Posted to rec.food.cooking
oldhag oldhag is offline

Default Russian Mennonite Recipe search

>> We toured Western Canada for a month and ate at a Mennonite
>>restaurant in a Heritage Village near Winnipeg Manitoba. I've been
>>looking for recipes for the dishes we had and have had only a little
>>luck. We had vereniki served with a cream sauce called schmauntfatt,
>>Komst Borscht, that was excellent. The sausage that came with the
>>platter was over-cooked, but everything else was delicious.
>>
>> I've found a recipe for the Komst Borscht, and found out the the
>>vereniki was actually a perogi (sp) filled with cottage cheese, but the
>>cream sauce has been elusive. I've done a web search and had no luck
>>

>so
>

>>far. Does anyone have any idea what it may be. It wasn't just a white
>>sauce because the colour wasn't right. For dessert, we had Rhubarb
>>Plautz. I think it was a little like Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
>>..........Sharon

Sharon,
I have a very old copy of The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes.printed in
Steinbach MB. It has a few recipes for the cream gravy for the verenki.
I am not sure about copyright issues for copying the recipes here. If
someone lets me know if it's ok I would post them. I see that they have
reprinted and updated this cookbook and have been selling them at the
local farmers market here. If you are interested in a copy I could pick
one up for you. I go drive past the Heritage Village about once a
month on my way to Winnipeg, but have never stopped there.
Sounds like I should give it a try sometime soon.
oldhag