Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Candy themometer for meat thermometer?

Marie Lauder wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:18:33 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Why not just run out and
>> buy one of those metal skewer type meat thermometers; even a drug
>> store (like Walgreen's) has a small kitchen section? They only cost
>> a couple of bucks.

> Because most dial-type meat thermometers only go up to 200F.
> Candy needs to go up to 350F.
>
> -sw

Candy thermometers go up to 400F. That's the hard candy stage. Obviously
you've never made peanut brittle before. I'm also guessing you've never
made fudge or other soft-ball stage candies. So, bite on something chewing
like chewy peanut brittle. Or try burnt beyond reconition peanut brittle
because someone didn't have the correct candy thermometer <G>

And no, you can't use a candy thermometer for a meat thermometer.

Jill