Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Default Aging In Bulk Vs Aging In Bottle

On Sep 1, 9:51 am, jim > wrote:
> Sounds very sensible to me.
>
> How could advice be given to fine as soon as possible after
> fermentation and get it into the bottle? Very strange and makes less
> and less sense to me. Its not the way CJJ Berry did it either and he
> really is the popular grandad of winemakers in the UK!
>
> Jim

It comes down to your basic assumptions, really - is making wine from
fresh ingredients essentially the same as making it from kits or is it
not? Clearly, there are significant differences - kits are balanced,
are not fermented with skins, etc. So given that, should they be
processed differently? - you'll get different answers from different
people. Personally, I'd tend to follow the fresh fruit winemaking
approach and I had good success with that on some kits. But I also
ended up with some kits that turned out pretty awful - is this the
kit's problem is it because a wrong method was applied to it...?

If you're new to this, I'd suggest going with the kit instructions
first to see how you like the result and only then starting to tweak
the parameters. Otherwise you're mostly just groping in the dark.

For context, there is a general consumer move towards fruitier,
younger, ready to drink wines so the suggestions in your winemaking
stores could also be influenced by that trend.

Pp