Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Marinated Mushrooms

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:05:07 -0000, rummaged

>>I'm also thinking of trying Steve's idea about simmering them for a
>>few minutes first! I was wondering if setting them in lemon juice
>>would impede the browning/graying of them a bit. Kind of like what
>>happens with apple slices?

>I dunno, my instinct is to neither simmer them nor set them in lemon
>juice. Lemon juice is going to shrink the mushrooms, as will simmering
>them, which seems to me to impede the mushrooms' ability to absorb the
>marinade.

I concur. I marinate mushrooms in olive oil, vinegar, and diced
garlic. I do not simmer them and do not use lemon juice. I stir
them from time to time, and before serving them I fish out all the
pieces of garlic. Never had any complaints, nor do they turn any
sort of wrong color.

Somebody mentioned bottled dressing. Who knows what the might do
to them. I'd avoid it.

Steve