Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Homemade dill pickles question

In article <4wIfi.10719$tB5.8016@edtnps90>,
"BeeBop" > wrote:

> My mom makes them every summer. I have a couple jars in the pantry, made in
> summer 06. They are sealed, of course. Now, how long are they good for?

Longer than a year, though they'll lose some crunch.

> How do I know if they aren't good anymore?

Taste one. If they don't taste good, don't eat them. An off pickle
isn't going to kill you.

> I just opened a jar, and they are of course, delicious, and I HATE
> pickles, except for Mom's.

Better learn to make them yourself; Mom isn't going to be around
forever, donchaknow.

> And once a jar is opened, how long does it usually keep in the
> fridge?

A long time.

> Also, can you get botulism from homemade dill pickles?

Nope. You get botulism from *low-acid* foods. You don't get it from
pickles.

> am wondering if I should let my 2 year old son eat them.

Bad idea. He might like them a lot and then you'd have to be sharing
all the time! Unless you got sneaky about eating then when he wasn't
around. Then after a while you'd have a guilty conscience. You'd
probably wind up in a severe depression over the guilt, maybe even
suicidal. No, I thinkj it's best ‹ safest, even ‹ if you don't give
them to your little muffin. "-)

> Thanks!

You're welcome. Also, rec.food.preserving would be the better place for
this discussion. Lots of knowledgeable folks over there.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and