Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Q: least acidic red wine

Mark wrote on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:20:31 -0400:

??>> Viceversa, when confronted with something that tastes
??>> sour, they will describe it as bitter. I recently had
??>> somebody tell me they consumed large amounts of citrus
??>> fruit because it is alkaline and is good for you, and has
??>> very low acidity, and acidity is not good for you.

ML> Not to mention that gastric juice is far more acidic than
ML> anything you're likely to drink. The pH of gastric juice
ML> is ~1 whereas few wines are lower than pH 3, meaning that
ML> they are 100-fold less acidic than what's already present
ML> in your stomach.

It's interesting what people say about acidity. Coffee is a case
in point: it's usually only slightly acidic and sometimes even
neutral. Dark roasted is less acidic than lightly roasted, to
many people's surprise. A simple Google search on say, coffee
ph, can be enlightening :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: