Garvin

Default Chinatowns in the US?

Does anyone have a list, or know where to get, of all the Chinatowns
in the USA? Thanks.

Pete Romfh

http://chineseculture.about.com/cs/chinatownus/

> -sw

Not mentioned in these articles are the two Chinatown areas in Houston, TX

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at Texas dot net

David Wright

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:03:41 +0000 (UTC), dei >
wrote:

>There was a very small Chinatown in downtown Pittsburgh PA, the only thing
>remaining is a restaurant;

San Antonio had a small Chinatown, too, and enough of it remained that
I remember it from my childhood in the '40s.

These were people who had helped General Pershing's troops when he was
chasing Pancho Villa, and he got them out of Mexico and helped them
settle in San Antonio.

Here's some of the story: http://tinyurl.com/2uv6j

There's no Chinatown in San Antonio now, unless you want to consider
some of the trendier neighborhoods. The children of the children of
those original "Chinese Texans" have done well! :-)

David

dei

Steve Wertz > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:03:41 +0000 (UTC), dei
> > wrote:
>
>>There was a very small Chinatown in downtown Pittsburgh PA, the only
>>thing remaining is a restaurant; there are several grocery stores of
>>various ethnicities (Chinese, Korean, SE Asian) in what used to be the
>>wholesale district (the Strip District)...there isn't a definite
>>commercial/residential neighborhood though.

> I wouldn't call the strip a Chinatown anymore than I would
> consider it an Italian Town. The Strip is made up of several
> etnic shops and stalls (like the Korean lady with the mung bean
> pancakes) and specialty [mostly food] shops.
>
> -sw

Well, Steve, I wasn't referring to the Strip as a Chinatown, but that's
where some of the Asian stores are, along with the Italian, Mexican, and
various Middle-Eastern, etc (this not being pgh.food ). I am delighted
to have an Indian store, a Middle Eastern store and a Japanese store
within walking distance of where I live (N. Oakland). But who would
care, except for me (and possibly thee)?
If you happen to be coming back to Pgh for a visit, yinz email me, m'kay?
dei

Steve Wertz > wrote in
:

<snip>

>>If you happen to be coming back to Pgh for a visit, yinz email me, m'kay?

> It's been a while since I've said 'yinz'.
>
> -sw

Heh. Thought that might catch your eye.
Garvin

Thanks to all who replied.

blake murphy

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:48:56 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:21:38 +0000 (UTC), dei
> wrote:
>
>>If you happen to be coming back to Pgh for a visit, yinz email me, m'kay?

>It's been a while since I've said 'yinz'.
>
>-sw

i thought it was spelled 'yunz.'

your pal,
blake
dei

blake murphy > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:48:56 -0600, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:21:38 +0000 (UTC), dei
> wrote:
>>
>>>If you happen to be coming back to Pgh for a visit, yinz email me,
>>>m'kay?

>>It's been a while since I've said 'yinz'.
>>
>>-sw

> i thought it was spelled 'yunz.'
>
> your pal,
> blake

Which block are you from, Blake?

Getting back on topic, sort of, a vegetarian restaurant opened recently
here in Pittsburgh that serves various "fake meat" products:
http://www.zengardenrestaurant.com/

I ate there with a friend, once we got past the concept, it was very
good. I have no idea what the stuff was, some was a soy product, and I
think some was gluten. Does anyone know about cookbooks using these
products - I thought I remembered one vaguely, but it doesn't leap to
mind...

blake murphy

:

>> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:48:56 -0600, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:

>>>It's been a while since I've said 'yinz'.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> i thought it was spelled 'yunz.'
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

>Which block are you from, Blake?

i've only been to pittsburgh once. i suspect i came across 'yunz' in
that source of all good things, usenet.

your pal,
blake
deiusenet

blake murphy > wrote in
:

> i've only been to pittsburgh once. i suspect i came across 'yunz' in
> that source of all good things, usenet.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Aw! And here I thought I'd found another ex-pat!

Bob Myers

"John Droge" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> No chinatown or koreatown etc. in Colorado, but there are places where
> people have clustered. Like Koreans in Aurora, Vietnamese on So.Federal in
> Denver and Hmong in Westminster but except for So. Federal the clusters

are
> pretty diffuse.

Denver also has Sakura Square, a one-block mostly-Japanese
shopping center and apartment complex, on Lawrence St.
downtown. Several Japanese restaurants/sushi bars, the Buddhist
temple, and Pacific Mercantile, which is just about the best place
in town to get various Asian food items.

Bob M.

Emmeline

(Garvin) wrote in message >...
> Does anyone have a list, or know where to get, of all the Chinatowns
> in the USA? Thanks.
>
> --

Philedelphia, PA has a medium size Chinatown. We went there in October
for a couple of days. Here is their website --
http://www.phillychinatown.com
Very good Dim Sum there.

As for Ohio... In Cleveland, I don't think there is a Chinatown. Some
of the Chinese restaurants & grocery store are located in an old
warehouse area. There is a very good Dim Sum restaurant there. In
Columbus, no Chinatown. There are a few chinese grocery stores near
OSU campus and the restaurants are scattered.
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Steve Sundberg" > wrote in message

> St. Paul, along a stretch of University Ave., has a great number of
> Vietnamese, Hmong, Lao and Cambodian restaurants, and, nearby, the
> only Turkish restaurant in the Upper Midwest.

Which Turkish restaurant? I don't remember seeing one, but I'd love to go
to a Turkish place the next time I'm in town. I drove along that stretch,
stopping at a number of grocery stores (Hmong--they thought I was one of
them, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc.) and picking up some stuffed chicken wings
at one of them. Didn't go to any of the restaurants, though we did get some
croissants and a sandwich from a Vietnamese bakery. They were fabulous,
even though they did not use real butter in their croissants.

> Btw, even Japan has a Chinatown ... in Yokohama.

And Kobe, and Nagasaki...

rona

Judy Cosler

there's a small, growing smaller, one in DC. Lots of "ethnic" action
& hubs of restaurants/groceries/citizens in the suburbs now.

wrote:

>Does anyone have a list, or know where to get, of all the Chinatowns
>in the USA? Thanks.

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((
Doug

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message
> "Steve Sundberg" > wrote in message
> >
> > St. Paul, along a stretch of University Ave., has a great number of
> > Vietnamese, Hmong, Lao and Cambodian restaurants, and, nearby, the
> > only Turkish restaurant in the Upper Midwest.
> >

> Which Turkish restaurant? I don't remember seeing one, but I'd love to go
> to a Turkish place the next time I'm in town. I drove along that stretch,
> stopping at a number of grocery stores (Hmong--they thought I was one of
> them, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc.) and picking up some stuffed chicken

wings
> at one of them. Didn't go to any of the restaurants, though we did get

some
> croissants and a sandwich from a Vietnamese bakery. They were fabulous,
> even though they did not use real butter in their croissants.
>
> > Btw, even Japan has a Chinatown ... in Yokohama.
> >

> And Kobe, and Nagasaki...

And Osaka has America Town and Europe Town.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Doug" > wrote in message

> And Osaka has America Town and Europe Town.

And Nagasaki has Haustenbosch (sp?) which is the biggest waste of space I've
ever had the displeasure of visiting. I still have no idea why it's so
popular. It looks fake, it feels fake, and it's overpriced. Hmmm, sounds
like Disneyland, except at least Disneyland has some fun rides!

Back to Chinatowns...many people think if you want good Chinese food
("authentic") you must go to Chinatown. I wonder how many Chinatowns have
lousy Chinese food. I know first hand that the three Chinatowns (that I
know of) in Japan have mostly lousy or mediocre Chinese food. In Winnipeg,
a couple of the Chinatown restaurants are good, but two of the better
restaurants are in the south end of town (which is, luckily, my end of town
:-)). Decent dim sum can only be had in Chinatown here, though, so we must
trek downtown for that.

rona