Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phred Phred is offline

Default Mortar and Pestle Recipes?

In article .com>, Honey_Bunny_025 > wrote:
>I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
>darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
>recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
>recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
>require, I mean to find it useful.

The marble pestle could be used as a substitute for more traditional
methods when making galah stew:

Place a plucked and cleaned galah in a large pot and cover with your
favourite stock. (Chicken or vegetable stock would probably be best.)

Bring the brew to a slow boil then:

Add a roughly chopped large onion.

Use the mortar and pestle to crush two fat cloves of garlic and
add that to the brew too. (Use the pestle to scrape the crushed garlic
into the pot and leave it there for later.)

Add other vegetables of choice (I like carrot, parsnip, turnip, spuds)
all roughly chopped.

Bring back to slow boil; reduce heat to a very low simmer then cover
the pot to reduce evaporation and go away for a long weekend.

On your return, test the pestle. If it's soft, add salt and
pepper to taste, chuck out the galah, and eat the pestle.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID