barak

Default Paneer Butter Massala (Makhani?)

Hi All

Does anybody have a recipe for this delight?
I used to eat it in india and enjoy it a lot.
It had a Red Colour (Tomato puree?)

If anyone has an Idea, please let me know.

Thanks Ahead!
Barak
Steven Grace

"barak" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi All
>
> Does anybody have a recipe for this delight?
> I used to eat it in india and enjoy it a lot.
> It had a Red Colour (Tomato puree?)
>
> If anyone has an Idea, please let me know.
>
> Thanks Ahead!
> Barak

I have a number of recipes for Murgh (chicken) Makhani.
I presume you could adapt one of those for Paneer.

Steven Grace

"Steven Grace" > wrote in message

> "barak" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi All
> >
> > Does anybody have a recipe for this delight?
> > I used to eat it in india and enjoy it a lot.
> > It had a Red Colour (Tomato puree?)
> >
> > If anyone has an Idea, please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks Ahead!
> > Barak

> I have a number of recipes for Murgh (chicken) Makhani.
> I presume you could adapt one of those for Paneer.

And here they are.

MURGH MAKHANI
Murgh Makhani
Chicken Makhani
Chicken Makhani
CHICKEN MAKHANI
Makkhani Murghi
Murgh Makhani (Chicken In Butter Sauce)

MURGH MAKHANI

Makes 4 portion

1 Whole chicken
5 Tablespoon Vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
3 teaspoon Garlic
30 g Onions
200 g Tomatoes, pureed
300 ml Evaporated milk
150 g Unsalted butter
2 Tablespoon Tomato paste
1 Tablespoon Madras curry powder
1 teaspoon whole white peppercorn
3/4 teaspoon Sugar
3/4 teaspoon Salt
250 ml Water
1/2 teaspoon ground Cardamom

Marinade

200 g Plain yoghurt
1/2 Tablespoon Ginger
1/2 Tablespoon Garlic
1 Tablespoon Tomato ketchup
1/2 Tablespoon Lime juice
1/4 Tablespoon Whole white peppercorns
1/2 Tablespoon Coriander powder
3/4 Tablespoon Cumin powder
3/4 Tablespoon Chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon Egg yellow food colouring (optional)
1 teaspoon Salt
Salt, pepper to taste

Combine all marinade ingredients and add the chicken. Set aside for about 8
hours or overnight. Preheat the oven to 230c.Place the marinated chicken on
baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Heat the vegetable oil in
frying pan or wok. Add the cumin seeds, onion and garlic, and brown over
medium
heat for about 2 minutes. Add the pureed tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
Add
Evaporated milk, unsalted butter, tomato paste, curry powder, whole white
peppercorn, Sugar, Salt and Water and allow to boil for 5 minutes. Add the
marinated chicken and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the evaporated
milk, stir and remove from heat. Before serving, add the cardamom powder

Serves 4
By CHEF BALIRAM s/o SANKARAM
Murgh Makhani

150 ml Plain yoghurt
50 g Ground almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons Chilli powder
1/4 teaspoons Crushed bay leaves
1/4 teaspoons Ground cloves
1/4 teaspoons Ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Garam masala
4 Green cardamom pod
1 t Ginger pulp
1 t Garlic pulp
400 g Tin chopped tomatoes
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 kg Chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
6 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Corn oil
2 Medium Onions, sliced
2 Tablespoons Chopped fresh coriander
4 Tablespoons single cream
Coriander sprigs for garnish

Put the yoghurt, ground almonds, all the dry spices, ginger, garlic,
tomatoes
and salt into a mixing bowl and blend together thoroughly. Put the chicken
into
a large mixing bowl and pour over the yoghurt mixture. Set aside. Melt
together
the butter and oil in a medium karahi or deep frying pan. Add the onions and
fry
for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for 7-10 minutes.
Stir in about half the coriander and mix well. Pour over the cream and stir
in
well. Bring to the boil reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked
through.
Serve garnished with the remaining chopped coriander. Serves 4
By I. Chaudhary )

Chicken Makhani

2 lb bone-in chicken pieces
200 ml yoghurt
5cm cube of ginger
8 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons lime juice
4" stick of cinnamon
8 cloves
8 cardamoms
10 black peppercorns
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
25 pounds tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 oz cream
1/2 lb unsalted butter
Salt to taste
Fresh chopped leaf coriander

Clean chicken and remove the skin. In a food processor make a smooth paste
of
yoghurt, garlic, ginger, lime juice, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns
and
the oil. Marinate the chicken in this for 6 hours. Bake the chicken in a
preheated oven for 20 minutes at 130C/250F. Put it to one side. Chop
tomatoes,
place in a pan with no water and bring to a slow boil. When the quantity has
dropped by half, strain through a fine sieve to achieve a smooth puree.
With a
clean pan commence the sauce by heating the butter. When the butter has
melted,
add the white pepper, salt, fenugreek leaves and cream. Mix the chicken
pieces
into this sauce and simmer until cooked. Garnish with the chopped coriander
leaves and serve hot with Basmati rice.

Chicken Makhani

1 medium chicken
1 teaspoon Chilli Powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon melted butter for basting
Salt to taste

Skin and clean the chicken. Make incisions with a sharp knife on breast
and leg pieces. Apply a mixture of red chilli powder, lemon juice and salt
to the chicken and leave it aside for half an hour.

Marinade
1 tablespoon natural Yoghurt
2 tablespoons ginger paste
2 tablespoons garlic paste
1 tablespoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons mustard oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt to taste

Mix red chilli powder, salt, Ginger Paste, lemon juice, Garlic Paste, Garam
Masala Powder and mustard oil to the yoghurt. Apply this marinade onto
the chicken pieces and refrigerate for 3-4 hrs. Put the chicken on to the
skewers and cook in a moderately hot tandoor or a preheated oven 200C for
8-10 minutes or until almost done. Baste it with butter and cook for another
2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.

Makhani Sauce
50 g unsalted butter
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon Ginger paste
1 teaspoon Garlic paste
2 chopped green chillies
400 g Tomato puree
1 teaspoon chilli powder
Salt to taste
2 teaspoons Sugar and/or Honey
1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi
100 ml double cream

Heat butter in a pan. Add garam masala, let it crackle, then add
Ginger paste, Garlic paste and chopped green chilies. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, salt and 200 ml of water. Bring it
to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add sugar or honey or
both and kasoori methi. Add cooked tandoori chicken pieces. Simmer for
5 minutes and then add double cream.

CHICKEN MAKHANI

60 ml natural yoghurt
1 teaspoon Ginger, crushed
1 teaspoon Salt
3 lb Chicken, skinned and cut into pieces
Oil
2 oz Butter
1 x 2.5cm Cinnamon stick
6 Cloves
6 Green cardamoms
1 Bay leaf
60 ml Soured cream
0.25 teaspoon Saffron; crushed
60 ml Double Cream
Salt to taste
2 teaspoon Ground Almonds
0.25 teaspoon Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Water

Mix yoghurt, ginger, and salt and rub into chicken. Leave to marinate
overnight.
Place in an ovenproof dish and brush with oil. Place in an oven pre-heated
375F/190C for 40-50 minutes. Reserve any liquid that may be left. In a
saucepan, melt butter and fry cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and bay leaf for 1
minute. Add sour cream and any reserved chicken liquid. Add crushed saffron
and
cream. Cover and simmer gently for 5-6 minutes. Add chicken pieces and
adjust
seasoning. Add ground almonds. Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to the
chicken. Stir until it thickens. Cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove
from
heat and serve hot with rice. Serves 4
Lalita Ahmed, Indian Cooking

Makkhani Murghi

1kg/2.2lbs chicken breast, skinned
1 1/4 teaspoons salt or to taste
1-inch cube of root ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
125g/50oz thick set natural yoghurt
Juice of one lemon

Grind the following ingredients in a coffee grinder:
1 cinnamon stick, 2 inches long; broken up
8 green cardamoms with the skin
6 whole cloves
8-10 red chillies
6-8 white peppercorns

2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 tablespoons tomato puree
225g/8oz butter
400g/14oz can of tomatoes
2 cinnamon sticks, each 2-inches long; broken up
150ml/5fl oz single cream

Wash and dry the chicken and cut into 4 by 2-inch strips.
Add the salt to the ginger and garlic and crush to a smooth pulp.
Combine the yoghurt, lemon juice and the ground spices and beat until
mixture is smooth. Place chicken in this mixture, cover and leave in a
cool place for 2-4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Put the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and when hot add the
ginger/garlic
pulp, stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 10 minutes.
Add the tomato puree and butter; cook over low heat, uncovered, for 10
minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and keep aside.
Put the tomatoes and cinnamon sticks in a separate pan, bring to a boil,
cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and adjust the heat to
medium; cook uncovered until the liquid is reduced to half its original
volume (6-8 minutes). Remove the pan from heat and allow the tomato mixture
to cool slightly.
Sieve the cooked tomatoes and discard the cinnamon sticks. Add the sieved
tomatoes to the chicken and place the pan over medium heat. Bring the liquid
to the boil, reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered for 5-6 minutes.
Add the cream, stir and mix well. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve.
Mridula Baljekar, Complete Indian Cookbook, ISBN 0 86283 802 9

Murgh Makhani (Chicken In Butter Sauce)

4 tablespoon Tomato Puree
Water to mix
1 Inch cube of fresh Ginger, peeled & grated
60 ml Single Cream
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
0.75 teaspoon Salt
0.25 teaspoon Sugar
1 Fresh Hot Green Chilli, finely chopped
0.25 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander, finely chopped
4 teaspoons Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon ground Cumin Seeds,
4 oz Unsalted Butter
Freshly cooked Tandoori style chicken, enough for 4 persons

Put the tomato paste in a clear measuring jug. Add water slowly, mixing as
you
go, to make up 8 fl oz of tomato sauce. Add the ginger, cream, garam masala,
salt, sugar, green chilli, cayenne, coriander, lemon juice, and ground
roasted
cumin seeds. Mix Well. Heat the butter in a wide sauti pan or a large frying
pan. When butter has melted, add all the ingredients in the measuring jug.
Bring
to a simmer and cook on medium heat for a minute, mixing in the butter as
you do
so. Add the hot chicken pieces (but not their accumulated juices). Stir once
and
put the chicken pieces on a warm serving Platter. Extra sauce should be
spooned
over the top.

(http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/recipes...knmakhani.html)
(http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/recipes...knmakhani.html)
(http://www.asiacuisine.com.sg/databa.../r0000355.html)

Vijay Kumar

"barak" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi All
>
> Does anybody have a recipe for this delight?
> I used to eat it in india and enjoy it a lot.
> It had a Red Colour (Tomato puree?)
>
> If anyone has an Idea, please let me know.
>
> Thanks Ahead!
> Barak

Perhaps you mean Paneer Mutter (also Matar). Mutter is Peas in Hindi. A
recipe for this can be found here
http://www.bawarchi.com/amul/dhara/dhara4.html

For other paneer dishes try http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/paneer.html

No personal connections to the above.

Robert Klute

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:41:45 -0800, "Vijay Kumar" > wrote:

>"barak" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Hi All
>>
>> Does anybody have a recipe for this delight?
>> I used to eat it in india and enjoy it a lot.
>> It had a Red Colour (Tomato puree?)
>>
>> If anyone has an Idea, please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks Ahead!
>> Barak

>Perhaps you mean Paneer Mutter (also Matar). Mutter is Peas in Hindi. A
>recipe for this can be found here
>http://www.bawarchi.com/amul/dhara/dhara4.html
>
>For other paneer dishes try http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/paneer.html

Nope, there is a vegetarian variant on Murgh Makhani that substitutes
paneer for the chicken. I have had it several times while in Mumbai
recently, and here on the left coast.

So, the suggestions to use Murgh Makhani as a base are correct. BTW,
the gravy recipe should have, in addition to tomatoes, butter and cream
in it. If not, it is a 'lo-calorie' adaptation.

kalanamak

Robert Klute wrote:

> Nope, there is a vegetarian variant on Murgh Makhani that substitutes
> paneer for the chicken.

There is also a paneer vindaloo. I had to go back to the restaurant in
BC 3 times to convince them not to make it white-woman-wimpy.
blacksalt