Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default Mortar and Pestle Recipes?

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:5ha1c1F3jltq2U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Honey_Bunny_025 wrote:
>> I bought a marble mortar and pestle not too long ago and was pretty
>> darn happy about it. However, I have been unsuccessful in finding any
>> recipes on the internet for it. Aside from pesto, does anyone have any
>> recipes that require the use of a mortar and pestle. And when I say
>> require, I mean to find it useful.

> It's used to hand-grind whole dried spices, not for specific recipes,

per
> se.
>
> Jill

French version of peppercorn steak requires cracked peppercorns placed in
grooves cut in the steak (preferrably green peppercorn). Use a mortar to
crack the peppercorns.

Some salad dressings require garlic to be made into a pasted with salt.
Use your mortar.

Some chinese and some mexican recipes require spice mixes that can be
made in a mortar. In that you toast the spices then grind them into a
blended powder.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore