Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
snpm snpm is offline

Default record keeping

On Sep 10, 4:42 pm, hap > wrote:
> On Sep 1, 10:59 pm, Tater > wrote:
>
> > ok, started a batch of plum wine, and am wondering how i should keep
> > records on this, what should i record? acid level, inital SG,
> > ingredients added, starting SG, yeast type, camden added, ammout
> > nutrients, enzymes?

> Recently I"ve started what I call a sugar curve. A graph with the lbs
> of sugar I've added on the bottom axis and the SG on the vertical
> axis. As I add sugar to get to my desired %PA I plot the points. I
> use a regular school ruler with a 1cm = 1lb sugar scale on the bottom
> and a 1mm = .001 sg. Of course I start the vertical scale at
> sg=1.000. I like this scale because if works good on a regular size
> sheet of paper.
>
> The reason I do this is that I've made calculation errors causing me
> to add too much sugar to get my inital %PA. Doing it graphically, it's
> hard to mess up. Just assume a somewhat linear relation ship between
> the sugar added and the SG. I keep this record because I'll reuse it
> to add sugar for sweetening after stabilization. Unless the volume
> has changed the linear relationship still stands somewhat true. I
> usually just start a new graph just above the one for PA for
> sweetening. Redraw the two axis right on the top data point (make the
> top data point the origin for the new graph) . Also I have sometimes
> marked dates on this graph as SG reduces from fermentation.
>
> hap

Hap, I'll be excited to see how this works out....I am a learner...my
intuition, at least at this stage, seems to murmur that it might not
be so simple, because of the variance in sugar content of different
grapes/fruit/ingredients. I am guessing you're looking for "If I add
this much sugar, the SG will go up this much."

I wonder if your X-axis shouldnt use "no sugar added SG" as the zero-
point, rather than 1.000, since the information you seek is not truly
"water plus your sugar", but is rather "used ingredients plus your
sugar"

I have also been led to understand that the two measures you quote,
seemingly assuming interchangability, SG and PA, are not of equal
quality and parlance. SG is more accurate and reliable it seems. We
are heading into the murky less-chartered waters of metrology here, so
I shall step aside and wait on this groups reliable and stalwart
resident metrologist, who shall surely steer you right in due course.

Good luck freind! Ignore all that stems from my status of learner, as
corrected by those who really know their stuff.