you-tiao into
it, making a kind of sandwich, which you then dip and eat.

Cruller is a name for a fried cake, and here in North American a kind
of doughnut (donut) so it's sweet. So I wouldn't call you-taio
"mandarin for crullers".
Peter Dy

"Tippi" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I grow up in Hong Kong and I know about the Northern
> Chinese/Taiwanese you-tiao + siu-bang (salty cakes) + soy milk
> breakfast. (Maybe because my mom lived in Shanghai for a while.) It
> can be served with plain, sweet, or savoury (with pickles and chili
> oil) soy milk, you would dip the you-tiao into the soy milk before
> biting into it. The method with the siu-bang is (to me) a little
> strange, you open up the flat crispy cake and stuff the you-tiao into
> it, making a kind of sandwich, which you then dip and eat.

Thanks, Tippi. Informative post, as usual from you!

What are siu-bang, though?

Peter

Peter Dy

"Tippi" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I grow up in Hong Kong and I know about the Northern
> Chinese/Taiwanese you-tiao + siu-bang (salty cakes) + soy milk
> breakfast. (Maybe because my mom lived in Shanghai for a while.) It
> can be served with plain, sweet, or savoury (with pickles and chili
> oil) soy milk, you would dip the you-tiao into the soy milk before
> biting into it. The method with the siu-bang is (to me) a little
> strange, you open up the flat crispy cake and stuff the you-tiao into
> it, making a kind of sandwich, which you then dip and eat.

Thanks, Tippi. Informative post, as usual from you!

What are siu-bang, though?

Peter

Peter Dy

"DC." > wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
>
> I believe the Horchata in Mehico & that part of the world were introduced
> by
> the Spaniards. In Southern Spain & the agricultural region of Valencia is
> where you'll find tiger nuts or chufas. It's a traditional drink but not
> many people drink it these days, you'll see it in fairgrounds or at the
> kids
> stands at fiestas next to the Helados/Ice cream etc. but generally people
> &
> kids buy all the new healthy diet stuff like yogurt etc. I even had a
> Spanish woman asking me about soya milk etc. saying how great & healthy it
> is etc. I said what about Horchata... she said it's some kind of old drink
> that they use to drink in the old days when they couldn't get milk etc.
> Then
> i told her how similar the 2 were & that maybe she should look into it. I
> also hear that the Mexicans use rice, almonds & other stuff to substitute
> for tigernuts in their Horchata & i've always wondered why no one grows
> tigernuts there or in the states for horchata?

Hmm. According to this web page, tiger nuts or chufa are actually starchy
tubers and are indeed to be found in Latin America. But I've never heard of
chufa in Mexico, and I'm pretty sure their horchata isn't made with it.
Interesting.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Nuts.html

>> As for the thick hot chocolate. I've never been to Spain, so I don't
>> know
>> how it is done there. But in the Bikol province of the Philippines, for
>> breakfast and as snacks, we dip binutong (glutinous rice seasoned with
>> coconut milk and steamed in a banana leaf wrapper) into thick hot

> chocolate.
>> The chocolate is prepared with freshly-roasted cacao beans that are
>> ground
>> and mixed up with water and sugar (or at least that is how it used to be
>> made).

> <snip>
>
> Peter, maybe a trip to the 'old country' Spain is needed. I've never
> thought
> of Spain as a old colonial power

Hehe. Well, that's actually why I'm not so interested in visiting Spain--I
hold a poor opinion of that country due to their former evil empire, even
though my father says I shouldn't think that way... And Spain had a
dictator until only a few decades ago. So, actually, Spain is one of the
last countries in Europe I'd like to visit. Yeah, it's stupid, I know. But
Iceland has Björk! Way more interesting!

but as a popular tourist destinations for
> many in Europe but my recent trips there, i've been seeing links to many
> places & countries far & wide. One of my trips to Seville, we spent a
> leisurely sunday morning drinking coffee opposite the cathedral & did a
> bit
> of people watching as families came out of church/sunday service. I saw an
> elderly man wearing a natural white linen short sleeve shirt, very similar
> if not the same as the ones you would wear in the Philipines when you turn
> up for sunday mass or at any official gathering, what are they called?

We call them "barong tagalog." I love them, though I don't personally own
one, unfortunately. Over here in the Americas, that style of shirt is
called a "guayabera," and both Mexicans and Cubans argue over origin-rights.
I think it originated in Mexico, and I'm certainly biased there, but since
the galleons travelled from Acapulco to Manila, isn't Mexico the more
logical choice for its origins? In the Philippines, however, I believe
those shirts are made with pineapple linen, thus giving them that
see-through characteristic.

[...]
>> I think it is because we are not dealing
>> with cacao powder, but with freshly ground beans that include the beans'
>> natural oils and fats.

> Hahaaaa... i have an intersting story to tell you, my bro' has one of them
> Italian coffee machines that has the bean hopper, grinder & water all in,
> you just need to press the button & prime the steaming arm etc. Well in
> parts of SE Asia like Malaysia through to Indonesia, local coffee beans
> are
> roasted with butter to achieve a realy tasty flavour but this leaves the
> beans covered in oily butter residue. He decided to use local beans
> instead
> of the imported Italian ones etc. & the machine clogged up because of the
> oils! You see, local coffee is boiled in a pot & a old muslin sock is used
> to strain it. No machines & it's all done by hand. The result is a really
> fragrant brew with a slighty oily film on the surface from the butter. I
> was
> told one Italian expat living there threw out her Italian coffee & drank
> local coffee everyday! Heeheee. It's highly addictive.

Wow! I din't know that. I know about the muslin sock, because I have
several, but not about the butter roasting. Can only imagine how that
tastes.

Peter

LeeBat

"Peter Dy" > wrote:

>We call them "barong tagalog." I love them, though I don't personally own
>one, unfortunately.

They've gotten quite fancy with them lately. Colors, multi-colors,
etc. Not to my liking but what do I know?

I like to wear my barong to parties dressed all in white. I hear
comments like, "Oooh, Mabel, this is really a ritzy affair. They even
hired a Filipino busboy."

LeeBat
the tips ain't bad either .....

LeeBat

"Peter Dy" > wrote:

>We call them "barong tagalog." I love them, though I don't personally own
>one, unfortunately.

They've gotten quite fancy with them lately. Colors, multi-colors,
etc. Not to my liking but what do I know?

I like to wear my barong to parties dressed all in white. I hear
comments like, "Oooh, Mabel, this is really a ritzy affair. They even
hired a Filipino busboy."

LeeBat
the tips ain't bad either .....

DC.

Hi Peter,

> Hmm. According to this web page, tiger nuts or chufa are actually starchy
> tubers and are indeed to be found in Latin America. But I've never heard

of
> chufa in Mexico, and I'm pretty sure their horchata isn't made with it.
> Interesting.
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Nuts.html

I was told tigernuts were native to Spain... but then who knows with all
these coming & going of stuff & produce, it could even come from your own
backyard with you knowing. LOL.

> Hehe. Well, that's actually why I'm not so interested in visiting

Spain--I
> hold a poor opinion of that country due to their former evil empire, even
> though my father says I shouldn't think that way... And Spain had a
> dictator until only a few decades ago. So, actually, Spain is one of the
> last countries in Europe I'd like to visit. Yeah, it's stupid, I know.

But
> Iceland has Björk! Way more interesting!

Icelands sounds cool, i mean COLD! why the heck do you think it's called
Iceland.. LOL. but i'm sure it's a really nice place to visit in the summer
but it must be pretty bleak in the winter. Ohh... it ain't cheap either,
apparently it's as expensive as Tokyo or even more! Post Franco Spain is
shaping up to be quite a nice place to live hence lots of Brits, Germans &
other Europeans move there & live there. So the future of Spain looks to be
pretty interesting with 1/2 of Europe descending on it every year. But
they've got to watch out for over development.

> We call them "barong tagalog." I love them, though I don't personally own
> one, unfortunately. Over here in the Americas, that style of shirt is
> called a "guayabera," and both Mexicans and Cubans argue over

origin-rights.
> I think it originated in Mexico, and I'm certainly biased there, but since
> the galleons travelled from Acapulco to Manila, isn't Mexico the more
> logical choice for its origins? In the Philippines, however, I

believe
> those shirts are made with pineapple linen, thus giving them that
> see-through characteristic.

That's it... i remember they were made from some veg. fibre or something. It
ain't all white either is it, kind of a off white in colour if i remember
correctly.

> Wow! I din't know that. I know about the muslin sock, because I have
> several, but not about the butter roasting. Can only imagine how that
> tastes.

I have a kilo of the top grade (fragrant) beans & powder but i can't see it
lasting forever, we try & reserve it for sunday mornings only & if we try
real hard, once a month. It's a treat & our neighbours know it. When we
bought ours, there were 6 bags of beans to choose from. All roasted with
butter. The cheapest gave a bitter taste, not much aroma but mainly taste.
The most expensive which was what we bought is mainly fragrant. That's what
the guy said & the locals would make a mix of 2 o 3 grades etc. He suggested
the top grade(fragrant) & one of the middle grade for taste. So we bought 2
half kilos but we ended up drinking the top grade /fragrant beans as western
tastes goes, they were out of the world!. The other stuff was indeed bitter!
We've since had another kilo of the fragrant stuff sent over to us. It costs
just over £3 for a kilo of the fragrant/top grade beans. That's about US$5+
for a kilo, is that a good price? i was told the beans were sumatran from
Indonesia. BTW... the locals there drink their coffee & tea with sweet milk
like tinned condense milk, they have to i guess as some of the cheaper
coffee tasted so bitter!

I can remember as a kid smelling the roasting of coffee beans from the back
alleyways of coffee shops... they would have one of those big oil drums cut
in half & filled 1/2 way with coffee beans & fry them with butter. I
remember them stirring it with a huge wok scoop or a mini spade etc. & later
covering the lot up & occasionally stirring the lot up again. Do they do the
same in the Philipines?

DC.

Sigvaldi Eggertsson

"DC." > wrote in message et>...

> > Iceland has Björk! Way more interesting!

> Icelands sounds cool, i mean COLD! why the heck do you think it's called
> Iceland.. LOL. but i'm sure it's a really nice place to visit in the summer
> but it must be pretty bleak in the winter.

Iceland is, due to the Gulf stream and the surrounding sea, not as
cold as the name implies. Iceland has maritime temperate climate with
mild winters and cool summers, most of Eastern and Northern Europe is
colder than Iceland in the winter,
but Iceland is usually colder than the rest of Europe in the summer
(not much though)

Tippi

"Peter Dy" > wrote
> Thanks, Tippi. Informative post, as usual from you!
>
> What are siu-bang, though?

thanks Peter! siu-bang is a flat baked pastry, round or oval, usually
made with just flour and oil, with sesame seeds and maybe spring onion
on top, or it can have a meat stuffing (like a calzone!)

Here is one version
http://wf-www.sd.cninfo.net/online/mc/sb.htm

This version shows the yiu-tiao "sandwich"
http://www.hfjb.com/zhmc/ms/200410/1002.html

This version has the meat stuffing
http://leilako.com/recipes/chinese/09092002_1.html
Peter Dy

"Tippi" > wrote in message
om...
> "Peter Dy" > wrote
>> Thanks, Tippi. Informative post, as usual from you!
>>
>> What are siu-bang, though?

> thanks Peter! siu-bang is a flat baked pastry, round or oval, usually
> made with just flour and oil, with sesame seeds and maybe spring onion
> on top, or it can have a meat stuffing (like a calzone!)

Ah, I had a feeling those are what you were talking about. And thanks for
those great photo links! Wow, never would have imagined sticking a you-tiao
in one of those. Kinda funny. I like the slightly crisp/tough texture on
the outside though, and that would be lost if you placed them in the bread.
That's one reason I'm not so fond of that dim sum item where the you-tiao
are wrapped in a sheet of rice noodle. Still, I'll have to try it out.

Actually, a few years ago, I closely watched the mother of a
Chinese-American friend of mine make spring-onion cakes. A few months
later, for Christmas in Cleveland, I made the same for my family to great
success. Alas, I've forgotten all the moves since then! Should have taken
notes...

Peter

> Here is one version
> http://wf-www.sd.cninfo.net/online/mc/sb.htm
>
> This version shows the yiu-tiao "sandwich"
> http://www.hfjb.com/zhmc/ms/200410/1002.html
>
> This version has the meat stuffing
> http://leilako.com/recipes/chinese/09092002_1.html

Peter Dy

"LeeBat" > wrote in message
> "Peter Dy" > wrote:
>
>>We call them "barong tagalog." I love them, though I don't personally own
>>one, unfortunately.

> They've gotten quite fancy with them lately. Colors, multi-colors,
> etc. Not to my liking but what do I know?
>
> I like to wear my barong to parties dressed all in white. I hear
> comments like, "Oooh, Mabel, this is really a ritzy affair. They even
> hired a Filipino busboy."
>
> LeeBat
> the tips ain't bad either .....

Hehe! Hilarious, LeeBat. Especially "Mabel"--haven't heard that name in a
good while.

Peter

Peter Dy

"DC." > wrote in message
t...
> Hi Peter,

[...]
>> Wow! I din't know that. I know about the muslin sock, because I have
>> several, but not about the butter roasting. Can only imagine how that
>> tastes.

> I have a kilo of the top grade (fragrant) beans & powder but i can't see
> it
> lasting forever, we try & reserve it for sunday mornings only & if we try
> real hard, once a month. It's a treat & our neighbours know it. When we
> bought ours, there were 6 bags of beans to choose from. All roasted with
> butter. The cheapest gave a bitter taste, not much aroma but mainly taste.
> The most expensive which was what we bought is mainly fragrant. That's
> what
> the guy said & the locals would make a mix of 2 o 3 grades etc. He
> suggested
> the top grade(fragrant) & one of the middle grade for taste. So we bought
> 2
> half kilos but we ended up drinking the top grade /fragrant beans as
> western
> tastes goes, they were out of the world!. The other stuff was indeed
> bitter!
> We've since had another kilo of the fragrant stuff sent over to us. It
> costs
> just over £3 for a kilo of the fragrant/top grade beans. That's about
> US$5+
> for a kilo, is that a good price? i was told the beans were sumatran from
> Indonesia. BTW... the locals there drink their coffee & tea with sweet
> milk
> like tinned condense milk, they have to i guess as some of the cheaper
> coffee tasted so bitter!
>
> I can remember as a kid smelling the roasting of coffee beans from the
> back
> alleyways of coffee shops... they would have one of those big oil drums
> cut
> in half & filled 1/2 way with coffee beans & fry them with butter. I
> remember them stirring it with a huge wok scoop or a mini spade etc. &
> later
> covering the lot up & occasionally stirring the lot up again. Do they do
> the
> same in the Philipines?

No, not at all, as far as I know. From what I've heard, I don't even think
coffee came to the Philippines until after the Americans took over. I'll
ask my Dad though, or maybe others here know?

DC, where did you grew up exactly? I don't recall you mentioning it. The
Dutch solidified their control of Indonesia rather late, didn't they? I'd
have to check back at my history books, but didn't they start growing cash
crops only in the early 1800s, when coffee was only just starting to become
popular in Europe? So I can see how Indonesia became very familiar with
coffee, since that was a crop the Dutch pushed heavily.

The Spaniards took over the Philippines rather early, before anyone had ever
heard of coffee in Europe. And they weren't using the Philippines for cash
crop profits like in other colonial lands, as far as I know. I imagine that
is one main reason why coffee isn't as big in the Philippines as it is in
Indonesia or Vietnam.

Peter

Peter Dy

"Sigvaldi Eggertsson" > wrote in message
om...
> "DC." > wrote in message
> et>...
>
>> > Iceland has Björk! Way more interesting!

>> Icelands sounds cool, i mean COLD! why the heck do you think it's called
>> Iceland.. LOL. but i'm sure it's a really nice place to visit in the
>> summer
>> but it must be pretty bleak in the winter.

> Iceland is, due to the Gulf stream and the surrounding sea, not as
> cold as the name implies. Iceland has maritime temperate climate with
> mild winters and cool summers, most of Eastern and Northern Europe is
> colder than Iceland in the winter,
> but Iceland is usually colder than the rest of Europe in the summer
> (not much though)

Hey, thanks for posting, Sigvaldi. I wouldn't be surprised if you were the
first person from Iceland to post on a.f.a! How's the Asian food scene over
there?

Aside from Björk, who I love, Iceland is really popular/hip these days, no?
The New York Times has had several articles on how great the rock/pop music
scene is on the islands. And then there is that movie where the Japanese
guy goes to Iceland to honor his dead parents (forgot the name of it), and I
recently saw an well-acclaimed Icelandic movie called something like "Ron"
about a wayward boy, that was quite good. And, I don't know if you know
German or not, but one of the brightest new stars on the German literature
horizon is Judith Hermann, and she had a wonderful short story in her latest
collection that took place in Iceland where the narrator was an Icelander.
That story alone made me want to head on over for a visit!

That book of hers is called, _Nichts als Gespenster_, BTW. I'm a little
more than half way through, but I don't want to finish it, 'cause it is so
good!!

Peter

DC.

<snip>
> DC, where did you grew up exactly? I don't recall you mentioning it.

Long story... i'll email you.

> The
> Dutch solidified their control of Indonesia rather late, didn't they? I'd
> have to check back at my history books, but didn't they start growing cash
> crops only in the early 1800s, when coffee was only just starting to

become
> popular in Europe? So I can see how Indonesia became very familiar with
> coffee, since that was a crop the Dutch pushed heavily.

The Spaniards & Portugese were the first to arrive in SE Asia but then in
the late 1700's to the early 1800's there was a mad rush by other colonial
European powers to establish trading ports & enclaves in SE Asia. Spices,
natural produce & the trade between China & India were the main commodity
traded. The trading ports & enclaves were later made into administrative
capitals for each colonial power as they began expanding inland in search of
more spices & natural produce. Lots of bartering also took place, not just
with produce & spices but politically. The local rulers or sultans would
seek protection from a colonial power from invading neighbouring countries
or tribes etc. & in return they would give the colonial powers the right to
harvest whatever produce they wanted etc. Hence the begining of various
trading companies like Dutch East India Trading Company etc. These obviously
led to full scale colonialisation. Funny thing... Siam or modern day
Thailand was the only country not colonised because they had a fairly strong
monarchy where the king was seen as a god like figure. I guess various
colonial powers thought it was too much trouble for them but that didn;t
stop them from trying. Cue... Anna & the King & the King & I movies etc. One
last interesting fact... Germany came fairly late in their bid to colonise
eastwards... they ended up with a group of islands that make up a fair bit
of Papua New Guinea & surrounding islands.

> The Spaniards took over the Philippines rather early, before anyone had

ever
> heard of coffee in Europe. And they weren't using the Philippines for

cash
> crop profits like in other colonial lands, as far as I know. I imagine

that
> is one main reason why coffee isn't as big in the Philippines as it is in
> Indonesia or Vietnam.

I think you're right about that one.

DC.

DC.

<snip>
> Aside from Björk, who I love, Iceland is really popular/hip these days,

no?
> The New York Times has had several articles on how great the rock/pop

music
> scene is on the islands.

Norway too... over the last 5 years or so, some wonderful melodies have been
creeping into my ears from places like Bergen. Must be the long cold nights
& very very strong coffee ; )

> And then there is that movie where the Japanese
> guy goes to Iceland to honor his dead parents (forgot the name of it),

Yes what is the name of that movie? i saw it too. Bizzare seeing that
Japanese guy dragging his suitcase across miles of snow with a full blizzard
blowing!

That reminds me... anything new & funny from Aki Kurasmaki(sp?) of Leningrad
Cowboys fame... that was one hell of a movie! or did that finnish him off
LOL.

DC.

DC.

<snip>
> Aside from Björk, who I love, Iceland is really popular/hip these days,

no?
> The New York Times has had several articles on how great the rock/pop

music
> scene is on the islands.

Norway too... over the last 5 years or so, some wonderful melodies have been
creeping into my ears from places like Bergen. Must be the long cold nights
& very very strong coffee ; )

> And then there is that movie where the Japanese
> guy goes to Iceland to honor his dead parents (forgot the name of it),

Yes what is the name of that movie? i saw it too. Bizzare seeing that
Japanese guy dragging his suitcase across miles of snow with a full blizzard
blowing!

That reminds me... anything new & funny from Aki Kurasmaki(sp?) of Leningrad
Cowboys fame... that was one hell of a movie! or did that finnish him off
LOL.

DC.

Peter Dy

"DC." <not@home> wrote in message
t...
> <snip>
>> Aside from Björk, who I love, Iceland is really popular/hip these days,

> no?
>> The New York Times has had several articles on how great the rock/pop

> music
>> scene is on the islands.

> Norway too... over the last 5 years or so, some wonderful melodies have
> been
> creeping into my ears from places like Bergen. Must be the long cold
> nights
> & very very strong coffee ; )
>
>> And then there is that movie where the Japanese
>> guy goes to Iceland to honor his dead parents (forgot the name of it),

> Yes what is the name of that movie? i saw it too. Bizzare seeing that
> Japanese guy dragging his suitcase across miles of snow with a full
> blizzard
> blowing!
>
> That reminds me... anything new & funny from Aki Kurasmaki(sp?) of
> Leningrad
> Cowboys fame... that was one hell of a movie! or did that finnish him off
> LOL.

No, no! The Finn Aki Kaurismäki has made numerous well-received films aside
from Leningrad Cowboys, which I also love!

His latest is available here in the States and it certainly should be
available in the UK
as well: The Man Without a Past. It's a very humorous film, but it's a lot
more serious than Leningrad Cowboys. It starts out very slowly, but it
eventually blossoms into a heart-warming thing. I don't remember the names
of the other films of his I've seen though...

If you like Kaurismäki's quirkiness, I'm sure you'd like Man Without a Past.
Also, consider any of the films of my fellow Clevelander, Jim Jarmusch. One
of his films, I believe it is Mystery Train, includes a cameo with Aki
Kaurismäki! Or, if you like Johnny Depp, go for Ghost Dog...

Peter

DC.

<snip>
> No, no! The Finn Aki Kaurismäki has made numerous well-received films

aside
> from Leningrad Cowboys, which I also love!
>
> His latest is available here in the States and it certainly should be
> available in the UK
> as well: The Man Without a Past. It's a very humorous film, but it's a

lot
> more serious than Leningrad Cowboys. It starts out very slowly, but it
> eventually blossoms into a heart-warming thing. I don't remember the

names
> of the other films of his I've seen though...
>
> If you like Kaurismäki's quirkiness, I'm sure you'd like Man Without a

Past.
> Also, consider any of the films of my fellow Clevelander, Jim Jarmusch.

One
> of his films, I believe it is Mystery Train, includes a cameo with Aki
> Kaurismäki! Or, if you like Johnny Depp, go for Ghost Dog...
>
> Peter

Heeheee.... seen them too, & there's that coffee connection again, coffee &
cigarettes. But i didn't know Johhny Depp was in Ghost Dog? wasn't it Forest
Whitaker?

DC.

DC.

<snip>
> No, no! The Finn Aki Kaurismäki has made numerous well-received films

aside
> from Leningrad Cowboys, which I also love!
>
> His latest is available here in the States and it certainly should be
> available in the UK
> as well: The Man Without a Past. It's a very humorous film, but it's a

lot
> more serious than Leningrad Cowboys. It starts out very slowly, but it
> eventually blossoms into a heart-warming thing. I don't remember the

names
> of the other films of his I've seen though...
>
> If you like Kaurismäki's quirkiness, I'm sure you'd like Man Without a

Past.
> Also, consider any of the films of my fellow Clevelander, Jim Jarmusch.

One
> of his films, I believe it is Mystery Train, includes a cameo with Aki
> Kaurismäki! Or, if you like Johnny Depp, go for Ghost Dog...
>
> Peter

Heeheee.... seen them too, & there's that coffee connection again, coffee &
cigarettes. But i didn't know Johhny Depp was in Ghost Dog? wasn't it Forest
Whitaker?

DC.

Peter Dy

"DC." <not@home> wrote in message
t...
> <snip>
>> No, no! The Finn Aki Kaurismäki has made numerous well-received films

> aside
>> from Leningrad Cowboys, which I also love!
>>
>> His latest is available here in the States and it certainly should be
>> available in the UK
>> as well: The Man Without a Past. It's a very humorous film, but it's a

> lot
>> more serious than Leningrad Cowboys. It starts out very slowly, but it
>> eventually blossoms into a heart-warming thing. I don't remember the

> names
>> of the other films of his I've seen though...
>>
>> If you like Kaurismäki's quirkiness, I'm sure you'd like Man Without a

> Past.
>> Also, consider any of the films of my fellow Clevelander, Jim Jarmusch.

> One
>> of his films, I believe it is Mystery Train, includes a cameo with Aki
>> Kaurismäki! Or, if you like Johnny Depp, go for Ghost Dog...
>>
>> Peter

> Heeheee.... seen them too, & there's that coffee connection again, coffee
> &
> cigarettes.

Yes, that's Jarmusch's latest. I haven't seen it yet.

But i didn't know Johhny Depp was in Ghost Dog? wasn't it Forest
> Whitaker?

I'm sorry, you're right. Johnny Depp was in Jarmusch's _Dead Man_.

Also, I think I got things mixed up above--I think it was Jarmusch that had
a cameo in a Kaurismaki film, not the other way around.

Peter

DC.

Hi Peter,

LeRoy has sent me a few of her Macaunese Eurasian recipes like Tacho &
Diablo/Devil, Ovos con jagery etc... & she's also reminded me of the
Portuguese legacy in Timor, yet another local variation of Eurasian food but
i guess with much more of a Indonesian influence. Any luck on your
(Filipino) side of things? i've given her the following...

FISH HEAD IN CLAYPOT
CRABS IN A HOT SAUCE
FISH TEMPERADU
DEVIL CUTTLEFISH
FISH MOOLIE
SEMUR(stew)
DEVIL CURRY
BABI ASSAM GARAM(tamarind pork)
GAMMON CURRY
FENG(mixed meat curry)
Chicken Debal Curry(spicy hot chicken)
Devil(spicy hot curry)

i hope to hear from you soon.

DC. <displaced_chinamanatyahoodotcodotuk>

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
. com...

> "DC." <not@home> wrote in message
> t...
> > <snip>
> >> No, no! The Finn Aki Kaurismäki has made numerous well-received films

> > aside
> >> from Leningrad Cowboys, which I also love!
> >>
> >> His latest is available here in the States and it certainly should be
> >> available in the UK
> >> as well: The Man Without a Past. It's a very humorous film, but it's a

> > lot
> >> more serious than Leningrad Cowboys. It starts out very slowly, but it
> >> eventually blossoms into a heart-warming thing. I don't remember the

> > names
> >> of the other films of his I've seen though...
> >>
> >> If you like Kaurismäki's quirkiness, I'm sure you'd like Man Without a

> > Past.
> >> Also, consider any of the films of my fellow Clevelander, Jim Jarmusch.

> > One
> >> of his films, I believe it is Mystery Train, includes a cameo with Aki
> >> Kaurismäki! Or, if you like Johnny Depp, go for Ghost Dog...
> >>
> >> Peter

> > Heeheee.... seen them too, & there's that coffee connection again,

coffee
> > &
> > cigarettes.

> Yes, that's Jarmusch's latest. I haven't seen it yet.
>

> But i didn't know Johhny Depp was in Ghost Dog? wasn't it Forest
> > Whitaker?

> I'm sorry, you're right. Johnny Depp was in Jarmusch's _Dead Man_.
>
> Also, I think I got things mixed up above--I think it was Jarmusch that

had
> a cameo in a Kaurismaki film, not the other way around.
>
> Peter

Peter Dy

"DC." <not@home> wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
>
> LeRoy has sent me a few of her Macaunese Eurasian recipes like Tacho &
> Diablo/Devil, Ovos con jagery etc... & she's also reminded me of the
> Portuguese legacy in Timor, yet another local variation of Eurasian food
> but
> i guess with much more of a Indonesian influence. Any luck on your
> (Filipino) side of things? i've given her the following...
>
> FISH HEAD IN CLAYPOT
> CRABS IN A HOT SAUCE
> FISH TEMPERADU
> DEVIL CUTTLEFISH
> FISH MOOLIE
> SEMUR(stew)
> DEVIL CURRY
> BABI ASSAM GARAM(tamarind pork)
> GAMMON CURRY
> FENG(mixed meat curry)
> Chicken Debal Curry(spicy hot chicken)
> Devil(spicy hot curry)
>
> i hope to hear from you soon.
>
> DC. <displaced_chinamanatyahoodotcodotuk>

Hey DC,

Sorry for not having emailed you yet.

Since you mentioned you were perhaps planning on writing a book, I
hesitated, since, as I think you know, I was born and raised in Cleveland,
Ohio--hence my many comments rooting on the Tribe [Cleveland baseball team.]
Go Tribe!! Go Martinez and Hafner!! [See what I mean?]

I do have several old Filipino cookbooks with lots of Eurasian recipes, and
I do have my father as a reference (born 1920). Still, I hope that any
other Filipinos brothers or sisters out there might speak up on this aspect
of our cuisine.

But I'll contact you shortly, compadre.

Peter

DC.

<snip>
> But I'll contact you shortly, compadre.

I don't think we're anywhere near book writing material, it's mainly a
collection of old recipes, stories, gossip & old cultural info. which we're
sharing with each other, perhaps one day i might make it into a online
reference with credits to contributors etc. Unless some publisher out there
really wants to publish it, then we (all contributors) might agree to it
etc. Thanks for you reply... & looking forward to your email.

luego!

DC.

mroo philpott-smythe

"Peter Dy" > wrote in
m:
> "KR" > wrote in message
> om...

>>I really like fried chinese crullers, so far really just eating them
>> plain.

> I call them yóu tiáo, even in English. I don't even know what a
> "cruller" is. Sounds like they live in a stream or something.

I grew up calling them yew char kway. You tiao is the name in pudong hua?

> Yan-Kit So has a recipe for it in her _Classic Food of China_.

> She says make soy milk as usual, except use a bit less water when
> blending it with the soaked beans (2 cups water to 1 cup soaked beans)
> to get a thicker soy milk. Then simply season with salt, soy sauce,
> chopped dried shrimp, rice vinegar, chopped scallions and hot chili
> oil. (For each cup of milk, use 1/8 tsp salt, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp
> rice vinegar, 1 tsp chopped dried shrimp, and 1 tsp chopped
> scallions.) She doesn't mention you tiao, so I'm not sure if those
> seasonings are the perfect match, but it sounds good!

Thanks for the rec.

> You tiao are great with zhou (rice congee) too, btw.

That's how I've always known them. The soy milk is an interesting take on
it.

sq
Peter Dy

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
> "Peter Dy" > wrote in
> m:
>> "KR" > wrote in message
>> om...

>>>I really like fried chinese crullers, so far really just eating them
>>> plain.

>> I call them yóu tiáo, even in English. I don't even know what a
>> "cruller" is. Sounds like they live in a stream or something.

> I grew up calling them yew char kway. You tiao is the name in pudong hua?

Yes. (putonghua)

Peter

Peter Dy

Creativity Dimitri General Cooking 18 14-10-2009 06:05 PM
Chinese Crullers Duckie ® Recipes 0 11-01-2006 06:07 PM
Nick Z's Chinese Crullers Duckie ® Recipes 0 11-07-2004 02:24 PM
Crullers (Dunkin' Donuts) PENMART01 General Cooking 9 22-01-2004 05:47 AM
meat grinder creativity [email protected] General Cooking 2 09-11-2003 11:10 PM