Posted to alt.food.wine
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Q: least acidic red wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> Emery Davis wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:33:15 -0400
>> "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
>>
>>> I realize it may be difficult to find a
>>> commercial winery that does not barrel age
>>> reds, but it may be possible.

>> I'd guess that more wine doesn't ever see a
>> barrel than does.
>>
>> Certainly there are many areas of France
>> (Southern Rhone, Loire, South West) where
>> barrel aging is not traditional, although folks
>> are trying it to get better scores from RP.

> I think you mean "where aging in small barrels
> is not traditional". Because most wineries in
> the areas you mention use (very) large oak
> barrels.

As I thought. Thanks for the information. The
VERY large barrels offer less surface area to
volume ratio and therefore the wines can spend a
longer period in barrel without extracting
excessive oak. If I had a commercial winery, I
would use the largest barrel I could afford. The
French do know a thing or two about making
wine