ExpatNL

Default thai iced coffee

"Heather Fair" > wrote in message
> Looking for a recipe for thai iced coffee. I've tried several I've found
> around the Net and none are even close to what you get in the better Thai
> restaurants.
> Feel free to email me directly with the recipe if you have it, just remove
> !nospam! first.
> --
> Heather Fair

thai [or malay/singapore] iced coffee is horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrid! way too
sweet and WEAK! try lao coffee. or better yet, vietnamese.
i personally don't care for the disasterous condense milk [for some reason
they just love the stuff] but the coffee alone tastes very different from
the usual western varieties. heard they add chicory, no?! nice with ice
as it't very strong but i want to taste thecoffee and not desert. just
returned from bolivia and peru today. only swiss instant coffee in sachets
(( brought along me nestle's instant espresso and used it for 4 weeks.
anyway, in thailand they also look at me funny when i tell them i don't want
any sugar in my iced coffee.

thaitotos

> thai [or malay/singapore] iced coffee is horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrid! way too
> sweet and WEAK! try lao coffee. or better yet, vietnamese.
> i personally don't care for the disasterous condense milk [for some reason
> they just love the stuff] but the coffee alone tastes very different from
> the usual western varieties. heard they add chicory, no?! nice with ice
> as it't very strong but i want to taste thecoffee and not desert. just
> returned from bolivia and peru today. only swiss instant coffee in sachets
> (( brought along me nestle's instant espresso and used it for 4 weeks.
> anyway, in thailand they also look at me funny when i tell them i don't want
> any sugar in my iced coffee.

In the past, Coffee beans in Thailand were low quality to make a cup
of coffee, so our ancestor were blend with roast tamarind seed , etc .
.. . (sorry I cannot remember), in order to get sweet smell.

So Thai iced coffee or O-lieng is just a dessert for Thai people.
But compare to O-lieng in favor of "real" coffee, Lao coffee is better
for coffee lover.
But there're many that love O-lieng and gafae yen

for more information, please visit http://www.lanabiz.com/r/siamcafe

Best regards,
Member

Location: us

This Thai iced coffee recipe is made the traditional Thai way and is surprisingly
EASY to do! It's a great way to use up leftover coffee from breakfast,
Member

Location: UK

Never tried iced coffee in Thailand but I know what you mean about the condensed milk. They use it in everything including coffee and tea. I don't care for the coffee too much but I did really enjoy the "milk tea" (again with the condensed milk !).

Thai Iced Tea AE Todd General Cooking 11 24-11-2007 12:33 AM
Thai Iced Coffee International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 22-06-2007 02:39 AM
Thai Iced Tea (6) Collection International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 31-01-2005 04:48 AM
Thai Iced Coffee Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-03-2004 01:23 PM
thai iced coffee thaitotos Asian Cooking 0 11-10-2003 08:50 AM