Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Dormeyer Silver Chef Stand Mixer parts

On Sep 16, 1:42?pm, postingprofile > wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:29:36 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
> > That machine probably hasn't the power to knead dough... even if you
> > can find hooks that fit a ball of dough will probably kill its motor,
> > gearing, both. To be perfectly frank with the miniscule quantity of
> > dough a machine of that small a capacity can handle you have much
> > better dough hooks at the ends of your arms.

> It came with a meat grinder and juicer, wouldn't that indicate some power?

I was going to mention that but thought, um, this guy seems to have a
decent IQ so I didn't. Since you thought to ask I'm surprised you
didn't immediately realize that the PTO to power those attachments is
geared substantially lower than the bottom gearing used for beaters.
And those old machines didn't have electronic controllers like today's
modern units. Even with modern home style mixers you still need to
use the lower speed settings with dough hooks or the overload switch
will trip, but the electronics compensate up to a point for loss of
power at slower speeds.

My recommendation is to forget about dough hooks for that machine...
doesn't even seem to be a paddle available, just beaters, must be good
reason.... probably has less capability than today's high end hand
mixers. My Kitchenaid 7 speed hand mixer is fairly new, has an
electronic controller that maintains equal power over all speeds.
There are no dough hooks available but I can buy heavy duty beaters
(essentially just larger diameter beater wires) for mixing heavier
ingredients like cookie doughs, but I didn't buy this mixer for that
use and I think such heavy use will over load and shorten it's life...
I use it almost exclusively for beating batters, and the occassional
whipping job.. This appliance works great for beating and whipping
anything, stores in a drawer and I don't need to use any special
bowls, it'll work with any container thats large enough to fit it's
beaters, so for my use it pretty much has the same capacity of a 5 qt
KA stand mixer. I don't bake any large quantities of bread anymore so
I either use my ABM or my hands. I never owned a stand mixer the size
of the typical KA, no mixer that size can mix any more dough than I
can by hand... wait a minute, yes I did, for many years I had custody
of my mother's ancient Sunbeam but I never used it even once, was
still in its carton when I donated it to the salvation army store. I
used to own a 12 quart Hobart that I bought used many years ago but
since I didn't use it in over 20 years when I moved here about five
years ago I sold it... I really have no space in my new kitchen and it
would just be a dust collector anyway. If you need to knead dough for
five pounds of bread or less (and you're not handicapped) I suggest
you use those dough hooks at the ends of your arms... in fact no
machine made can knead dough better than the human hand... I can't
imagine that anyone who isn't somehow handicapped can't easily knead
dough enough for a two pound loaf.

Sheldon