How to make tamarind paste?

Old 14-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Member

Default How to make tamarind paste?

Hi all, I am new here!

I am a European, but I absolutely love both eating and cooking Asian and Indian food.

Anyway, I digress ... I bought some Massaman Curry paste from my local Asian supermarket. The recipe called for tamarind paste, but all they had in the supermarket were big blocks of tamarind fruits (with seeds) squished together into a big square block.

I bought the tamarind block and went ahead and made the curry with it anyway ... it was absolutely delicious - literally indistingushable from something I would expect to be served in a good asian restaurant - so I was pleased with the result!

The only problem was that I had to keep picking the tamarind seeds out of the dish as I ate it!

Now I really like the flavour of the tamarind from the block, but how can I turn it into a paste?

I am thinking of boiling the whole block in some water until the tamarind flesh falls away from the seeds, then I can pick the seeds out, then continue to boil the mixture until it reduces to a paste that I can cool, put in a tub, and freeze.

But will that impair the flavour of the tamarind? What do you guys think?

Last edited by XmisterIS : 14-08-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 14-08-2010, 03:37 PM posted to alt.food.asian

In article , XmisterIS.6ac5718.921347
@foodbanter.com says...

[...]

Depending where you live, it can be a nice place to buy...

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acata...-Concentrated-
Paste.html#aGRO001_2dp

Gerardus
Old 14-08-2010, 05:09 PM posted to alt.food.asian

In article ,
XmisterIS wrote:

[...]

The "standard" method is to hack off the amount you need for a given
dish (usually a tablespoon or so, maybe more...), soak it in hot water
for a while (~10 minutes is fine), then strain through a sieve and
mash the pulp through to make the paste. Your suggested method might
work, but will leave you with a _lot_ of tamarind paste to store. I
don't _think_ it goes bad particularly quickly, but I don't know.
Old 15-08-2010, 04:26 AM posted to alt.food.asian

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:31:31 +0000, XmisterIS wrote:

Now I really like the flavour of the tamarind from the block, but how
can I turn it into a paste?

Soak it in the same volume of hot water, microwave gently if needed or
simmer, then press it through a colander or seive.

-sw
Old 17-08-2010, 02:14 AM posted to alt.food.asian
Ian

On 8/14/2010 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:31:31 +0000, XmisterIS wrote:

Now I really like the flavour of the tamarind from the block, but how
can I turn it into a paste?

Soak it in the same volume of hot water, microwave gently if needed or
simmer, then press it through a colander or seive.

-sw

You'll have to work the tamarind a bit to separate the flesh from the
pits. An easier alternative is the liquid tamarind you find in Thai
groceries - like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Tamarind-...2007543&sr=1-2

If you use this, though, add a little more than the recipe calls for,
since its a bit less concentrated than the pulp should be.

Ian

Old 26-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Member

I work in an Asian restaurant and we use the tamarind concentrate that Ian posted. To be honest I think its rarely worth it to make you own.
Old 27-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmisterIS View Post
[...]

You can make your own tamarind paste. Just search to any asian cooking website.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

Start of letting him do his thing... let him take control for a little bit just to get warmed up. Then, to drive him crazy, roll it all over so you are on top and tease him just the same way he was teasing you.