Melba's Jammin'

Default Jam crisis--inversion method stinks!

In article >, "Christine"
> wrote:
(snip)
> Well that is exactly what I did, the jam was still bubbling when I
> put it in the clean jars and capped them with the lids left in a
> saucepan of hot water. I ended up with jars that sealed properly,
> but moldy jam inside them. It was low-sugar jam though. A
> full-sugar product might do better as sugar helps to preserve things,
> but after the frustration of remaking my jams, I'll be using my hot
> water bath for everything I preserve. It was mortifying to have to
> call my kid's teachers and recommend the freshly made jam we had just
> given them as a gift needed to be put in the fridge right away. (it
> was only 2 days old but not WB processed).
>
> Christine

Ugh! I feel your pain, Woman! That's a b**** of a call to have to make
-- "Uh, that great jam I gave you? Maybe it's not so great after all."

So far, I've had one seal failure - and that was a lid that was probably
5 years old. (I don't do many spreads in wide mouth jars any more.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.