Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Default Refrigerator Sourdough

Randall Nortman wrote:
> [..]
> I think the idea is you would get different strains. The strains
> tested there were from room-temperature starters. Anyway, I have seen
> dough rise in my <5C refrigerator before.

Sure - me too. But have you considered how long it takes for the inner
part of your dough to cool down? In particular if there are gas bubbles
providing some kind of insulation from the outside cold and the critters
creating some heat when working? Also - if there is some gas dissolved
in the dough and it cools, the gas may get free, with the gluten getting
stiffer on the outside when cooled holding gas better you may get good
rises when doing that even if the critters are going to sleep slowly.

You may get different strains - but which one's. Certainly not the
regular SD critters making good bread and for sure not high performing
with high germ counts. Around freezing, water based life goes to sleep
and gets ready to change into hibernating forms to survive.

There are the other kind of "starters" around, social sugar addicts with
names like Henry or whatever, to be fed and shared.

This whole project looks retarded (in a sense of great delay) - maybe
one gets special taste out of it? I doubt it though that one can get
anything out of this which cannot be gotten with room temperature
environment and keeping a job.
> Commercial yeast can
> certainly do it, slowly.
>

>> "Matadero Creek Bakery" - hmmm..... try googling it.
>>

> Yeah, that's a little odd, but I know[1] this guy from the home
> brewing scene, which is how I stumbled upon his baking page. He seems
> to know his stuff when it comes to brewing.

Yes - I looked briefly through the page:

Not to forget a "Must have" item according to this fridge SD retarding page:

IR thermometer. Should set you back --- maybe > $ 50?

And - you can donate him a pH meter and he'll do the experimenting for you.

Go for it!

Sam