Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Sure Jell or Gelatin whats the diff

In article >,
"mobile" > wrote:

> hello,
>
> some folks use flavored jello or gelatin in place of sure jell (maybe cost?)
>
> is there a problem using gelatin in place of sure jell? benefits/detriments.
>
> thanks

Gelatin is an animal product - protein-based from boiled bones and other
animal parts; pectin is a plant product - it's a carbohydrate naturally
present in fruits and vegetables (to one level or another).

Poking around the NCHFP site and other (only a couple) recipe sites, I'm
guessing that one big reason has to do with shelf stability -- of the
gelatin-thickened spread recipes I looked at, all are NOT processed and
require storage in fridge or freezer (when unopened) and are to be used
within a few weeks or a few months.

FWIW.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ