Member

Question Can you give me some new ideas to try when cooking Asian foods?

We eat a lot of stir fry, but it's probably really Americanized. I use fresh and/or frozen veggies, usually chicken but sometimes beef strips, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sometimes I'll make a teriyaki or General Tsaou (sp?) sauce... I usually make rice to serve this mixture over. I'd really like to try to branch out into more authentic Asian cooking. Any tips or yummy recipes? Thanks
Banned

here is one of my favorite Filipino dish:

Chayote Guisado or Sayote Guisado (Sautéed Chayote) is one of the Filipino recipes that we love so much as a family. It's also known as the "chayote squash."

Ingredients :

* 2 to 4 pieces chayote squash, pared, seeded and sliced
* 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
* 1/2 lb. pork, sliced... can use chicken breast too.
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 tomatoes, chopped
* 1 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
* salt and pepper, to taste
* water

Cooking Procedures :

1. In a pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook pork until it turns slightly brown.
2. Add garlic, onions and tomatoes. Sauté for a few minutes until tomatoes wilted.
3. Add chayote slices. Season with salt and pepper. Stir-fry for few minutes until well blended.
4. Pour in water and bring to boil. Cover, lower the heat and let it simmer until chayote is tender.
5. Correct the seasonings according to your style and liking.
6. Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish. Serve over steamed rice.

Hope you enjoy this!
Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Can you give me some new ideas to try when cooking Asian foods?

On Sun, 23 May 2010 23:45:25 -0400, starfang wrote:

> We eat a lot of stir fry, but it's probably really Americanized. I use
> fresh and/or frozen veggies, usually chicken but sometimes beef strips,
> soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sometimes I'll make a teriyaki or General
> Tsaou (sp?) sauce... I usually make rice to serve this mixture over. I'd
> really like to try to branch out into more authentic Asian cooking. Any
> tips or yummy recipes? Thanks

you might try he

<http://chinesefood.about.com/od/resourceschinesecooking/a/chinese_cooking.htm>

the gal who runs the site is pretty sound on the basics. there's a
periodic e-mail newsletter you can sign up for.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian
Ian Ian is offline

starfang wrote:
> We eat a lot of stir fry, but it's probably really Americanized. I use
> fresh and/or frozen veggies, usually chicken but sometimes beef strips,
> soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sometimes I'll make a teriyaki or General
> Tsaou (sp?) sauce... I usually make rice to serve this mixture over. I'd
> really like to try to branch out into more authentic Asian cooking. Any
> tips or yummy recipes? Thanks

There are lots of good websites you can use, or you can pick up decent
Asian cookbooks at local library sales quite often.

Here's some sites I like:

Authentic Thai Recipes by Kasma Loha-unchit
http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipe.html

Chez Pim's Pad Thai
http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2007/01...ai_for_be.html

Fuchsia Dunlop's Kung Pao:
http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/cooking/

RasaMalasia:
http://rasamalaysia.com/

Asia Society:
http://www.asiasociety.org/style-liv...ecipes/recipes

Andrea Nguyen's site:
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/
Member

Hi,

There is lots of website available on the internet who teach us that how to cook Asian food. I think you should try these websites.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhilson View Post
Hi,

There is lots of website available on the internet who teach us that how to cook Asian food. I think you should try these websites.
Less is more, by mixing light soy sauce stock and a bit of water together with garlic you can make a really basic sauce which can be used on or with almost any meats. I like to steam fish in a foil packet with ginger spring onion and the above sauce. Serve with rice and you have an incredibly healthy and tasty dinner.
Member

to tell you honestly, I love cooking with sriracha sauce. Best stuff ever.
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfang View Post
We eat a lot of stir fry, but it's probably really Americanized. I use fresh and/or frozen veggies, usually chicken but sometimes beef strips, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sometimes I'll make a teriyaki or General Tsaou (sp?) sauce... I usually make rice to serve this mixture over. I'd really like to try to branch out into more authentic Asian cooking. Any tips or yummy recipes? Thanks
Check out this recipe for fresh Ahi Tuna Appetizer on my website RecipeGate | recipe 13 for Tuna Appy
It is a bit complicated but follow the instructions and you will be well rewarded. Hope you enjoy!
Chef Zev
Member

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfang View Post
We eat a lot of stir fry, but it's probably really Americanized. I use fresh and/or frozen veggies, usually chicken but sometimes beef strips, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sometimes I'll make a teriyaki or General Tsaou (sp?) sauce... I usually make rice to serve this mixture over. I'd really like to try to branch out into more authentic Asian cooking. Any tips or yummy recipes? Thanks
Hi,,,
Can you please share the region from where you belongs to?
You can try plenty of dishes like
Lumpia
Omuraisu
Japanese Wafu Burger
Experienced Member

Location: Manila, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiundazan View Post
[...]

Nice! I haven't had this dish in years, and reading your recipe just made me crave for it. Time to go to the grocery store and get some sayote.
Noemi
Recipe-Finder: The Smart Way to Find Recipes
"Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy." ~Author Unknown

Asian Cooking hailyjohn Asian Cooking 3 03-03-2011 05:58 AM
Asian Produce - Ideas? Jennyanniedots General Cooking 4 03-09-2005 07:30 PM
asian cooking bill Diabetic 3 04-03-2005 12:56 AM
Asian Cooking [email protected] General Cooking 8 16-04-2004 04:53 AM
Frozen Southeast Asian Foods [email protected] Restaurants 2 29-12-2003 07:07 PM