Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

Default Homemade dill pickles question

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:06:03 -0700, Sheldon >
magnanimously proffered:

>On Jun 26, 1:59?am, bob > wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 06:02:07 -0700, Sheldon >
>> magnanimously proffered:

>> >Any home canning is risky business.

>> I've been wondering if poor reading comprehension might be one of your
>> problems ... and here you go and prove it.
>>
>> The OP was clearly talking about pickles in jars. Pickles in jars that
>> have been bottled, not canned. Whether you know it or not, there IS a
>> difference, Sheldon.

>"putting up" foods at home is called *canning*... imbecile never heard
>of canning jars. But then you're just a another low IQ bob. It's
>good they don't outlaw that name, it identifies the dumb douchebags.
>Not only have I never met a bob with a brain I've never met one man
>enough to use his real name... Robert, what a ****ed up name...
>friggin' Rodent!

Undignified and childish outburst aside, you're right, I've never
heard of canning jars - even when I sat in various kitchens watching
my grandmothers, aunts and cousins make jams, jellies, pickles and
sauces. The term for anything that went into glass was called
"bottling" and anything that went into tins was called "canning" -
which makes sense when you consider that the differences in methods,
mediums and other factors.

Glass jars were usually called Mason jars, even if they weren't that
specific brand. And cans where, not surprising, called cans.

Since terminologies can differ, even in the USA, and this is an
international newsgroup, I'd be interested hearing if other posters
use the term "bottling" or "canning" when referring to storing
processed food in glass containers.

In the meantime, I apologise unreservedly for attacking your use of
the term "canning" when referring to dill pickles in glass jars.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>