Posted to rec.food.cooking
Susan Hogarth Susan Hogarth is offline

Default Mirro pressure canner

My husband and I bought a Mirro a couple of months ago and just
started working on canning with it (100+ tomato plants!!!). We are
having an issue, though, that the release valve doesn't seem to 'rock'
the way it is described in the manual, but instead does nothing for a
minute or two then vents for 5-10 seconds continuously. We thought
this was a defect, but this review on epinions talks about Mirro's
service line saying this is normal:

http://www.epinions.com/content_400848686724

" The product must have changed since the other reviewers bought it.
The instructions tell when to start timing the processing: "When
control jiggles vigorously, reduce heat so that control rocks or
jiggles gently."
Guess what? The control has been changed so that it does not rock or
jiggle at all.

The instructions have not been updated. I found this out doing a test
run. When the control would not move in the least bit, I called the
customer service number listed. The tech told me, "Oh yeah, it doesn't
rock, it just hisses. The instructions are wrong. Sorry about that." "

I am going to call Mirro tomorrow, but is there any insight into this?
Thanks!

- Susan