Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

maxine in ri > wrote:
> My Mom and sister are both on low-salt diets. When I cook for them, I
> try to use seasonings that will give the food the "sparkle" that salt
> does. Sis is so traditional she doesn't like some of my variations,
> but Mom seems to enjoy them, so I persevere.
>
> I've been using cumin lately. It seems to work well on it's own
> without salt. I've used lemon juice and crystals, and sometimes curry
> or small amounts of various hot peppers. (Mom is not a spicy food
> person.)
>
> What do others use in place of salt?

I have no medical reason to watch my salt intake but still I use very
minimal salt in dishes and never put a salt shaker out just for me and
only if someone asks. I find that sour negates the desire for salt
for me... I like different vinegars. And I use fresh herbs too. I
don't notice the salt is missing from a vinaigrette or a marinade.
But this is not to say that I don't enjoy some salty foods too, like
pickles, olives, coldcuts, canned fish, etc., but I don't eat those
very often. I think people miss not having salt much more just
because they're told to cut back. And most of the salt folks injest
they get from processed foods... cook more meals from scratch and shy
away from restaurants and you'll automatically cut your salt intake
way down.

Also there are condiments that you can easily prepare yourself and
leave out the salt, I often prepare my own mustards, and horseradish.
I promise that if you schmear a little hot oriental mustard on a slab
of meat/fish/poultry you'll never miss the salt... blend your rmustard
with some horseradish, serve with no salt added meat loaf and you'll
not think about salt.

Sheldon