Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Shen[_2_] Shen[_2_] is offline

Default green and white teas and blood thinners

On Aug 1, 4:33 am, juliantai > wrote:
> Dr Weill have some great things to say sometimes
>
> May be he forgot to mention some of the green tea side effects, or tea
> in general.
>
> Here is a comprehensive list of them.
>
> http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...e-effects.html
>
> And if you are worried about medical interaction, here is another
> article.
>
> http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...teraction.html
>
> Generally it is advisable to avoid drinking tea 2 hours after taking
> medication.
>
> The reality is quite complex.
>
> I am not a doctor, of course.
>
> While vitamin K has been shown to interact with courmadin in one human
> case, there is also studies that show that green tea has other blood
> thinning effects.
>
> http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...ood-clots.html
>
> Such contradictions arise in many other diseases (heart problems,
> blood pressure), simply because tea contains so many different
> compounds (caffeine etc), and they act differently to the same
> disease.
>
> I don't think it is something to be alarmed of, but definitely
> something to be aware and mindful of.
>
> Happy drinking.
>

> Julianhttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com

As a practitioner, and a tea-drinker, I'd say, "listen to your
doctor.". Although, the "jury's still out" collecting a body of work
tea interactions, compliance in regard to medication would be a
wise choice.
As far as Dr. Weil, I have enormous respect for him and consider him a
teacher. After all, he has helped in introducing Americans to a
broader, more integrative way of looking at well-being; however, he
tends to simplify information in an effort to make complementary
medicine and self-care more acceptable to an American audience.
Inadvertently, in a law-suit crazy society, with doctors' malpractice
insurance running sky-high, many physicians choose to be more cautious
and conservative when dealing with allopathic meds. This may not be a
bad thing since it seems to be a Western approach to go full-tilt with
a little advertising, i.e. green tea or soy etc. - the more the better
which may have scarey long-term prospects.
Do your research and don't hesitate to put your doctor "on the hot-
seat" and query him as to his/her sources and stats. You are, in fact,
his /her employer, and entitled to be assured that you are getting
enlightened care.
Shen