Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
hap hap is offline

Default record keeping

On Sep 1, 10:59 pm, Tater > wrote:
> ok, started a batch of plum wine, and am wondering how i should keep
> records on this, what should i record? acid level, inital SG,
> ingredients added, starting SG, yeast type, camden added, ammout
> nutrients, enzymes?

Recently I"ve started what I call a sugar curve. A graph with the lbs
of sugar I've added on the bottom axis and the SG on the vertical
axis. As I add sugar to get to my desired %PA I plot the points. I
use a regular school ruler with a 1cm = 1lb sugar scale on the bottom
and a 1mm = .001 sg. Of course I start the vertical scale at
sg=1.000. I like this scale because if works good on a regular size
sheet of paper.

The reason I do this is that I've made calculation errors causing me
to add too much sugar to get my inital %PA. Doing it graphically, it's
hard to mess up. Just assume a somewhat linear relation ship between
the sugar added and the SG. I keep this record because I'll reuse it
to add sugar for sweetening after stabilization. Unless the volume
has changed the linear relationship still stands somewhat true. I
usually just start a new graph just above the one for PA for
sweetening. Redraw the two axis right on the top data point (make the
top data point the origin for the new graph) . Also I have sometimes
marked dates on this graph as SG reduces from fermentation.

hap