Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Lewis[_2_] Lewis[_2_] is offline

Default Tri-tip California style

To all the posts on Tri-tip.

First we trim at least 1/2 the fat off, especially any membrane.
Then a good rubbin of Kosher Salt and
Black pepper - the more the better; can also add
Lawry's Garlic Salt. Susie Q's does not beat
this rub and cost an arm and leg. Rest for an hour to two.

Good red oak firewood in our towable pit - two adjustable
grills. Start the fire, let er burn down for about 1/2 hour.
Lower grills and get em hot, rub down with a wire brush, spray
with a good coat of PAM, dump on the tri-tip, fat side down,
each one touching the other (no need heating the entire planet).

Sear on one side, turn over sear on the other side. Raise the grill,
and direct heat for 20 minutes, turn once, another 15-20 minutes
until rare, med-rare. Pull off grill and stack in foil lined ice chest.
Close
the lid and keep her closed. No lookie and yes the tri tip will keek
"cooking",
so DON"T pull it off the grill a full Medium or Well.
Options we use: add 2 bottles of beer poured on the bottom, or any other
3-4 cups of your favorite liquid. Basically, letting the tri tip
steam - staying moist and keeping warm for serving.

Hand slice or use a commercial meat slicer set at about
1/2" thick - always ACROSS the grain.

Serve with Salsa, Ranch Beans, Green Salad and grilled,
butter/garlic dipped sourdough bread.

Just our way of doing tri-tip on the grill. YES, we do call it
BBQ here in Calif.

Hope this helps where needed. Keep grillin' for the fillin'.