Default Spicy Japanese-style Mayonnaise

Nick's Spicy Japanese-style Mayonnaise

1 cup Real Mayonnaise

4 Tbs. lemon or lime juice
2 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. Wasabi powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper powder

Combine juice, sauce and powders in a small bowl. Mix into mayonnaise. Use
in any recipe that calls for mayonnaise, for an Asian touch. All the
cayenne does is brighten the wasabi and make it endure.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
Dan Logcher

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I use wasabi and sriracha.

I use sriracha and seseme oil.

> Speaking of Japanese mayo - does anybody really like that Kewpie
> mayo? I guess it's something you have to grow up with.

It's ok.

--
Dan

Nona

On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:59:27 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>Speaking of Japanese mayo - does anybody really like that Kewpie
>mayo? I guess it's something you have to grow up with.
>
>-sw

No, I don't particularly like it too much. However, I can make Kewpie
style mayo by mixing some dashi and bit of sugar - it's too creamy and
not enough air. It really makes sense that Japanese would add some
dashi (most familiar taste) when Kewpie was invented.

Nona Myers

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote:
> []
> Maesri's sweet chili sauce (the stuff for chicken) is good mixed with
> mayo. So is the Huy Fong garlic sambal. So is this Korean strawberry
> chili paste stuff.....

Mayo is such amazing stuff. I was amazed how many different mayo
concoctions I've made and got saved. Still haven't been able ta make a good
Hollandaisse, but when the price of asparagus comes down, I'll be trying
Chefmagnus' recipe.

Fresh Kaffir lime leaves (Makrut) are going for $30.oo a pound! Want
seeds? Lemme know. How're they comin' Froglegs? Graeme?

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Graeme... in London

> wrote in message
> "Monroe, of course..." > wrote:
> > []
> > Maesri's sweet chili sauce (the stuff for chicken) is good mixed with
> > mayo. So is the Huy Fong garlic sambal. So is this Korean strawberry
> > chili paste stuff.....
> >

> Mayo is such amazing stuff. I was amazed how many different mayo
> concoctions I've made and got saved. Still haven't been able ta make a

good
> Hollandaisse, but when the price of asparagus comes down, I'll be trying
> Chefmagnus' recipe.
>
> Fresh Kaffir lime leaves (Makrut) are going for $30.oo a pound! Want
> seeds? Lemme know. How're they comin' Froglegs? Graeme?

Nick,

I tried half of them (Makrut) in some damp cotton wool for a week then
planted them out. Nothin' doing I'm afraid. The permafrost has thawed and I
can get a spade in the ground again, so I'll try the remainder again today.
The chillies are doing well.

Graeme

Nathan Lau > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Fresh Kaffir lime leaves (Makrut) are going for $30.oo a pound! Want
> > seeds? Lemme know. How're they comin' Froglegs? Graeme?

> I have a tree in the ground here, about a year old. Any tips on growing
> a healthy kaffir lime tree?

I don't remember where I got this info, Nate. We don't have bugs or leaf
drop and we get fruit. Hope it helps.

The most common problems scale insects and leaf drop. Watch the plant
closely for scale, since it is easiest to control when it first appears. If
there are only a few, you can remove them with a sharp knife or fingernail,
or you can rub them with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. If you have too many
insects to handle this way, spray the plant with an insecticidal soap at
5-day intervals, or alcohol spray (4 parts water to 3 parts rubbing
alcohol.) Any time you use an alcohol spray you should shade the plant for
the day.

Leaf drop is usually caused by wide fluctuations in temperature.

GENERAL CARE

Watering
When the soil is almost dry water the plants thoroughly, but never leave
the plant standing in water. A well drained soil is best for maintaining a
good moisture level. In winter, water just enough to keep the soil from
drying out completely.

Humidity
Plants can tolerate humidity in the summer, but prefer a low humidity in
winter.

Feeding
Use a high-nitrogen liquid fertilizer. Mix it 1/4 strength and feed the
plant weekly from mid-spring until late summer. Discontinue feedings in
winter. [We use time release pellets.]

Temperature
The summer maximum should be around 87F (30C) and the winter minimum should
be 40F(5C).

You also might check out:
http://h2othouse.com/html/kaffir_lime.html

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Nathan Lau

wrote:

>>>Fresh Kaffir lime leaves (Makrut) are going for $30.oo a pound! Want
>>>seeds? Lemme know. How're they comin' Froglegs? Graeme?

>>I have a tree in the ground here, about a year old. Any tips on growing
>>a healthy kaffir lime tree?

> I don't remember where I got this info, Nate. We don't have bugs or leaf
> drop and we get fruit. Hope it helps.
>
> The most common problems scale insects and leaf drop. Watch the plant
> closely for scale, since it is easiest to control when it first appears. If
> there are only a few, you can remove them with a sharp knife or fingernail,
> or you can rub them with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. If you have too many
> insects to handle this way, spray the plant with an insecticidal soap at
> 5-day intervals, or alcohol spray (4 parts water to 3 parts rubbing
> alcohol.) Any time you use an alcohol spray you should shade the plant for
> the day.
>
> Leaf drop is usually caused by wide fluctuations in temperature.
>
> GENERAL CARE
>
> Watering
> When the soil is almost dry water the plants thoroughly, but never leave
> the plant standing in water. A well drained soil is best for maintaining a
> good moisture level. In winter, water just enough to keep the soil from
> drying out completely.
>
> Humidity
> Plants can tolerate humidity in the summer, but prefer a low humidity in
> winter.
>
> Feeding
> Use a high-nitrogen liquid fertilizer. Mix it 1/4 strength and feed the
> plant weekly from mid-spring until late summer. Discontinue feedings in
> winter. [We use time release pellets.]
>
> Temperature
> The summer maximum should be around 87F (30C) and the winter minimum should
> be 40F(5C).
>
> You also might check out:
http://h2othouse.com/html/kaffir_lime.html

Thanks, I'll check the site out. Those conditions you list don't sound
like Bay Area weather. We get hot, dry summers and wet winters.

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Nathan Lau > wrote:
> wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> > You also might check out:
http://h2othouse.com/html/kaffir_lime.html

> Thanks, I'll check the site out. Those conditions you list don't sound
> like Bay Area weather. We get hot, dry summers and wet winters.

Growing them potted, indoors in the winter, is an option. Gotta keep 'em
pruned back. Leaves fer cookin', wood fer smoke.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/

Default PING MIRANDA=Spicy Japanese-style Mayonnaise

miranda!! i am writing this to you via this group because, somehow, i really
don't think the hilarious email addy you gave is very real. but i just
hadda write to tell you thank you for being funny in the all too often too
serious world of the internet!!!

i'd like to be friends with you, if you're willing cuz we have a lot in
common. i, too, LOVE kewpie mayo and didn't grow up with it but discovered
it whilst wandering through my fingers one day on the 'net. and, also, i,
too, LOVE marshmallow anything (including the flower).

just think...we could share jokes, recipes, flower seeds, etc. the email
address attached to this posting is my REAL address...but if you write me,
you'll hit the earthlink spam blocker..just ask to be admitted to the
address book and i'll come along and pick you up and we could go for a ride.
whaddya think??? ;p) drop me a line, miranda. and there shall be a brave
new world for us both.

wrote:

>>> Nick's Spicy Japanese-style Mayonnaise
>>>
>>> 1 cup Real Mayonnaise
>>>
>>> 4 Tbs. lemon or lime juice
>>> 2 Tbs. soy sauce
>>> 1 Tbs. Wasabi powder
>>> 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper powder

>> I use wasabi and sriracha.
>>
>> Speaking of Japanese mayo - does anybody really like that Kewpie
>> mayo? I guess it's something you have to grow up with.
>>
>> -sw

> I really do like the stuff- and I can asure you I didn't grow up with it.
> (I was a Duke's and JFG baby...) What I dislike about Kewpie is the price-
> and that by the time the stuff makes it to our local Asian market we have
> to use it quickly as the expiration date is usually less than two months
> away.
> I'm glad to see other adding wasabi to their mayonnaise. My variation is
> the lazy woman's- instead of using wasabi powder, I usually add the wasabi
> paste ( the stuff in the tube) and soy sauce to the mayonnaise I've
> spread on my
>

> ****** ATKINS DIETER ALERT******
> The remainder of the sentence contains a word that will make yous screech
> " CARBS!"
> ****** *******
>
> bread when making a sammich and mix it all together into a gloriously
> murky-green mess.
>
> Throw on some alfalfa sprouts, sliced tomato and avocado and you have
> attained nirvana.
>

> Miranda

Miranda Writes, Devil's Advocate

Default PING MIRANDA=- PING BluesAlyxx- Belated greetin's

t>, > wrote:

>miranda!! i am writing this to you via this group because, somehow, i really
>don't think the hilarious email addy you gave is very real. but i just
>hadda write to tell you thank you for being funny in the all too often too
>serious world of the internet!!!
>
>i'd like to be friends with you, if you're willing cuz we have a lot in
>common. i, too, LOVE kewpie mayo and didn't grow up with it but discovered
>it whilst wandering through my fingers one day on the 'net. and, also, i,
>too, LOVE marshmallow anything (including the flower).
>
>just think...we could share jokes, recipes, flower seeds, etc. the email
>address attached to this posting is my REAL address...but if you write me,
>you'll hit the earthlink spam blocker..just ask to be admitted to the
>address book and i'll come along and pick you up and we could go for a ride.
>whaddya think??? ;p) drop me a line, miranda. and there shall be a brave
>new world for us both.

I haven't looked in on a.f.a in a while- boyoboy have I missed out.
Bluesalyxx, you remind me of a usenet /email buddy who has a
seriously warped sensahumaa and from whom I have not heard innawhile.- and
reminding me of this person is a Good Thing ® ( Martha Stewart- on appeal)

14th, is that YOU????
Even if it's not
hugs and a Moon Pie

wrote:

>>> I use wasabi and sriracha.
>>>
>>> Speaking of Japanese mayo - does anybody really like that Kewpie
>>> mayo? I guess it's something you have to grow up with.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I really do like the stuff- and I can asure you I didn't grow up with it.
>> (I was a Duke's and JFG baby...) What I dislike about Kewpie is the price-
>> and that by the time the stuff makes it to our local Asian market we have
>> to use it quickly as the expiration date is usually less than two months
>> away.
>> I'm glad to see other adding wasabi to their mayonnaise. My variation is
>> the lazy woman's- instead of using wasabi powder, I usually add the wasabi
>> paste ( the stuff in the tube) and soy sauce to the mayonnaise I've
>> spread on my
>>

>> ****** ATKINS DIETER ALERT******
>> The remainder of the sentence contains a word that will make yous screech
>> " CARBS!"
>> ****** *******
>>
>> bread when making a sammich and mix it all together into a gloriously
>> murky-green mess.
>>
>> Throw on some alfalfa sprouts, sliced tomato and avocado and you have
>> attained nirvana.
>>

>> Miranda

> I haven't looked in on a.f.a in a while- boyoboy have I missed out.
> Bluesalyxx, you remind me of a usenet /email buddy who has a
> seriously warped sensahumaa and from whom I have not heard innawhile.- and
> reminding me of this person is a Good Thing ® ( Martha Stewart- on appeal)
>

> 14th, is that YOU????
> Even if it's not
> hugs and a Moon Pie

nope, not 14th (not even 13th!!) just i, the blue willow (bluesalyxx). i
was wondering if i'd ever hear from you...ever again, miranda. oh god,
there IS a brave new world!

oh well...i guess you've decided you don't wanna be ebuddies. (sigh). too
bad...i make a delightful pal and i even could be a chatpal (if i hafta).

well....a moon pie to you, as well; although, my doggie (hardy) is my
starlight, my only starlight. he makes me happy when skies are blue. but
he knows, oh yes he knows, how much he means to me...oh lord, please don't
take my doggums away.
(everyone can take a deep breath now)

Miranda Writes, Devil's Advocate

In article >,
> wrote:

>> I haven't looked in on a.f.a in a while- boyoboy have I missed out.
>> Bluesalyxx, you remind me of a usenet /email buddy who has a
>> seriously warped sensahumaa and from whom I have not heard innawhile.- and
>> reminding me of this person is a Good Thing ® ( Martha Stewart- on appeal)
>>

>> 14th, is that YOU????
>> Even if it's not
>> hugs and a Moon Pie
>>

>nope, not 14th (not even 13th!!) just i, the blue willow (bluesalyxx). i
>was wondering if i'd ever hear from you...ever again, miranda. oh god,
>there IS a brave new world!
>
>oh well...i guess you've decided you don't wanna be ebuddies. (sigh). too
>bad...i make a delightful pal and i even could be a chatpal (if i hafta).
>
>well....a moon pie to you, as well; although, my doggie (hardy) is my
>starlight, my only starlight. he makes me happy when skies are blue. but
>he knows, oh yes he knows, how much he means to me...oh lord, please don't
>take my doggums away.
>(everyone can take a deep breath now)

I always like to get to know somebody a bit before exchanging emails or
body fluids ; )
In the meantime, here's the 14th's site- this is who you remind me of (
and the site is full of demented humor and is, I think, funny as hell)

http://62.108.11.161/14thdisciple/index.htm

Miranda
Hey Hardy: Bow wow wow yippie o0OO0oo yippie ayyyy!