recommendation for best Oyster sauce

Old 10-11-2006, 04:57 PM posted to alt.food.asian

Default recommendation for best Oyster sauce

I haven't bought oyster sauce in years (DH has an aversion to it). But I
want to start using it again and I can't recall what the best brand is. I
definitely want a glass container.
Any preferences, and why?
Thanks SO much.
Dee

Old 11-11-2006, 03:55 AM posted to alt.food.asian

"Dee Randall" wrote:
I haven't bought oyster sauce in years (DH has an aversion to it). But I
want to start using it again and I can't recall what the best brand is.
I definitely want a glass container.
Any preferences, and why?
Thanks SO much.

Hi Dee,

We use Thai Mehr Krua brand (glass container) here. Why? Because that's
what my Thai wife and kids buy!

~Semper Fi~
Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 AM posted to alt.food.asian

Steve Wertz wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:27:13 -0500, Dan Logcher wrote:

wrote:

"Dee Randall" wrote:

I haven't bought oyster sauce in years (DH has an aversion to it). But I
want to start using it again and I can't recall what the best brand is.
I definitely want a glass container.
Any preferences, and why?
Thanks SO much.

Hi Dee,

We use Thai Mehr Krua brand (glass container) here. Why? Because that's
what my Thai wife and kids buy!

Lee Kum Kee.. just always have.. but I'll use whatever I guess.

Lee Kum Kee has to kinds. The premium brand, with the
gondola-thing on the front and the shiny label (costs $3-$4) is
the best. The other one has less actual oyster, sometimes
marketed under the LKK Panda sub-brand. It's still good, but the
other stuff is better.

I just bought a new bottle of the LKK Panda sub-brand.. I usually
bought the other one, but I saw this and one and got it. I'll keep
an eye for the better one.

--
Dan
Old 11-11-2006, 12:25 PM posted to alt.food.asian

Dee Randall wrote:
I haven't bought oyster sauce in years (DH has an aversion to it). But I
want to start using it again and I can't recall what the best brand is. I
definitely want a glass container.
Any preferences, and why?
Thanks SO much.
Dee

Mine is THAI : Healthy Boy Brand...

Company : Yan Wal Yun

Philippe

Old 12-11-2006, 01:39 AM posted to alt.food.asian

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:57:26 -0500, "Dee Randall"
wrote:

I haven't bought oyster sauce in years (DH has an aversion to it). But I
want to start using it again and I can't recall what the best brand is. I
definitely want a glass container.
Any preferences, and why?
Thanks SO much.
Dee

I like
Chuew Huad from Thailand
Picture of mama-san pouring some in the wok(on the label)
Oyster extractives 30%
Sugar 22.5%
Salt 19%
wheat flour 7.4%
Corn starch 3%
Sodium benzoate 0.8 %
Importer J&A Importers Inc, Vernon CA, 323.780.3998

edw
Old 12-11-2006, 04:47 PM posted to alt.food.asian

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 01:19:36 -0500, Dan Logcher wrote:

I just bought a new bottle of the LKK Panda sub-brand.. I usually
bought the other one, but I saw this and one and got it. I'll keep
an eye for the better one.

I just used some of the Panda this morning (in a chow fun with
Mae Ploy red curry paste and extra blachan/terrasi). It's
better than I remember, but still not quite as good.

-sw

Thanks for all of your recommendations. I found in a book this morning by
Von Tropp, "The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking" that she recommends on p.
558:

"Hop Sing Lung Oyster Sauce Company, 14 oz bottle with a colorful picture of
China's favorite mythologicl beast (a cross between a dragon, a lion, and a
horse) on a small label around the neck of the bottle. It is the ONLY oyster
sauce I have tasted that is properly rich, flavorful and gelatinous. I keep
oyster sauce in the refriator where it keeps indefinitely."

Thanks, all.
Dee

Old 15-11-2006, 02:20 PM posted to alt.food.asian

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:47:34 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

"Hop Sing Lung Oyster Sauce Company, 14 oz bottle with a colorful picture
of
China's favorite mythologicl beast (a cross between a dragon, a lion, and
horse) on a small label around the neck of the bottle. It is the ONLY
oyster
sauce I have tasted that is properly rich, flavorful and gelatinous. I
keep
oyster sauce in the refriator where it keeps indefinitely."

I shop a lot of Asian stores and can't say I've seen that one for
sale here, but I can't find a picture of it on the net. Let us
know if you find it and what the ingredients are.

Here it is:
http://images.yifanmall.com/253b.jpg

Look a lot like the LKK Premium label colorwise. Kinda does look
familiar now.

-sw

An unexpected dental appointment today takes me to the area of a big Asian
store in Centerville, VA. I will look there for it; I'll be happy to find
it -- and let you know.
Dee

Old 16-11-2006, 06:43 AM posted to alt.food.asian

[...]

I did not find the Hop Sing Lung Oyster Sauce; I asked several people and
they had not seen the brand.
I bought Lee Kum Kee (boy and girl in a boat with oysters in it).

Lee Kum Kee 18 oz. $3.79, Premium Oyster Flavored Sauce, Product of USA,
Packed by Lee Kum Kee (USA) Foods, City of Industry, CA.
Ingredients: Oyster Extractives, sugar, water, mon.glut., salt, modified
corn starch, wheat flour, caramel color. Refrigerate after opening, with a
due date of 12-16-08.
Thanks for all your help, everyone.
Dee

Old 17-11-2006, 12:34 AM posted to alt.food.asian

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:43:56 -0500, Dee Randall wrote:

I did not find the Hop Sing Lung Oyster Sauce; I asked several people and
they had not seen the brand.
I bought Lee Kum Kee (boy and girl in a boat with oysters in it).

Yep - That's one of the ones I was referring to. Notice how big
those oysters are compared to the people?

-sw

Having been to China, and appreciating all kinds of Chinese art -- I did
find an appreciation (one of amusement) for this label when I bought it.
This is one of those moments for me.
:-)))
Dee

Asian lettuce wraps huck Asian Cooking 1 27-07-2006 01:05 PM
Stir- fried Beef with Oyster Sauce Duckie Recipes 0 13-01-2006 04:29 PM
Recipe: Sunset Book Compilation Mike \Piedmont\ Barbecue 0 30-10-2005 12:57 PM
Meatless Lasagna (9) Collection Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 31-12-2004 02:30 PM
BEAN CURD WITH OYSTER SAUCE Duckie Recipes 0 13-02-2004 02:29 PM