Good Brand of Chinese Sausage

Old 09-12-2003, 08:01 AM
Gordon 101
Usenet poster

Default Good Brand of Chinese Sausage

Steve Wertz wrote:

Finding an acceptable brand of chinese sausages can be a daunting and
task. There's so many, some of which are gristly or overly dry.
Although some include [duck or pork] liver and are considered
traditional, I like mine without.

I found a good brand the other day called "Venus". They're made in
City of Industry, CA and come in a pink-labelled package. They're
short, squat and round sausages, not long and crinkled like most of
the brands. A very good brand, IMO. The only one I'll seek out from
now on.

Just my $.02. Archiving it here so I can remember the name ;-)

-sw

Hi Steve

I haven't seen that brand in Canada. Fortunately there are many Chinese
meat shops that sell their own. The hardest part is choosing with so
many varieties and no english.
My favourite is a beef sausage, not so sweet but lots of anise.
This is the season for 'comfort foods' and one of my favourites is
congee with lots of sausage and dried mushrooms.

Gordon
Old 09-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

Gordon 101 wrote:

Steve Wertz wrote:

[...]

I usually do congee with seafood (krab stick, fish cake, and fish balls)
and preserved eggs.

--
Dan

Old 10-12-2003, 04:58 AM
slim
Usenet poster

Gordon 101 wrote:

This is the season for 'comfort foods' and one of my favourites is
congee with lots of sausage and dried mushrooms.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...laap churn dong goo jook. ;-)

I kick it up with a fried egg on top!

--
"Bubba got a blowjob, BU$H ****ed us all!" - Slim

George "The AWOL President" Bush: http://awol.gq.nu/4dawol.htm

WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html

VOTE HIM OUT! November 4, 2004
Old 24-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Maggie
Usenet poster

This is my first post here! But I've never seen that brand of sausage here.
The brand I usually like is from Wei Chuan....they also have fat stubby
sausages with good texture.

Lorea

Old 24-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol
Usenet poster

posts moved around for ease of flow

"Maggie" wrote in message

"slim" wrote in message

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...laap churn dong goo jook. ;-)

I kick it up with a fried egg on top!

This is my first post here! But I've never seen that brand of sausage

here.
The brand I usually like is from Wei Chuan....they also have fat stubby
sausages with good texture.

Lorea

I don't think that is a brand. Jook is a sort of rice porridge, laap churn
(sometimes lap cheong and other spellings) is Chinese sausage, but I don't
know what dong goo is.

rona

Old 24-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

"Maggie" wrote in message

"slim" wrote in message

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...laap churn dong goo jook. ;-)

I kick it up with a fried egg on top!

This is my first post here! But I've never seen that brand of sausage

here.

The brand I usually like is from Wei Chuan....they also have fat stubby
sausages with good texture.

Lorea

I don't think that is a brand. Jook is a sort of rice porridge, laap churn
(sometimes lap cheong and other spellings) is Chinese sausage, but I don't
know what dong goo is.

Dong is the sticky rice wrapped in lotus or banana leaves, if I'm
remembering correctly. It usually contains small chunks of lap chiang,
chicken, mushrooms, and dried shrimp.

--
Dan

Old 24-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol
Usenet poster

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message

Dong is the sticky rice wrapped in lotus or banana leaves, if I'm
remembering correctly. It usually contains small chunks of lap chiang,
chicken, mushrooms, and dried shrimp.

--
Dan

Do you think "laap churn dong goo jook" would be sticky rice with lap cheong
that has been made into jook? That sounds a bit odd to me. Especially with
the fried egg served on top the poster mentioned. Maybe he meant lap cheong
dong, lap cheong goo, and lap cheong jook?

rona
--
***For e-ail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

Old 24-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message

Dong is the sticky rice wrapped in lotus or banana leaves, if I'm
remembering correctly. It usually contains small chunks of lap chiang,
chicken, mushrooms, and dried shrimp.

Do you think "laap churn dong goo jook" would be sticky rice with lap cheong
that has been made into jook? That sounds a bit odd to me. Especially with
the fried egg served on top the poster mentioned. Maybe he meant lap cheong
dong, lap cheong goo, and lap cheong jook?

Could be.. I wasn't paying attention. I'm making jook right now, so I
think I'll throw a lap chiang in there for flavor.

--
Dan

Old 24-01-2004, 10:50 PM
what?
Usenet poster

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message
Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message

Dong is the sticky rice wrapped in lotus or banana leaves, if I'm
remembering correctly. It usually contains small chunks of lap chiang,
chicken, mushrooms, and dried shrimp.

Do you think "laap churn dong goo jook" would be sticky rice with lap

cheong
that has been made into jook? That sounds a bit odd to me. Especially

with
the fried egg served on top the poster mentioned. Maybe he meant lap

cheong
dong, lap cheong goo, and lap cheong jook?

Laap churn = wind dried pork sausage
Dong goo = dried Chinese mushrooms
Jook = congee

Old 25-01-2004, 02:28 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol
Usenet poster

"what?" wrote in message ...

Laap churn = wind dried pork sausage
Dong goo = dried Chinese mushrooms
Jook = congee

Ooooohhhh! Now that makes perfect sense! You like fried eggs with your
Jook? Interesting...

There's a Chinese restaurant in Bangkok called the Jook Club--or it may have
been the Joke Club. They supposedly have very good Jook, though we went
there for dinner so we did not have any. It was the most expensive meal
I've ever had in Thailand--about B3000 for 3 people. What a meal it was,
though!

rona

Old 25-01-2004, 04:39 AM
Dan Logcher

"what?" wrote in message ...

Laap churn = wind dried pork sausage
Dong goo = dried Chinese mushrooms
Jook = congee

Ooooohhhh! Now that makes perfect sense! You like fried eggs with your
Jook? Interesting...

A fried egg on jook.. I will have to try that. My wife loved fried
eggs on rice. So that wouldn't be much different.

--
Dan

Old 25-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Tippi
Usenet poster

Dan Logcher wrote

Dong is the sticky rice wrapped in lotus or banana leaves, if I'm
remembering correctly. It usually contains small chunks of lap chiang,
chicken, mushrooms, and dried shrimp.

You are mixing up "nor mai gai" at dim sum and "joong". "Nor mai gai"
is made with all of what you said (but the lazy restaurents just make
it with pork).
"Joong" is made with sticky rice (and lentils), and usually has pork,
and perhaps mushrooms (dong goo) and dried shrimp, but rarely lap
cheong or chicken.
Old 25-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

Tippi wrote:

Dan Logcher wrote

Dong is the sticky rice wrapped in lotus or banana leaves, if I'm
remembering correctly. It usually contains small chunks of lap chiang,
chicken, mushrooms, and dried shrimp.

You are mixing up "nor mai gai" at dim sum and "joong". "Nor mai gai"
is made with all of what you said (but the lazy restaurents just make
it with pork).

My wife's family call this doong, they speak Toisanese.

"Joong" is made with sticky rice (and lentils), and usually has pork,
and perhaps mushrooms (dong goo) and dried shrimp, but rarely lap
cheong or chicken.

Sounds like what we just had this morning at Dim Sum, but instead of
lentils they use peanuts. It definately had chicken and lap cheong in
it.

--
Dan